The Student Room Group

What to do?

Hi guys,

I have recently been turned down by all five of my university choices and need some advice..

I was originally going to study sport rehabilitation, but then the day I was going to send off my application, my careers advisor changed my mind and I ended up going for Physiotherapy..

I had very little time to change my personal statement and in my opinion it was weak.

I got rejected by Keele, Shef Hal and Leeds Met purely on my personal statement, but i got interviews at Nottingham and Northumbria...I thought both went really well and they seemed pleased with me, but in their rejection letter they both said that there was just better candidates :frown:

My grades are fine, i am predicted A*, A, B

I know what was wrong with my personal statement and I reallly wish I could go back and change it...

My dilemma now is what to do...

I have thought about taking a year out and applying next year... as this will give me more time to get some experience and maybe even complete another A level.

However, competition for this subject is extremely high, and whos to say that it wont be like this next year (or even worse)

...I have done some research and Im thinking that maybe I should go for Occupational Therapy/Health, as a lot of this subject links with rehabilitation aspects and can lead to careers in the NHS- and many people have said that I wont be able to get a place in physiotherapy in UCAS Extra or even Clearing.

My main questions are:

-Will I be able to get a place for OT for this September?
-Is it payed for by the NHS?
-Will I have to be interviewed?
-Should I take a year out?
-Is it a good course with decent employability rates?

Im in desperate need of some help,

would appreciate it if I could get something back!

Thankyou!
Reply 1
My friend had the same problem he rung Ucas and they allowed him to apply for one more place and try! They accepted him, I think you could either do that or wait for clearance and hopefully get a place. Otherwise aapply next year but your personal statement is extremely important I got into a top university and I didn't have the grades
for it.
Reply 2
I may be wrong but i am quite sure if you apply through extra you can ask the university's if you can email them a new personal statement direct. I know someone who did it last year and they got a place but i am not sure if every university will allow you to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, like the person said above, you can add more choices and the deadline for that is June 30th but with a certain fee. There is also UCAS Extra for those who have no offers but I am not sure if your course would be listed seeing as you said it is very competitive.

Another good idea would be to just focus on your A level and get the grades. During result day, grab your phone and call uni's hoping someone missed their offer and ask for a place. If you do have the grades, they usually give you the place regardless of how your personal statement is.
Reply 4
thanks for help, just unsure about extra and clearing because my careers advisor really thinks nothing will be available-

its been really oversubscribed this year
Reply 5
If your still thinking of occupational therapy, there is still places in extra for that at quite a few university's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have had a look at them... Im just torn between- taking a risk and going for physio because it is what i want to do- or be safe and ensure that i start uni te same time as all my friends by doing occupational therapy :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by NWJ95
I have had a look at them... Im just torn between- taking a risk and going for physio because it is what i want to do- or be safe and ensure that i start uni te same time as all my friends by doing occupational therapy :frown:

Don't do something you aren't sure about just so you're on the same time frame as your friends, trust me! You'll be much happier if you focus on getting a place in the course that you really want to do. If I were you, I'd take the year to make sure that you're the best candidate you can be for next years intake of students and then if you are unsuccessful again, then go for another course. Don't settle for something else yet though, there are plenty of options :smile:. This is your life remember, you're not always going to be on the same wave length as your friends, so do what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending