The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Applicants?

Hey!

Just curious, anyone else applying to the University of Aberdeen for 2013 start?

I'm going there in September to do English and Scottish Literature :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hiya!

I have applied for 2013 entry, for French with Hispanic Studies, but I haven't heard anything from there yet :frown: and it's my first choice, I want to go there so badly ever since going to the open day in August! Have you received an offer?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
I spoke to you in the other thread I think but hiii

I have applied for English, still waiting to hear. It's my number one choice if I get rejected then I'll be firming Glasgow I think :smile: Every day I check my e-mail multiple times thinking maybe this could be the day.
Reply 3
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Hiya!

I have applied for 2013 entry, for French with Hispanic Studies, but I haven't heard anything from there yet :frown: and it's my first choice, I want to go there so badly ever since going to the open day in August! Have you received an offer?

Wow that sounds awesome, and it's under college of humanities and social sciences - Eng/Scot Lit is too :smile: I wouldn't worry about it, I got an unconditional to Aberdeen in February but I got most of my offers in then, and now I'm still waiting on Dundee, which is really annoying Aberdeen is my first choice and I can't accept my place till Dundee stop playing hard to get, meh! :/ I seem to have got lucly actually in hearing quickly, most other people that have applied to do humanities kinda courses at Aberdeen haven't heard yet! If you meet the entry requirements though I doubt they'd reject you.

I couldn't make the open day, but I was at the applicants day a week or two ago and it was amazing! I have friends at uni in Aberdeen too and I love going up to visit them. It's a great city!
Reply 4
Original post by Leoroary
I spoke to you in the other thread I think but hiii

I have applied for English, still waiting to hear. It's my number one choice if I get rejected then I'll be firming Glasgow I think :smile: Every day I check my e-mail multiple times thinking maybe this could be the day.

Haha, hello again!

Yay, I hope you hear soon! I don't see why you'd get accepted for Glasgow and not Aberdeen though, that'd be a bit odd imo considering Glasgow ask for AAAB and Aberdeen BBBB. I hate that, I'm STILL waiting on Dundee and it's driving me mad! They send me emails every so often saying "you'll hear soon" then "you'll very soon." I mean honestly what's next "you'll hear very, very soon?!" :tongue:

So have you looked at student halls or anything? :smile:
Reply 5
Hiya!

Original post by Panda124

Well there was a chance to at the open day but by the time we had say through a few lecture things on different topics all in different buildings we were getting a bit hungry and tired so we decided not to. But I have looked online even though they don't give you many pictures. To be honest, although their accommodation (apart from the expensive ones) aren't very beautiful, that doesn't matter to me, a lot of people moan about them but you're not going to uni to live a life of luxury! I also come from a rather working class background so don't have that much money so it looks like I'd be living somewhere in the Hillhead student village. What about you? Also, what grades did you have to get an unconditional? I know our subjects are different and will have different numbers of students applying but I suppose I want to try weigh myself up, although if you've got AAAAA or something like that then I can't compete haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Well there was a chance to at the open day but by the time we had say through a few lecture things on different topics all in different buildings we were getting a bit hungry and tired so we decided not to. But I have looked online even though they don't give you many pictures. To be honest, although their accommodation (apart from the expensive ones) aren't very beautiful, that doesn't matter to me, a lot of people moan about them but you're not going to uni to live a life of luxury! I also come from a rather working class background so don't have that much money so it looks like I'd be living somewhere in the Hillhead student village. What about you? Also, what grades did you have to get an unconditional? I know our subjects are different and will have different numbers of students applying but I suppose I want to try weigh myself up, although if you've got AAAAA or something like that then I can't compete haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got indefinite price listings at the applicant day but apart from that I just looked on the website. Absolutely, I really don't mind what it looks like as at the end of the day it's what you make of it! You can do your room up within reason to make it nice and if it's clean then that's the important thing. I like to think of it as a learning experience!

Yeah I know the feeling, student life is so expensive! I'll probably be in Hillhead as well or possibly Kings Hall if I do opt for on-campus, which is now for undergrad students as opposed to postgrad like last year. Most of the on-campus accomodation is catered but I'm going for self-catered, which is mainly in Hillhead. Esslemont and Burnett are under renovation so I'm curious to see pricings for those, as they were cheap before. I'd rather be in a flat than a corridor as it seems a wee bit more homely. New Carnegie Court is out of my financial league haha, which leaves me to choose from Kings Hall on-campus (it's their only self-catered for undergrads and <21s), or South House, Esslemont and Burnett in Hillhead (the latter two prices depending). I spoke to someone in 2nd year who stayed in South House and she said it was good, big rooms and stuff. It don't mind if it's not en-suite (they're few and far between anyway) - as long my flatmates are willing to help me clean toilets haha! If I go for a self-catered flat (excluding NCC) then it'll be somewhere between £112-£125 a week, which my student loan covers. My parents are giving me a little bit of money a week, and I'm going to get a summer job so I have extra saved up so I'm not relying solely on my parents as it's not financially possible. I also do wedding singing, and most people get married in spring/summer so I get £60 an hour. Hopefully I can get a few weddings booked for summer to help me out - only got 2 so far! :/

I got 3 As and 2 Bs last year, and one of my As was an advanced higher that I sat in 5th year. My As were in music, English and French and my Bs were in maths and chemistry. This year I'm doing advanced English and I'm crashing both advanced art and higher biology. What about you? :smile: In my Aberdeen prospectus it says you need BBBB for French, that's what I needed for English. Have you had offers from anywhere else?

...If I go for a self-catered flat (excluding NCC) then it'll be somewhere between £112-£125 a week, which my student loan covers. My parents are giving me a little bit of money a week, and I'm going to get a summer job so I have extra saved up so I'm not relying solely on my parents as it's not financially possible. I also do wedding singing, and most people get married in spring/summer so I get £60 an hour. Hopefully I can get a few weddings booked for summer to help me out - only got 2 so far! :/

I got 3 As and 2 Bs last year, and one of my As was an advanced higher that I sat in 5th year. My As were in music, English and French and my Bs were in maths and chemistry. This year I'm doing advanced English and I'm crashing both advanced art and higher biology. What about you? :smile: In my Aberdeen prospectus it says you need BBBB for French, that's what I needed for English. Have you had offers from anywhere else?

Yeh, I'm going to need a student loan too, and I might qualify for this Young Students Bursary, so that should help too. I also have a job at the moment, so hopefully I'll be able to transfer to the branch wherever I go, and I've been saving up, so that should come in handy for first year.

As for grades, last year I got AABC (all higher) and this year I'm taking Advanced Higher French and History and Higher Maths, Drama and Administration. So hopefully I can get a nice enough conditional for Aberdeen, although I got a conditional for a B from Edinburgh University and an unconditional for Stirling University, which requires the same grades as Aberdeen) so you'd think it would maybe be an unconditional, but I think Aberdeen might have less places to offer and also it depends on the numbers applying. But ah well, so long as I can get there one way or another! And those are the only two places I have heard back from, still got to hear back from Heriot-Watt, St Andrews and Aberdeen of course haha. What about you? :smile:
Reply 9
Yeh, I'm going to need a student loan too, and I might qualify for this Young Students Bursary, so that should help too. I also have a job at the moment, so hopefully I'll be able to transfer to the branch wherever I go, and I've been saving up, so that should come in handy for first year.

As for grades, last year I got AABC (all higher) and this year I'm taking Advanced Higher French and History and Higher Maths, Drama and Administration. So hopefully I can get a nice enough conditional for Aberdeen, although I got a conditional for a B from Edinburgh University and an unconditional for Stirling University, which requires the same grades as Aberdeen) so you'd think it would maybe be an unconditional, but I think Aberdeen might have less places to offer and also it depends on the numbers applying. But ah well, so long as I can get there one way or another! And those are the only two places I have heard back from, still got to hear back from Heriot-Watt, St Andrews and Aberdeen of course haha. What about you? :smile:

Oh well that's good. I don't unfortunately, but I think people fail to consider that parents might be spending money on more than one child, and that the cost of being a student is, quite frankly, extortionate! Aw lucky you, I need a job soo badly but I can't find one anywhere! Wedding singing's good but it's not so consistent. I've been saving too, as if I want to move away then I need to work hard at making sure I'm able to!

Awesome, ooh drama sounds good, I'd have loved to do that but my school don't run it :/ so I'm stuck doing stupid biology which Iim rubbish at cos I'm not very science-minded. I got 42% in my prelim, although I got that for maths last year and wa stold up till a week before the exam I would fail, but got a B, it was like divine intervention as there is no way I'm that good at maths, haha! Well done on Stirling and Edinburgh, particularly Edinburgh! I got rejected from there and St Andrews as did everyone else in my year at school, even though most of us more than met their entry requirements, so well done on that! Yeah definitely, and I don't see why Aberdeen would reject you if somewhere like Edinburgh gave you a conditional! Like I said I got rejected from St Andrews and Edinburgh, got unconditionals to Glasgow and Aberdeen and I'm still waiting to hear back from Dundee. I wish they'd hurry up as I can't accept my offer till I've heard from everywhere...
Oh well that's good. I don't unfortunately, but I think people fail to consider that parents might be spending money on more than one child, and that the cost of being a student is, quite frankly, extortionate! Aw lucky you, I need a job soo badly but I can't find one anywhere! Wedding singing's good but it's not so consistent. I've been saving too, as if I want to move away then I need to work hard at making sure I'm able to!

