The Student Room Group

Labour supporting Duncan Smith in defending slave work at Poundland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by noneofthemknew
But in the case of Cait Reilly, she was already doing work experience at a local museum out of her own initiative, which makes the Jobcentre's decision to effectively force her to give up this placement for one in a completely unrelated industry so hair-tearingly stupid.

In her particular case it was right but a lot of other people do not deserve a penny of extra money from the government
Reply 101
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It would be good to get it tested in Europe, many do not agree with the court.

Sorry I think not, I pay taxes to London not Brussels!

UK courts should be supreme to European ones- times for parliament to use its sovereignty to put the EU in its place
I agree completely that jobseekers shouldn't be forced to do the same job without pay that anyone else would do with pay. However, I wonder whether Poundland (and others) will just instead create a load of new positions for 'voluntary' work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
I agree completely that jobseekers should be forced to do the same job without pay that anyone else would do with pay. However, I wonder whether Poundland (and others) will just instead create a load of new positions for 'voluntary' work.

The work could be done in the community in sectors that private firms have little incentive to do business in.
I agree completely that jobseekers should be forced to do the same job without pay that anyone else would do with pay. However, I wonder whether Poundland (and others) will just instead create a load of new positions for 'voluntary' work.

Why do you think that? What is the point of employers having to pay anyone? According to that principle, aren't you in favour of everyone being sacked and then forced to work for nothing?
Original post by a729
In her particular case it was right but a lot of other people do not deserve a penny of extra money from the government

Actually, the vast majority of those who find themselves on Jobseekers will have worked before and thus paid NI contributions so they are effectively claiming back there own money.

Out of those who have never contribued anything to the system, the overwhelming majority are young people and students who have yet to get a foot in the door. (Source) Families of "Scroungers" who have never worked are a tiny minority.
Why do you think that? What is the point of employers having to pay anyone? According to that principle, aren't you in favour of everyone being sacked and then forced to work for nothing?

Sorry, that was meant to read "shouldn't be forced."

Essentially, I agree with you.

Original post by venenecinema
The work could be done in the community in sectors that private firms have little incentive to do business in.

See above. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Actually, the vast majority of those who find themselves on Jobseekers will have worked before and thus paid NI contributions so they are effectively claiming back there own money.

Out of those who have never contribued anything to the system, the overwhelming majority are young people and students who have yet to get a foot in the door. (Source) Families of "Scroungers" who have never worked are a tiny minority.

They aren't as small a minority you might think- Jeremy Kyle seems to have no problem finding people to go on his show!

Still there's nothing wrong with making people get work experience to enhance their CV- something is better than nothing

We need to end the something for nothing culture
Reply 108

i think community service would be a better way of getting people to give back to the community
I think a lot of people here are missing a couple of points.

1) You do max. 16 hours a week, and only for 1 month, yearly (or maybe 6 monthly).
2) This means that taking into account annual earnings (from sitting on JSA) she is earning more than minimum wage.
3) Employers will not give you an interview if you have been on JSA for 6+ months with no experience

Therefore, she should have to work, I have friends that had to work a tiny bit for their JSA, and one had no success for a year in getting a job. 3 weeks after finishing a month long placement at a tesco bakery, she gets a job in a GAME store.

No-one should get free money, otherwise no-one would ever work.
Sorry, that was meant to read "shouldn't be forced."

Essentially, I agree with you.

Aha. Good! :hugs:
Original post by scrotgrot
I was just about to start a thread on this. I don't think I'm unjustified in saying this is the moment where the government crossed the line into dictatorship. Passing retrospective legislation when found to be doing something illegal is the sort of thing I'd expect from Gadaffi or someone like that.

The judiciary has been the only thing keeping the government back in the past couple of years. The government know this and that's why they're cutting legal aid this year so none of the disabled or jobless have anything they can do but die in their own filth.

This is the beginnings of the sort of crisis that leads to revolution.

I am utterly astounded that Labour are supporting this, talk about out of touch. I had hoped the worm was beginning to turn. Good point about Europe. I hope it does go all the way to the ECHR and our country is shamed in front of billions on the world stage for its spiteful abuses of our human rights.

Agreed, Workfare as is, is a vulgar insult. Morally and practically indefensible. An insult towards all anti-slavery legislation and efforts and does the exact opposite of job creation.
Original post by a729
They aren't as small a minority you might think- Jeremy Kyle seems to have no problem finding people to go on his show!

Official statistics (which I have provided) > sensationalised train-wreck TV devised to generate as many ratings as possible.

Original post by a729
Still there's nothing wrong with making people get work experience to enhance their CV- something is better than nothing

Where is the incentive for companies to hire paid workers though if they can get people to work for free?

Experience should be relevent to educational training, forcing graduates who want to go into skilled fields to stack shelves benefits neither them nor taxpayer. What it does benefit though is the government's public image along with multinational corporations such as Poundland who no longer have to hire unskilled workers on a paid wage (who really would need such experience) further perpetuating the cycle of unemployment. Through the workfare scheme the taxpayer is essentially paying to provide private companies with free labour, how can people not see that?

Original post by a729
We need to end the something for nothing culture

Agreed and we can start by no longer giving away free labour to profit-making companies
Is this actually hating on companies that make a profit? If a company doesn't make a profit, it fails.
Plus, company making profit = good for economy. Someone getting paid to sit at home all week = bad for economy.
Reply 114
Official statistics (which I have provided) > sensationalised train-wreck TV devised to generate as many ratings as possible.

Where is the incentive for companies to hire paid workers though if they can get people to work for free?

Experience should be relevent to educational training, forcing graduates who want to go into skilled fields to stack shelves benefits neither them nor taxpayer. What it does benefit though is the government's public image along with multinational corporations such as Poundland who no longer have to hire unskilled workers on a paid wage (who really would need such experience) further perpetuating the cycle of unemployment. Through the workfare scheme the taxpayer is essentially paying to provide private companies with free labour, how can people not see that?

Though must jobs for the unemployed will be in tertiary/customer-service roles so experience is essential

Agreed and we can start by no longer giving away free labour to profit-making companies

I know community service -especially charity shop work is best
Reply 115
Original post by Kibalchich
So why are you going on about it to me?

You replied with "it has a whiff of forced labour" as if to say "to be fair it is like slavery in some small respect".
Reply 116
Original post by a729
Work experience of any sort is better than been on the dole/JSA when it comes to your CV full stop.

Poundland work experience is only be beneficial if you only plan on working in the likes of Poundland the rest of your life, with maybe a high aim of working in Aldi. Otherwise, Poundland work experience is about as useless as a weeks work experience in a primary school in year 11.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Futility
slave labor
noun
persons, especially a large group, performing labor under duress or threats.

The mandatory work programme coerces people on benefits to work without pay or face the threat of losing their benefits; this fits the definition above precisely.

You might lose benefits if you agree to a work placement and then drop out of it before it's scheduled end. You don't lose benefits for simply turning down an offer of a work placement. This has been cleared up, for some suspicious reason plenty of people seem to forget this clarification.
Original post by pandabird
Poundland work experience is only be beneficial if you only plan on working in the likes of Poundland the rest of your life, with maybe a high aim of working in Aldi. Otherwise, Poundland work experience is about as useless as a weeks work experience in a primary school work in year 11.

If you are on JSA for over a year, what other aspirations would you have?
Reply 119
Original post by pandabird
Poundland work experience is only be beneficial if you only plan on working in the likes of Poundland the rest of your life, with maybe a high aim of working in Aldi. Otherwise, Poundland work experience is about as useless as a weeks work experience in a primary school in year 11.

Not really - an employer would rank the poundland experience over knowing Jeremy kyle's show characters by name!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending