The Student Room Group

Year 11 Determined Medic

Right, so I know I'm probably very early... But, I do have a lot of questions about the medicine route. Currently in my final year of GCSEs and I have decided the A levels that I want to take. I want to become a doctor, from that then a surgeon. Is chemistry, biology, psychology and maths (pure and statistics) a good choice at A level? How difficult is the material covered in A levels to the one in GCSE? THANKS :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FLAKS
Right, so I know I'm probably very early... But, I do have a lot of questions about the medicine route. Currently in my final year of GCSEs and I have decided the A levels that I want to take. I want to become a doctor, from that then a surgeon. Is chemistry, biology, psychology and maths (pure and statistics) a good choice at A level? How difficult is the material covered in A levels to the one in GCSE? THANKS :biggrin:

I would seriously advise against doing psychology. Not only is it a 'soft' subject, but it will also be almost no use to you in a medical career. I would do physics. This is a much more respected subject and more useful for a medical career.
Reply 2
Psychology *chuckles to self*
Reply 3
Original post by Asklepios
I would seriously advise against doing psychology. Not only is it a 'soft' subject, but it will also be almost no use to you in a medical career. I would do physics. This is a much more respected subject and more useful for a medical career.

I get that it's a social science, I understand that, but physics is not really needed in a career in medicine, wouldn't you say so? Maths yes, but physics not so much. The reason why I thought psychology is that there is cognitive psychology in it aswell, I guess it will help you understand what the patient might be feeling..I dunno :s-smilie:
Original post by FLAKS
I get that it's a social science, I understand that, but physics is not really needed in a career in medicine, wouldn't you say so? Maths yes, but physics not so much. The reason why I thought psychology is that there is cognitive psychology in it aswell, I guess it will help you understand what the patient might be feeling..I dunno :s-smilie:

I don't think that you would need cognitive psychology to understand human emotions, but its your choice.
Reply 5
Original post by FLAKS

Medical imaging is highly based on the physics of radiation (X-ray, CT etc.) and also magnetic fields (MRI). Radiation Oncology is another field in which physics is very important. Many fundamental physiological processes that you will learn about in medical school are based on physics such as blood flow and cardiac electrophysiology. In addition, physics will teach you analytical techniques that are highly important for medicine. One could even argue that it would be more advantageous to study physics over biology as you are likely to learn all the required biology again and biology is conceptually ver easy so easy to pick up.
Reply 6
Original post by FLAKS

Check out the medicine wiki: - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Here's a link to the medical school a-level requirements: -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Your subject choices seem to be fine. There is a quite a gap between GCSEs and A-levels, both in terms of difficulty and amount you have to learn.
Reply 7
Original post by Asklepios
Medical imaging is highly based on the physics of radiation (X-ray, CT etc.) and also magnetic fields (MRI). Radiation Oncology is another field in which physics is very important. Many fundamental physiological processes that you will learn about in medical school are based on physics such as blood flow and cardiac electrophysiology. In addition, physics will teach you analytical techniques that are highly important for medicine. One could even argue that it would be more advantageous to study physics over biology as you are likely to learn all the required biology again and biology is conceptually ver easy so easy to pick up.

The thing is, I'm predicted A* for all 3 sciences, and I have gotten A* for the first 3 triple science exams, however, I didn't see the use of physics in a medical career. Do you think doing 5 A levels and dropping 1 after AS is too much to do?
Original post by FLAKS

I agree with the what was said earlier about not picking Psychology- and it being a 'soft' subject
When I was picking my subjects I definitely knew I was going to do maths, bio, chem- it was the last one I was unsure about.

Most uni's prefer if you don't do all sciences and maths as choosing a humanities subject (like geog/history) might show your broad-minded.

To help me choose- I phoned up universities admission tutors and asked them for advice

(In the end I chose geog)
Reply 9
Original post by FLAKS
The thing is, I'm predicted A* for all 3 sciences, and I have gotten A* for the first 3 triple science exams, however, I didn't see the use of physics in a medical career. Do you think doing 5 A levels and dropping 1 after AS is too much to do?

No not really, I do the equivalent of 5 A2s atm, and I'm finding it reasonably straight forward. PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 10
Original post by badass_geek
I agree with the what was said earlier about not picking Psychology- and it being a 'soft' subject
When I was picking my subjects I definitely knew I was going to do maths, bio, chem- it was the last one I was unsure about.

Most uni's prefer if you don't do all sciences and maths as choosing a humanities subject (like geog/history) might show your broad-minded.

To help me choose- I phoned up universities admission tutors and asked them for advice

(In the end I chose geog)

I first chose Bio Chem History and Psychology, but then I decided Bio Chem Maths Psychology, and now people are making me think damn... So I was like I may aswell do, Maths Physics Biology Chemistry and Psychology :s-smilie:
Original post by FLAKS

Your subject choices are fine. But it IS a big step up from GCSE to A Level, so be prepared. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by xxKiaraxx
Your subject choices are fine. But it IS a big step up from GCSE to A Level, so be prepared. :smile:

Haha thanks (: Everyone says its a huge step and now I'm getting freaked out :P
Original post by FLAKS

You don't need any more than 4 AS levels and then 3 A2s.

Don't spread yourself too thin working on too many subjects. :smile:
Original post by FLAKS
I first chose Bio Chem History and Psychology, but then I decided Bio Chem Maths Psychology, and now people are making me think damn... So I was like I may aswell do, Maths Physics Biology Chemistry and Psychology :s-smilie:

Aw well tbh it mainly does rely on the grades you get and how well you do in your admission test

Good luck!
Original post by FLAKS

Subject choices are fine, aside from biology and chemistry you can pretty much take anything you want (except for oxbridge). I took bio, chem, maths and sociology and dropped maths after AS and I have an offer for medicine. No one cares what is 'more respected' and tbh I doubt that doing a certain subject gives you an 'advantage' once you're at med school. Do you what you enjoy and what you're likely to get the highest grade in, it's more important what you get than what you did :smile:
Original post by FLAKS
Haha thanks (: Everyone says its a huge step and now I'm getting freaked out :P

There's no need to be panicked. :smile: You just need to be aware that A levels are a lot more in depth and you can't do well just by rote learning - you really need to understand all the concepts and be able to apply them in new situations.
Reply 17
Original post by xxKiaraxx
There's no need to be panicked. :smile: You just need to be aware that A levels are a lot more in depth and you can't do well just by rote learning - you really need to understand all the concepts and be able to apply them in new situations.

Ah Thanks :biggrin: Yeah I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it is :\
Reply 18
I'm a current medical student and your subject choices are completely fine, especially if you enjoy Psychology. Maths is not even that useful for medicine really.
The only thing I would say is that it does look quite good if one of your 4 choices is non-scientific as it shows a broader base and varied interests.
Chem, Bio and Maths - with good results - are ideal for getting into Medicine. The last choice is up to you and I'd say Psychology is a great choice. Universities like you to take another subject in a separate discipline to display your broadmindedness.. something like English Lit, History, French, Psychology, they're all fine. I'd advise keeping Chemistry, Biology and Maths at A2 though. Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending