The Student Room Group

Anybody else think A levels are too easy?

Scroll to see replies

You are too cool fo' school.
Reply 101
Original post by awilson008
I know this will be controversial, but I'm wondering if there will be other people who feel the same way as me, so hear me out.

Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences.

However I am in my A2 year doing maths, physics, chemistry and biology and have been predicted 4A*s, and it didn't really feel like I had to do much.

I've never really had to push myself in these subjects, partly because I really enjoy them and I have a talent for them, but it feels like a bit of a waste that I wasn't pushed further so I could reach my full potential.

I'm trying not to explicitly say that A levels have been dumbed down but I looked at an old physics textbook from the 80s and there's so much interesting stuff in there we will never learn about because it was dubbed 'too hard' for people at this level.

I do understand there's lots of people struggling out there, but I really want to hear from those people who are at the top and feel like they could take a lot more on.

In my opinion grade inflation could be solved by making A levels that wee bit harder and so we can differentiate between all of those people who are snatching As and increasing competition for places at university.

What do you guys think? (Be nice)

I agree. I'm predicted 4A*s and I have never seen myself as particuarly smart.
Original post by yorkshire.lad
exactly dude lol take it easy, stop boasting about your academic achievements on a forum. sad as hell honestly.

i grew up in one of the poorer areas of the country, went to state school, moved up north, went to a crap high school, will hopefully be leaving college with A*AA and have multiple offers for medicine, i don't go around creating threads about it, you are just plain arrogant.

oh the irony.
oh the irony.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by Jammy4410
Making a judgement on all A levels when you have only done 4 and they are mainly in the science field is even more ridiculous

Don't quite see why he takes science based a-levels is relevant
I like how he didn't apply to a proper top uni. He'll probably finish thinking a medicine degree is too easy. Any wonder.
Original post by Jammy4410
I like how he didn't apply to a proper top uni. He'll probably finish thinking a medicine degree is too easy. Any wonder.

If you knew anything then you'd know there isn't a 'proper top uni' for medicine. if anything places like cambridge produce only academics and ****ty clinical practicioners.

If you knew anything then you'd know there isn't a 'proper top uni' for medicine. if anything places like cambridge produce only academics and ****ty clinical practicioners.

Where is your evidence for that?

Cambridge medical graduates have the second highest pass rate in the PACES clinical skills examination. (Oxford graduates come first.)

There are top unis for medicine, just like any other subject.
I'm predicted A*'s and A's but I have had to work really hard for them because I find A levels really difficult! It's not so much that the content is confusing, more that there is so much stuff to learn and with me not having the best of memories, I really have to drum the material into my head.
Looks like you were very lucky in the intelligence gene pool and I'm sure you'll do well in your future! :smile:
?

Depends what you mean by hard work. A concentrated two weeks of revision before the exam max?

Kay bro, what does your concentrated 2 weeks MAX of revision include. Gimme every last grotesque little piece of detail.
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Kay bro, what does your concentrated 2 weeks MAX of revision include. Gimme every last grotesque little piece of detail.

Nah.
Nah.

Gee thanks for sharing your wonderful revision tips, they not only benefited me but thousands of other who are gonna read this thread. May the good Lord bless your generous and selfless attitude.
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Gee thanks for sharing your wonderful revision tips, they not only benefited me but thousands of other who are gonna read this thread. May the good Lord bless your generous and selfless attitude.

No worries! Good luck with your exams.
Original post by Loiks94
Have a go at opening up your textbooks and reading the text over and over again and sort of just remember it and visualize the page in your head.

With enough practice I am able to cover a spread (2 pages) in about 10 minutes, and with a unit only being up to about 50 pages I can cover it pretty easily.
However after each spread I tend to repeat it from memory and after completing each unit I would repeat every page from memory until the day of my exam (would take about 1 hour for each unit though)

Looking back at myself at September at the start of the year I probably wouldn't have believed myself if I told myself I would be able to remember about 200 pages (4 units) by memory.

This is literally the only thing that works for me, obviously after knowing the unit by memory I test myself with all the past papers etc but nothing more.

Let me know if it works for you as this method does actually run in the family, with my Brother also being able to remember lots and lots of info (he is currently in his 2nd year of medicine at ICL after achieving A*A*AA at A levels)

The key is to have a good lay out and this is why I use the heinemann textbooks/ Cgp revision guides, as it is very important to have a title for the information stored in your head.

I do this as well. I did this for GCSE's with revising just the day before every science exam and got nearly all A*'s bar English language and History. I did it for my AS bio module and got an A. I don't memorise though; I simply read through the book and visualise the diagrams and pages haha, makes exams very easy, although I do English lit, so that is a bit more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by yorkshire.lad
exactly dude lol take it easy, stop boasting about your academic achievements on a forum. sad as hell honestly.

i grew up in one of the poorer areas of the country, went to state school, moved up north, went to a crap high school, will hopefully be leaving college with A*AA and have multiple offers for medicine, i don't go around creating threads about it, you are just plain arrogant.

You can talk about boasting about grades
I know this will be controversial, but I'm wondering if there will be other people who feel the same way as me, so hear me out.

Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences.

However I am in my A2 year doing maths, physics, chemistry and biology and have been predicted 4A*s, and it didn't really feel like I had to do much.

I've never really had to push myself in these subjects, partly because I really enjoy them and I have a talent for them, but it feels like a bit of a waste that I wasn't pushed further so I could reach my full potential.

I'm trying not to explicitly say that A levels have been dumbed down but I looked at an old physics textbook from the 80s and there's so much interesting stuff in there we will never learn about because it was dubbed 'too hard' for people at this level.

I do understand there's lots of people struggling out there, but I really want to hear from those people who are at the top and feel like they could take a lot more on.

In my opinion grade inflation could be solved by making A levels that wee bit harder and so we can differentiate between all of those people who are snatching As and increasing competition for places at university.

What do you guys think? (Be nice)

I'm doing exactly what you are doing but with Further Maths also.
I agree with you partly but Biology sure is a mammoth of a subject, and how I see it the difficulty of all the other subjects (Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry) combined does not surpass that of Biology.
Well, probably, yes. But, on the other hand, I had quite a chilled A level year, which was nice.
Reply 118
Original post by Loiks94
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and having received my January unit 1 results which were AAAA has made me think this too. Honestly I was probably one of five people in the sixth form that got straights A's/B's the rest were absolutely distraught with their results. I guess it's only easy because I have a very very effective revision technique (that requires very little time and effort in the long run) which will only apply to a handful of people - Luckily I had discovered my talent at GCSE's and had tested out the technique and it didn't let me down and allowed me to get the best grades in the school.

However there is always that little bit more you can do but for me and I guess you may feel it to, I just don't think I need too. I know myself very well and that is probably a important factor in achieving high grades; knowing what you have to do and luckily the answer is isn't much.

Making A-levels harder isn't the answer as this would discourage people the complete opposite from us from taking them as they already have to work moderately harder for the current ones.

Care to share this amazing techinique? :smile:
Original post by Kimina
You can talk about boasting about grades

A*AA is **** compared to what the OP posted

Quick Reply

Latest