Awesome, ooh drama sounds good, I'd have loved to do that but my school don't run it :/ so I'm stuck doing stupid biology which Iim rubbish at cos I'm not very science-minded. I got 42% in my prelim, although I got that for maths last year and wa stold up till a week before the exam I would fail, but got a B, it was like divine intervention as there is no way I'm that good at maths, haha! Well done on Stirling and Edinburgh, particularly Edinburgh! I got rejected from there and St Andrews as did everyone else in my year at school, even though most of us more than met their entry requirements, so well done on that! Yeah definitely, and I don't see why Aberdeen would reject you if somewhere like Edinburgh gave you a conditional! Like I said I got rejected from St Andrews and Edinburgh, got unconditionals to Glasgow and Aberdeen and I'm still waiting to hear back from Dundee. I wish they'd hurry up as I can't accept my offer till I've heard from everywhere...

Yeh sometimes it makes me worried thinking about money issues in uni, because I worry that either I will be brought down by money worries or not being able to do things because I don't have enough money. I also worry about how it will affect my parents, because I don't want them to have to struggle at home and through work just for me. It's also worse because of the fact that depending on where I go, I will be studying for longer than usual. If I go to Edinburgh, I will be 5 years in total (because I want to be a Secondary School teacher so would have to do a postgraduate) but in the likes of Aberdeen, because it is compulsory for me to take a year abroad it would be 6 years in total including the postgraduate because they don't count the year abroad as an academic year, so that kind of worries me because it might be so much more expensive to live in another country, although apparently you do get some money to help you out. So money issues scare me :erm:
Reply 11
Yeh sometimes it makes me worried thinking about money issues in uni, because I worry that either I will be brought down by money worries or not being able to do things because I don't have enough money. I also worry about how it will affect my parents, because I don't want them to have to struggle at home and through work just for me. It's also worse because of the fact that depending on where I go, I will be studying for longer than usual. If I go to Edinburgh, I will be 5 years in total (because I want to be a Secondary School teacher so would have to do a postgraduate) but in the likes of Aberdeen, because it is compulsory for me to take a year abroad it would be 6 years in total including the postgraduate because they don't count the year abroad as an academic year, so that kind of worries me because it might be so much more expensive to live in another country, although apparently you do get some money to help you out. So money issues scare me :erm:

Yeah me too, I think that's something most people worry about, as it is expensive. Aw that sounds like a really great thing to do! I've considered teaching myself actually, only thing is that it's so hard to get jobs in teaching nowadays :/ I can understand that, do they have any sort of funding for you doing a year abroad? You know you can apply for scholarships at Aberdeen too? Granted it's hard to get them as there's so few and you need to have confirmed your offer be it unconditional or conditional, and the forms need to be sent off by April 22nd. They've got merit scholarships based on academic results, and there's also ones that take into consideration your financial circumstances and you can get quite a lot of money each year of you get one. I'd say it's worth a look, especially if you're wanting to do a year abroad! Check on the UoA website and you can download the forms, I'm definitely applying for one! :smile:
Yeah me too, I think that's something most people worry about, as it is expensive. Aw that sounds like a really great thing to do! I've considered teaching myself actually, only thing is that it's so hard to get jobs in teaching nowadays :/ I can understand that, do they have any sort of funding for you doing a year abroad? You know you can apply for scholarships at Aberdeen too? Granted it's hard to get them as there's so few and you need to have confirmed your offer be it unconditional or conditional, and the forms need to be sent off by April 22nd. They've got merit scholarships based on academic results, and there's also ones that take into consideration your financial circumstances and you can get quite a lot of money each year of you get one. I'd say it's worth a look, especially if you're wanting to do a year abroad! Check on the UoA website and you can download the forms, I'm definitely applying for one! :smile:

Yeh that's actually a good idea :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 13
Yeh that's actually a good idea :biggrin: thanks!

No problem :smile: I got an unconditional to Dundee today, so that's all my offers in! I can finally accept my place to Aberdeen :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hey,

I've applied to aberdeen for 2013 to study geography and sociology, but im still waiting on a reply, which is really annoying because I've wanted to go there ever since I visited it last year...fingers crossed though..
Reply 15
Original post by smcgee162
Hey,

I've applied to aberdeen for 2013 to study geography and sociology, but im still waiting on a reply, which is really annoying because I've wanted to go there ever since I visited it last year...fingers crossed though..

Aw cool, sounds interesting! You're actually one of quite a few I've spoken to that still haven't heard from an Aberdeen humanities course, so I wouldn't worry too much. Either way you'll know for sure by about mid-May. Keep me posted on your offer though! I went up for their applicants day and visited friends there and loved it, it's a great wee city!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya!

Hi! We are in the same boat, I've applied for the same course and have been desperate to go to aberdeen since the open day. But I'm still waiting to hear :frown:
Original post by JasmaineVaughan
Hi! We are in the same boat, I've applied for the same course and have been desperate to go to aberdeen since the open day. But I'm still waiting to hear :frown:

You heard from any other unis?
I have an unconditional to Stirling, a conditional to strathclyde and unsuccessful from edinburgh and glasgow
Original post by smcgee162
Hey,

good luck! I am in the same situation, still waiting to hear from them, I'm planning to study Anthropology and Aberdeen is my only choice!
hope all goes well for us :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending