The Student Room Group

English at Goldsmiths and Queen Mary

Hi,

I've got conditional offers from both Goldsmiths and Queen Mary to start in 2013. I'd like any info that you've got about the unis or courses that may be useful to me. Who else has applied and is planning on going to one of the above?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Queen Mary. It's highly regarded, 2nd in REA survey (above Oxford, Cambridge, UCL), cheap(ish) area of London to live in, especially relevant in second year, you can find places to live close to campus.

If I get an offer, I'm choosing Queen Mary.
I'm in my 1st year at another university in London, but I hope to restart with one of the English BA's at Goldsmiths in September. I applied late and haven't heard anything yet, but I already have my A-levels and they exceed the entry requirements - I got an A* in English Lit, an A* in Photography and a B in History of Art. I'm not restarting because of poor marks in my current degree either, just because I feel I made the wrong decision first time round. Not sure if I should be worried or not?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AyeFaye
Queen Mary. It's highly regarded, 2nd in REA survey (above Oxford, Cambridge, UCL), cheap(ish) area of London to live in, especially relevant in second year, you can find places to live close to campus.

If I get an offer, I'm choosing Queen Mary.

Hi Faye,

I know Mile End well as I don't live too far away, and I know that Queen Mary is ranked higher out of the two but having visited both, I much preferred the feel of Goldsmiths. I like familiarity and the arts in general and Goldsmiths seemed to 'satisfy' those preferences more. Thanks for your advice/opinion though! Queen Mary is a definite contender...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by helloharrysmith
I'm in my 1st year at another university in London, but I hope to restart with one of the English BA's at Goldsmiths in September. I applied late and haven't heard anything yet, but I already have my A-levels and they exceed the entry requirements - I got an A* in English Lit, an A* in Photography and a B in History of Art. I'm not restarting because of poor marks in my current degree either, just because I feel I made the wrong decision first time round. Not sure if I should be worried or not?

Hi Harry, if you don't mind me asking, what uni are you currently at? Also, what's made you want to go to Goldsmiths?

I don't think you should be worried with grades like that! Once they get around to looking at your application, I'm confident that you'll get an offer. It's just that universities have so many applications to get through!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .sophia
Hi Harry, if you don't mind me asking, what uni are you currently at? Also, what's made you want to go to Goldsmiths?

I don't think you should be worried with grades like that! Once they get around to looking at your application, I'm confident that you'll get an offer. It's just that universities have so many applications to get through!

Thanks, I hope you're right.

At the moment I'm at SOAS (School of Oriental & African Studies) doing Study of Religions. But Goldsmiths was actually the first university I visited and my brother's on Popular Music there, so I already have a few acquaintances and know the area pretty well.

As to why I'd liked to study there - In a sentence, I think the artistic environment that Goldsmiths offers set within the lively neighbourhood of New Cross, and combined with the quality facilities/teaching is just an excellent blend for English degrees (and Creative Writing in particular). Plus I really like the look of the syllabus..
Reply 6
Thanks, I hope you're right.

At the moment I'm at SOAS (School of Oriental & African Studies) doing Study of Religions. But Goldsmiths was actually the first university I visited and my brother's on Popular Music there, so I already have a few acquaintances and know the area pretty well.

As to why I'd liked to study there - In a sentence, I think the artistic environment that Goldsmiths offers set within the lively neighbourhood of New Cross, and combined with the quality facilities/teaching is just an excellent blend for English degrees (and Creative Writing in particular). Plus I really like the look of the syllabus..

Oh right, what is it about SOAS that you're not enjoying (I've got a good friend who's applied there to do the course that you're on)? Ah, is your brother enjoying it then?

I like that sentence. To be saying that the teaching and facilities are quality, your brother must be having a good time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .sophia
Oh right, what is it about SOAS that you're not enjoying (I've got a good friend who's applied there to do the course that you're on)? Ah, is your brother enjoying it then?

I like that sentence. To be saying that the teaching and facilities are quality, your brother must be having a good time :smile:

Actually, there's almost nothing about SOAS that I dislike, and I would wholeheartedly recommend my course to anyone who's committed to pursuing the Study of Religions. The staff are unbelievably good and the work is really interesting; I just seriously miss writing (and reading) creatively and feel like I should never have stopped.

I can't really say anything for the English department, but my brother is certainly having the time of his life - and all of his lecturers seem very down-to-earth as well as being extremely talented. And the library is just fantastic too!

You can probably tell I'm eager to get in. :smile:
Reply 8
Actually, there's almost nothing about SOAS that I dislike, and I would wholeheartedly recommend my course to anyone who's committed to pursuing the Study of Religions. The staff are unbelievably good and the work is really interesting; I just seriously miss writing (and reading) creatively and feel like I should never have stopped.

I can't really say anything for the English department, but my brother is certainly having the time of his life - and all of his lecturers seem very down-to-earth as well as being extremely talented. And the library is just fantastic too!

You can probably tell I'm eager to get in. :smile:

Thanks for your info, I'll pass on the good word :smile: I can understand that you miss writing, it's why I've applied for courses that include it!

It sounds brilliant. I was very impressed with the library when I visited, and all the people I met came across as friendly and down to earth as you've described.

Like I said, I think you'll be getting your offer soon. Let me know how you get on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .sophia
Thanks for your info, I'll pass on the good word :smile: I can understand that you miss writing, it's why I've applied for courses that include it!

It sounds brilliant. I was very impressed with the library when I visited, and all the people I met came across as friendly and down to earth as you've described.

Like I said, I think you'll be getting your offer soon. Let me know how you get on!

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you liked Goldsmiths - some people seem to dismiss as 'too cool or arty' when really it's just a good university with normal, nice people.

And thanks for the encouragement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending