The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacob :)
I don't eat only organic because I can't afford it. If I could I would.

I'm not a vegetarian because I really like meat and want a high protien diet. I don't like it that animals have to die but I don't claim to be morally perfect.

Thats cool, man only if others could calm down and take an attitude like you. People are acting they actively avoid halal meat on a daily basis.
Original post by leah_morgan
Thank you for apologising :smile: I'm all up for debating, but I get pretty upset and wound up when someone then makes the argument personal (which I now know you obviously had no intention of doing) :smile: I understand why you got wound up, I get wound up when I feel my beliefs are being attacked too. So no worries :smile:

Obviously you have a better understanding of what happens in that industry, whereas I have no involvement with it at all. None of my immediate family (except for one grandfather) had anything to do with agriculture. All I know about slaughter and farming is what I see on the news.

According to the BBC, gassing is a common method of slaughtering pigs, but I'm not 100% about this...

and it's anaesthetic :smile: (hope you didn't mind me correcting you :smile: )

Correcting spelling is good. I am a horrible speller. Yeah, this method is mainly used on pigs. :biggrin:
Original post by Guru Jason
I will look at your link and if you want we can discuss halal slaughter via pm. I seem to be cluttering this thread. I am always open to new ideas and facts especially. :tongue:

I have alot of info in my house in the uk but I am studying in Germany atm so it's not just a case of popping home to get it. :biggrin:

Woohoo! Cool! Like I said to another guy, jacob, why other people couldn't calm down over this debate! I'm glad, you seem open minded :smile:
Original post by pomegranat0
And the same to you

After I've linked you to something which should have formed your "research"? Screw it, there's clearly no point arguing :rolleyes:
Original post by TheFrozenLake.

http://www.fawc.org.uk/reports/pb8347.pdf

It's quite long. Around page 40 onward
Original post by coconut2456
I don't particularly care if you continue to hold the views that you do, but please stop saying that you have done your research when you've shown complete ignorance. Just admit that you eat halal meat as part of your faith rather than for the welfare of the animals.

calm down, it's just the Internet. I've met such nice people on here who don't eat halal meat. Yet they don't have an in your face attitude like you. Once again, calm down. Internet.
Reply 206
Original post by Enigma55
Would I think you're overreacting? Yes

That's especially funny, because you are refusing meat not prepared in the halal-way for religious reasons and she is refusing to have halal meat for her personal reasons, but somehow you aren't overreacting and she is?

Tell me how that makes sense ...
Yes. As a non muslim, I have no qualms about buying halal meat. At the end of the day, meat is meat. And it's extremely difficult to cause a little pain to the animal whilst dying
Original post by Guru Jason
http://www.fawc.org.uk/reports/pb8347.pdf

It's quite long. Around page 40 onward

The report is pretty much on "possibilities" with no scientific evidence;

"We are persuaded that such a massive injury would result in very significant pain and distress in the period before insensibility intervenes".

I haven't found any evidence whatsoever that it is painful and I have read page 35-45.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pomegranat0
calm down, it's just the Internet. I've met such nice people on here who don't eat halal meat. Yet they don't have an in your face attitude like you. Once again, calm down. Internet.

You seem quite good at dodging my point, we have a politician in the making :tongue: or maybe I have just been trolled. In which case, touché.
Original post by hibaj
I think your argument is flawed since many animals arent killed in a humane way anyway. If you are that worried about the way the animal was killed wouldnt you just avoid eating meat? or wouldnt you make sure that you only ate free range, non factory farmed meat? In which case youd have to ask about the way the animal was killed every time you were going to eat meat.

Also, if killed properly (halal wise), the animals are meant to feel very little pain and the animal is not meant to be aware of the fact that it's going to be killed (to avoid it becoming frightened)

Another thing which doesnt make sense to me, is that you're bothered about the animal being killed in God's name. I dont understand why you would be bothered if you dont believe in him?

I dont know if I'd be offended but, no, I wouldnt cook non halal meat for you. Even if I wast eating it, I still believe it wouldve been killed the wrong way, so it doesnt change the fact that I believe I shouldnt support the killing of animals in a non halal way. If I was cooking Id probably not be cooking meat anyway, because I prefer not to eat meat. :smile:

Which brings me on to another point. I was pescetarian for a few years because I didnt agree with the way animals were killed. (I eat meat now, mainly for health reasons (but I plan to go back to not eating meat soon.)) Halal or not. The reason being, unless you actually see the animal being killed, or trust the person doing the slaughter, you dont know for certain, that the animal is being killed the way you think it is being killed. So although muslims still buy halal meat, it's on a trust basis but, Im pretty sure that a lot of the meat marked 'halal' isnt actually halal. As it's been found recently, there is pork in 'halal' sausages. I'm sure if you went to halal slaughter houses youd find they were not killing and looking after the animals in the correct, Islamic way.

So, I think if you are bothered about the way animals are killed, it's just best to avoid eating meat. :smile:

Hope this made sense. Excuse any (typo) mistakes. :smile:

I would eat only organic if I could afford it but I can't.

By eating food blessed/sacrificed/offered to Allah, whatever you want to call it, would be against my principles as it would suggest I support the teachings of the Koran. It would be like praying to him or converting. I wouldn't respect myself if I eat halal because I would be essentially partaking in something I don't agree with.
The report is pretty much on "possibilities" with no scientific evidence;

"We are persuaded that such a massive injury would result in very significant pain and distress in the period before insensibility intervenes".

I haven't found any evidence whatsoever that it is painful and I have read page 35-45.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll get back to you. I'm sure it's in there. They done their own case studies I think. I'll find it in a mo. :smile:
Original post by Jacob :)
I would eat only organic if I could afford it but I can't.

By eating food blessed/sacrificed/offered to Allah, whatever you want to call it, would be against my principles as it would suggest I support the teachings of the Koran. It would be like praying to him or converting. I wouldn't respect myself if I eat halal because I would be essentially partaking in something I don't agree with.

"In the name of god, most gracious, Most compassionate"

Do those 9 words stop you from eating meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Original post by Steevee

though that's not a situation likely to ever happen.

Why??
"In the name of god, most gracious, Most compassionate"

Do those 9 words stop you from eating meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I choose not to eat the meat because of those words yes. Words, and what they represent, are some of the most important things there are. Following my principles is how I maintain my self respect.
I deliberately avoid places where halal meat is the only meat cooked. It's a horrible way to kill an animal and I don't see why my right to choose has to be trampled on at the sake of putting Muslim beliefs first. I think shops should be made to display it very clearly with a huge sign so that those of us who don't want to eat it can make that choice, some shops are very sneaky with it. I found out the other day that some Nando's branches only serve halal meat including the one I eat in regularly, no sign up or anything anywhere. Foul.
Reply 217
Muslim here, and not at all.

"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Holy Quran

I won't be able to serve you non halal meat, but i totally would respect your views and wishes. If we had a come dine with me kind of dinner, i would have asked everyone preferences before making the menu or meals, so i can cater for you - maybe with a vegetarian dish.

And no, you aren't being petty. Your life, your wishes. I would do my best, as your host, to accommodate you.
Reply 218
Have you ever eaten a takeaway kebab?
The animal is already dead and the food is already on the table. So why waste the meat if you can no longer do anything about the way the animal was killed?