The Student Room Group

What would you do if Iran, North Korea and Syria entered into a nuclear pact?

So then what would you do if America's greatest enemies clubbed together their egotistical hatred to nuke the **** out of America?

And is this even remotely possible. If you want to go really apocalyptic we can add China into the equation.
Reply 1
For all intents and purposes that is already the case. North Korea and Iran are well known exporters of nuclear and missile technology. Anyway are you talking about them actually nuking America? Because even then America has the capacity to turn all of them to glass quite easily.
Even so, by the time they would have fired their nukes, the United States would retaliate in full and shocking force - it would be like an ant against a fist.

What's more is that Syria is quite unstable at the moment; Iran does not yet have nuclear capabilities; and North Korea cannot yet load nuclear material into missiles. It is also not in China's interests to fire nuclear weapons and/or go to war against the United States. China actually cares for its future, otherwise it would not have advanced as far as it has now and it would not have planned decades into the future.
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
For all intents and purposes that is already the case. North Korea and Iran are well known exporters of nuclear and missile technology. Anyway are you talking about them actually nuking America? Because even then America has the capacity to turn all of them to glass quite easily.

I'm talking about the demonstrating they have the capability to nuke, and showing intent to nuke, America. At the moment they are anti-American and I'm pretty sure Kim Jong Un would, but their nuclear ability hasn't caught pace with their ambitions just yet. Basically if they said they would or were clearly preparing to, what would happen.
Reply 4
Original post by The Mad Dog
I'm talking about the demonstrating they have the capability to nuke, and showing intent to nuke, America. At the moment they are anti-American and I'm pretty sure Kim Jong Un would, but their nuclear ability hasn't caught pace with their ambitions just yet. Basically if they said they would or were clearly preparing to, what would happen.

No nation would be stupid enough to do this though. The minute they showed intent and America had reliable intel to prove they were going to go ahead with it you would see those countries disappear off the map. No one is going to say anything about it nor criticise them for it. It would take one hell of an insane nation to launch a nuclear strike on America. North Korea is primarily concerned with its own survival, hence why they are building a nuclear program, all that bluster about attacking the states is for internal consumption.
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
No nation would be stupid enough to do this though. The minute they showed intent and America had reliable intel to prove they were going to go ahead with it you would see those countries disappear off the map. No one is going to say anything about it nor criticise them for it. It would take one hell of an insane nation to launch a nuclear strike on America. North Korea is primarily concerned with its own survival, hence why they are building a nuclear program, all that bluster about attacking the states is for internal consumption.

But how far do they take this internal consumption. Their threatening "merciless retaliation against the USA's puppets in Seoul". Does that not scream another Korean War, which given the links between America and South Korea would sere some American involvement at some stage. Is America going to risk killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions of South Koreans to wipe North Korea off the map?
Reply 6
But how far do they take this internal consumption. Their threatening "merciless retaliation against the USA's puppets in Seoul". Does that not scream another Korean War, which given the links between America and South Korea would sere some American involvement at some stage. Is America going to risk killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions of South Koreans to wipe North Korea off the map?

They have been threatening that for years. It's all part of their survival strategy.
It's not something I'd like to consider, but it's quite obvious that if any of those countries even came close to threatening that, they would, one by one, disappear. Even China, who despite rapid expansion economically in the past few decades, has a long way to go before it matches the capabilities of the United States. However, as was correctly said earlier in the thread, no country would be so stupid as to do something like this.

Some little hippy in one of my lectures is very anti-american yet he poses about the same realistic threat to America as any of those countries you have listed. What do you suggest we should do to him?

Why would Kim Jong Un nuke them? No matter how much you might be saying from the safety of your laptop, would you throw the first punch at a man 4 times your size knowing that it would be the only punch you throw as you would be completely battered? Do you really think that this small insignificant country would do such a thing knowing it would get bombed to kingdom-come? Even if Kim Jong-Un was some imbalanced spoilt crazy guy, do you really think that the generals who really run NK would let him?

As much as you might like to think of these countries as belonging to Team Evil I don't think your scenario will ever play out unless you took acid whilst watching the new Red Dawn film.
Reply 9
The Syrian nuclear plant allegedly hit by Israel in 2007 had North Korean nuclear scientists at the site that apparently died in the raid.

Iranians also reportedly attended the recent North Korean nuclear test.

Bush wasn't far off with his axis of evil speech.
So then what would you do if America's greatest enemies clubbed together their egotistical hatred to nuke the **** out of America?

And is this even remotely possible. If you want to go really apocalyptic we can add China into the equation.

This is comic book fantasy. Only one of those countries (NK) allegedly has nukes, and of course it would not dare threaten the US with them.

What people don't realise is that countries like Iraq, Iran and Syria are small fry. They are weak and rather pathetic. This is why the US feels at liberty to push them around, even invade them.

A real threat - like China or Russia, does not become part of some juvenile "axis of evil".

If Saddam was anything like as dangerous as they pretended he was, he would not have been attacked.
I think this is unlikely to happen, but if it did, what could I do?

I don't know much about NK history, but I do know that the Mullah regime's ideology and support for terrorism at the expense of the Iranian people is simply the blowback and unintended consequences of US and Western interference in Iranian politics for over a century.

If those neo-colonialist ********s hadn't overthrown Iran's liberal, secular and anti-fundamentalist leaders in the 1950s in exchange for a cheap oil fix none of this would be happening.

You don't even need to go back to the 1950s - if the necessary support and solidarity had been given to Iranians in 2009 when they were on the brink of overthrowing the Islamic Republic, Iran might currently be a fledgling democracy...but instead Obama and the other Western powers chose to remain silent and allowed the Mullahs to fortify their dictatorship.
Is America going to risk killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions of South Koreans to wipe North Korea off the map?

Wait wait wait. So it's just the potential South Korean deaths that matter? The millions of innocent North Koreans that would be killed 'wiping North Korea off the map' aren't important?
Reply 13
Original post by anarchism101
Wait wait wait. So it's just the potential South Korean deaths that matter? The millions of innocent North Koreans that would be killed 'wiping North Korea off the map' aren't important?

No, I didn't say that and certainly not from my perspective. However according to a president attempting to save his country from nuclear attack he's probably more concerned about the innocent deaths in his ally than the innocent deaths in his enemy even if this is wrong.
The yanks would probably miss NK and nuke SK, friendly fire y'know.

Oh I forgot what I would do, I think we have to lie down, preferably under a table, with the curtains closed, oh yeah, DON'T PANIC!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
wouldn't this require syria to not be in the current state it is in?

i don't see communist state uniting with religious state either
I'd laugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending