The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Because it has its throat slit without being stunned first.

Thus, it bleeds to death, or it suffocates depending how its throat is cut.

Stunned animals also "bleed to death".
Reply 181
Original post by Error4001
What would you regard as "in a human[e] manner"?

A manner which doesn't involve slitting an animal's throat and allowing it to 'feel' death, as it were. I realise though that my comment is a little paradoxical: killing animals is not humane at all, regardless of the manner in which it is done. I should probably become a vegetarian.
Stunned animals also "bleed to death".

Yes but the stunning desensitises them.

Its a bit like an anaesthetic under operation.....
Original post by pomegranat0
I understand your point, and I don't know which is less painful. It doesn't matter to me, I'd eat halal anyway. But how do you guarantee how the animal you're consuming had a nice life? Or death?

but can you understand before stun guns, in the west, animals were shot in the head? Ive seen videos of it. BBC. don't worry, im western myself, black caribbean so im not 'anti-western' or anything. compared to hundreds of years beforehand, halal meat was more humane than a gunshot to the face. So why fuss now stun guns have come about. This is why I believe people just want to jump on an Islamophobic media frenzy against anything Islamic. I've experienced it with my own family so I can talk.

just curious, would you avoid kosher meat as badly? They perform it the same way. Hence Muslims can eat kosher meat. But no big media frezy over kosher.

I personally have nothing wrong with the fact that prayers were said or whatever. In fact, I can kind of find some comfort in the fact that they want to make it special. I only have a problem with the method of slaughter.

Personally, I only eat meat if I know where and how it was slaughtered and the life it lead ie free range. (My butchers usually does this for me but in the light of recent scandals and all that...) As I have said earlier My parents breed chickens for meat.
Reply 184
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Yes but the stunning desensitises them.

Its a bit like an anaesthetic under operation.....

So the actual act of stunning causes no pain to the animal?
Original post by askew116
err...from having its throat cut :rolleyes:

The cut to the throat is a swift and deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, Severing the jugular veins and the carotid artery of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact.

If this is done correctly with a sharp knife the animal won't get oxygen to it's brain and it will be incapacitated in 3-4 seconds.

Although the animals heart is still pumping, It cannot feel anything and the sudden movements you see in halal slaughters on YouTube are caused by nerve impulses.

Think of it, When you get a paper cut, You will notice it after half a second, That time is crucial when severing the throat of a chicken (in this case).

Below is a video of the process, It is graphic.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JlFfz0Dxh8E

So I'll ask again, What causes pain to the animal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I couldn't care less if you refused it because I wouldn't have invited you in the first place.
Reply 187
This is the exact reason i hate islam, how would i be over reacting if i refused to eat halal meat, when you refuse to non-halal meat? I refuse to as i believe it to be inhumane where as you refuse to eat non-halal meat because your 'bible' tells you too... so I go by my OWN beliefs on something and you follow something a book tells you to do..

So too any islam people, would you be offended if there was a buffet selection that had only halal meat, however it would be sat next to pork as well as other food? see in my mind theres nothing wrong with eating pork its not 'dirty' as you'd say, also you're missing out on a bloody good bacon roll in the mornings! :wink:

so you refusing to eat pork is NO DIFFERENT to me refusing to eat halal meat and requesting non-halal meat.
Original post by leah_morgan
There was really no need to insult me on the matter. You've completely changed the nature of this argument by insulting my intelligence, which was totally uncalled for.

I do apologise if I had my information wrong, but like I said, there was no need to call me naive. I'm sure you're no expert on the matter either.
FYI there are other forms of slaughter that are on the same level as ritual slaughter, such as gassing. So if someone doesn't agree with the 'inhumane' way of killing an animal, they'll have to avoid a lot more meat than they'd expect. Plus what about the living conditions prior to the killing? If someone's going to complain about 'inhumane' killings, they should also avoid meat that isn't organic.

Firstly, apologies. :smile: I in no way meant to be insulting. I sometimes get a bit wound up on animal rights.

To address your points, no I am not an expert. My brother has done this though as a job and my father has worked on a farm so has some knowledge on the subject, of which I like to feel, over time I have learnt somthing from them.

As far as I am aware gassing as a form of stunning only put the animal to sleep but doesnt kill them. Like an anethstetic (sp?) at the hospital. I personally always worry about the living conditions of animals but that is because I don't like any animal to suffer.
Reply 189
Original post by Steevee
I'd eat Halal meat at a friends if that's what they served, I wouldn't buy Halal for myself though, and I'd object if it were used by my company or something.

That said, if I had an Islamic friend and I was making dinner, so long as it was no real extra hassle I'd make the effort to buy and cook Halal for them if that's what they wanted, though that's not a situation likely to ever happen.

Man said ''Islamic'' friend... LOL
Original post by Guru Jason
I personally have nothing wrong with the fact that prayers were said or whatever. In fact, I can kind of find some comfort in the fact that they want to make it special. I only have a problem with the method of slaughter.

Personally, I only eat meat if I know where and how it was slaughtered and the life it lead ie free range. (My butchers usually does this for me but in the light of recent scandals and all that...) As I have said earlier My parents breed chickens for meat.

Awesome! By the way you never told me that, must have been someone else. That's really cool. So how do your parents slaughter meat? Even a website link would be cool. If u like u can visit http://halaladvocates.net/site/our-resources/halal-islamic-slaughter/

Simple quick video on what halal meat actually is. Send me a link and you can learn a bit more, I can learn a bit more.
And how long does a chicken say, suffer for?

Any scientific evidence?

Only to be discussed once evidence for the above is presented.

If I cut the blood flow to your brain, would you say that you are brain dead?

I will answer your points soon but I have about other people to resond to :smile:
Reply 192
I would be offended because it would mean I wasted my time cooking for you. If you let me know in advance then I wouldn't be offended.
Reply 193
Original post by GPODT
Man said ''Islamic'' friend... LOL

As opposed to saying a Muslim friend, both work.
Under ritual slaughter, the nervous system remains intact. The time it takes for the animal to die causes it pain.

Evidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome! By the way you never told me that, must have been someone else. That's really cool. So how do your parents slaughter meat? Even a website link would be cool. If u like u can visit http://halaladvocates.net/site/our-resources/halal-islamic-slaughter/

Simple quick video on what halal meat actually is. Send me a link and you can learn a bit more, I can learn a bit more.

I will look at your link and if you want we can discuss halal slaughter via pm. I seem to be cluttering this thread. I am always open to new ideas and facts especially. :tongue:

I have alot of info in my house in the uk but I am studying in Germany atm so it's not just a case of popping home to get it. :biggrin:
Firstly, apologies. :smile: I in no way meant to be insulting. I sometimes get a bit wound up on animal rights.

To address your points, no I am not an expert. My brother has done this though as a job and my father has worked on a farm so has some knowledge on the subject, of which I like to feel, over time I have learnt somthing from them.

As far as I am aware gassing as a form of stunning only put the animal to sleep but doesnt kill them. Like an anethstetic (sp?) at the hospital. I personally always worry about the living conditions of animals but that is because I don't like any animal to suffer.

Thank you for apologising :smile: I'm all up for debating, but I get pretty upset and wound up when someone then makes the argument personal (which I now know you obviously had no intention of doing) :smile: I understand why you got wound up, I get wound up when I feel my beliefs are being attacked too. So no worries :smile:

Obviously you have a better understanding of what happens in that industry, whereas I have no involvement with it at all. None of my immediate family (except for one grandfather) had anything to do with agriculture. All I know about slaughter and farming is what I see on the news.

According to the BBC, gassing is a common method of slaughtering pigs, but I'm not 100% about this...

and it's anaesthetic :smile: (hope you didn't mind me correcting you :smile: )
Sure thing, then are you a vegetarian? Honestly asking, as, if an animal was killed humanely, it probably lived in inhumane, horrendous conditions. So do you only eat free range chicken? If not why care how killed when the chicken (for example )may have been jam packed into those rooms. Can't even walk.

I don't eat only organic because I can't afford it. If I could I would.

I'm not a vegetarian because I really like meat and want a high protien diet. I don't like it that animals have to die but I don't claim to be morally perfect.
Pls take the quote marks away and don't push words into my mouth. You don't need to tell me the life of the animal matters. That's what makes halal meat halal. not just the stereotypical view of cutting the throat. Actually research it yourself as people are arguing, yet -as I said- don't know what halal meat is. It's not just how you kill it.

your choice to check this out or not. For me, I research stuff before I talk.

http://halaladvocates.net/site/our-resources/halal-islamic-slaughter/

I don't particularly care if you continue to hold the views that you do, but please stop saying that you have done your research when you've shown complete ignorance. Just admit that you eat halal meat as part of your faith rather than for the welfare of the animals.
Original post by coconut2456
I don't particularly care if you continue to hold the views that you do, but please stop saying that you have done your research when you've shown complete ignorance. Just admit that you eat halal meat as part of your faith rather than for the welfare of the animals.

And the same to you

Latest