The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's quite obvious why someone would want to be a nurse. They want to becone a nurse because they're passionate about saving lifes and being a nurse makes a real difference betweeen people dying, or staying alive.

I have full respect for nurses and the lifes they safe. Love the outfit too :wink:.
Reply 2
I'm assuming not everyone would want to be an engineer designing toilets that won't splash at your face.
Because they enjoy being in a caring profession and find it rewarding?
Reply 4
Original post by kka25
I'm assuming not everyone would want to be an engineer designing toilets that won't splash at your face.

The person who makes a non-splash toilet will be a hero.

On another note, a lot of girls in my year do it as an easy subject to follow on from their soft subject A-Levels. Don't get me wrong, this isn't all nursing students, but it seems to be a theme at mine and nearby colleges.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CXDK

On another note, a lot of girls in my year do it as an easy subject to follow on from their soft subject A-Levels. Don't get me wrong, this inst all nursing students, but it seems to be a theme at mine and nearby colleges.

I know right? But I don't think nursing majors would care for that since their focus would be to care for people and other tasks that are related to it.

I've a mate who took nursing because they were told that they could switch to medicine easier if they were in the nursing programme; not sure what happened to them.
Reply 6
Because they can't be doctors
Reply 7
My mum loves her job and I doubt she'd change it for any other on Earth.
Reply 8
Original post by yaboy
I just cant understand the lure of 'Nursing' please enlighten me and help me change my view of thinking its a waste of an individuals life to take it.

So you think it's a waste of time to be a nurse? People take nursing as a degree because they usually want to become a nurse.

I'd be surprised if you've never needed medical care from a nurse before.
Original post by CXDK

On another note, a lot of girls in my year do it as an easy subject to follow on from their soft subject A-Levels. Don't get me wrong, this inst all nursing students, but it seems to be a theme at mine and nearby colleges.

And then they realise how hard it actually is
Reply 10
Original post by yaboy
I just cant understand the lure of 'Nursing' please enlighten me and help me change my view of thinking its a waste of an individuals life to take it.

There are so many different reasons for going into nursing! You could have spent aling time in hosptial as a child and been inspired by the nurses who looked after you, you may have witnessed a loved ine being treated by a nurse and realised thats what you want to do, you may be one of lifes naturally caring people and want to direct that care through nursing, you may have an interest on the effect disease and illness can cause in the body, you may have a reletive who nurses and heard them talk about what they do and want to do it yourself, you may just want to make a difference or make life a little easier for aick people.... I Could go on and on and in and ON.
Unfortunatley the true role (what a nurse actually does!) is widely unknown or misunderstood (they dont just wipe bums and make beds lol) as is the pressure that nurses work under AND you only ever seem to see the bad nurses in the media.... The good ines are (by some people) tarred with the same brush and recieve alot of negativity... I wonder if this is why you are puzzled as to why nurses and student nurses choose to do what they do....

Kim- child nursing student

:smile:
Reply 11
Where would we be if no one wanted to be a nurse...?
Reply 12
Original post by CXDK

They're probably the ones who will be contributing to the huge drop out rate we get from nursing students when they discover its not an easy course to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by The Bigman

I would LOVE to see some doctors attempt some of the things nurses have to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by moonkatt
They're probably the ones who will be contributing to the huge drop out rate we get from nursing students when they discover its not an easy course to do.

^ This 100%
It's better than being a 'Jeremy Kyle' worthy, non-contributing sponge ****
Reply 16
Original post by JLarcombe
I would LOVE to see some doctors attempt some of the things nurses have to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair you can flip this, Doctors could say they'd love to see a nurse attempt some of the things they do.

This shouldn't be about which profession is 'better', they're different and require different skills, otherwise we'd have merged them long ago. Docs couldn't do parts of a nurse's job and vice versa, they have different training for different roles. Thankfully we have people who are capable and willing to do both when they could probably earn more money or have a better quality of life in another job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by roh
To be fair you can flip this, Doctors could say they'd love to see a nurse attempt open heart surgery or similar.

Surgery is a speciality, some doctors can't do it.
Who cares why they want to do it? The point is they do and we would be lost without them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Bigman

I'm sure there's plenty of people that want to be nurses but have had no intention of being a doctor. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending