The Student Room Group

Mars One looking for people to travel, live out their life and die on Mars.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
Goddamn I was just about to say I'd only go if there were some hookers with three tits.

You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here, Hauser.
Original post by tooosh
Still applies though lol. Apathy will absolutely kill your chances at getting into this let alone surviving it mentally.

Yeah that's true. I can't see why someone with a wonderful life on earth would want to sign themselves up for something like this though. It's essentially the most adventurous suicide mission out there.
Reply 22
Original post by llessur123
Yeah that's true. I can't see why someone with a wonderful life on earth would want to sign themselves up for something like this though. It's essentially the most adventurous suicide mission out there.

I just wonder how many people who have put their names down have genuinely thought about this. And on a related note, how many of them are qualified and would genuinely be able to handle it.

Also wired.com gave this 2/10 for feasibility :tongue:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/12/audacious-space-companies-2012/?pid=5750&viewall=true
Original post by Snagprophet
You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here, Hauser.

Look who's talking.
I'd be a bit worried that with no proper military or government, if the people actually manage to land on Mars and build a settlement there, there'd be tribal-like anarchy. People will want to dictate over others, and I can't see any other country or the UN being able to solve it. There'd have to be a proper government, cabinet, legislation, etc. and probably some sort of weaponry which would work in space for something like this to ever work.

As someone said on the CBC report:

Week 1 - Awesome I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.
Week 2-2000 - Crap I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.
Even if you hated your life why would you do this? I'm guessing you'd have to wear a suit every day of your life to survive outside, only being able to take it off inside the craft you landed in, how would you be able to set up a colony on Mars when it's basically inhospitable? You would never be able to talk to anyone other than your crew face to face for the rest of your life, even if your a loner think of the random shopkeepers, postmen etc you see everyday, all of that gone. It would take hundreds of years to set up liveable conditions, sounds like a life worse than death to me.
Reply 26
I'd love to live alone on Mars because this world is overrated; people claim to be your 'friends' but either disconnect with you or stab you in the back. I'd only live on Mars if I could go alone. Would be amazing for astronomy purposes though, the views. You could spend a lifetime walking across Mars so wouldn't say you would be bored.

Make sandcastles, draw in the sand, climb Olympus mons,walk through the canyon that's as wide as America.

Maybe take a telephone or computer but limit the amount of people you speak to not get lonely but i'd love to be alone on Mars. Urgh, sometimes I was better off dead but i'm living for other people who 'care' about me (well, I want to get somewhere in martial arts and gym and i've spent thousands of my parents' money on University so dying is selfish and too early [want to exhaust all options and try get good at martial arts first although you could exercise on your own in Mars so there's a plus point of being alone])
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Bonoahx
I'd be a bit worried that with no proper military or government, if the people actually manage to land on Mars and build a settlement there, there'd be tribal-like anarchy. People will want to dictate over others, and I can't see any other country or the UN being able to solve it. There'd have to be a proper government, cabinet, legislation, etc. and probably some sort of weaponry which would work in space for something like this to ever work.

As someone said on the CBC report:

Week 1 - Awesome I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.
Week 2-2000 - Crap I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.

They claim you get 50m^2 living space each and it's a fairly normal life with earth like anemities, except food. The food will suck so bad.

I agree on government though, it's something we'll need to sort out here before any manned settling mission to any planet.
this would be fun for 5 minutes, then you'd be like... alright... this was a stupid thing to do.
I would never sign up, you see the same people everyday for the rest of your life and you'll have nothing to talk about after a day or two and then you'll be bored for the rest of your life I can't stand being bored for a minute, I'd kill everyone after a few days
If I could go with my other half, I would, because I'd love to be involved in such a pivotal moment in the development of humanity. To be part of the team that sees the human race expand beyond Earth, and to be one of the privileged few to live out the rest of my days on Mars... I'd love it, and I'm not a depressed loner!
Doctor Who springs to mind here, I'm not going anywhere where you can't drink the water. Plus I'd get bored with such a small group of people for the rest of my life. Not to mention dehydrated food forever, ew.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tooosh
They claim you get 50m^2 living space each and it's a fairly normal life with earth like anemities, except food. The food will suck so bad.

I agree on government though, it's something we'll need to sort out here before any manned settling mission to any planet.

Yeah, well I suppose you'd get used to the food, but still, there'd be huge instability. It's human nature.

This may seem sad, but it sort of reminds me of Vault 101 in Fallout 3. Seeing the same people every day, you'd obviously have some sort of leader, it could be used as a sort of social experiment if you think about it. It's actually rather terrifying.

You're born on Mars, you live in Mars, you die in Mars. That's the way it's always been, son. Now go on, you've got a G.O.A.T to take... or something.
Original post by geetar
Strong Catch 22 situation: the only people who would want to do this are depressed loners with nothing to live for, but being a depressed loner with nothing to live for would mean that you are ineligible for such a demanding mission.

Actually I think you'll find that describes quite a lot of rich people :smile:
Why wouldn't he just wait for the technology to bring them back??
Can't imagine anyone wanting to commit to something like this.
Reply 36
Can we just send all the Daily Mail readers?
Reply 37
Women with 3 boobs? Count me in.
It was the "die on Mars" bit I found a little off putting. :zomg:
Original post by madders94
If I could go with my other half, I would, because I'd love to be involved in such a pivotal moment in the development of humanity. To be part of the team that sees the human race expand beyond Earth, and to be one of the privileged few to live out the rest of my days on Mars... I'd love it, and I'm not a depressed loner!

If you went with your other half who would be flying and who would be navigating? There would be a lot of
"Why don't I take the map"
"I know where I'm going"
"I told you we should have stopped and asked for directions."

Next thing you know you're orbiting Uranus.
So no, never go with your other half.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending