The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Any Statistics and Finance offer holders 2013 ?

As the title implies, come out of the woodwork ye bastards, we're an endangered species

Im like the only person I know in a 20 mile radius and all the open days I went to that has even applied for this course, never mind getting an offer, anybody else in this fortunate position ?

Scroll to see replies

Hi I received an offer earlier this week...

Will be going to the open day in April, how about yourself?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Backwardation
Hi I received an offer earlier this week...

Will be going to the open day in April, how about yourself?

Not going to the open day as already been, guessing from the username you're aiming for s&t out of undergrad, maybe commodities ?
Original post by DirtyCash
Not going to the open day as already been, guessing from the username you're aiming for s&t out of undergrad, maybe commodities ?

Ah okay, what were your thoughts after the open day?

haha well was a close call between the one I chose and convexity but tbh commodities & fixed income both appeal...

How about yourself... s&t?
Reply 4
As the title implies, come out of the woodwork ye bastards, we're an endangered species

Im like the only person I know in a 20 mile radius and all the open days I went to that has even applied for this course, never mind getting an offer, anybody else in this fortunate position ?

Helloooo, another offer holder here. Are you both firming LSE?
Reply 5
Ah okay, what were your thoughts after the open day?

haha well was a close call between the one I chose and convexity but tbh commodities & fixed income both appeal...

How about yourself... s&t?

Being a white european male that lives in the UK, I felt a bit like the minority :tongue:, but idk if the applicant cohort is reflective of the actual undergrad cohort. Really awesome atmosphere though, really like what they say about it being a finishing school for bankers (they had free FTs in the entrance hall), although I can imagine it getting monotonous for part of me but also awesome being surrounded by other people that live and breath finance 24/7.

Yeah FICC is looking pretty resistant to automation in the short term and the margins are still good, although its getting real ugly out there with the regulation coming in. And yeah Im totally S&T focused too, reckon StatFin is the most tailored course in LSE for the current needs of the industry (if only it had some comp sci thrown in aswell).
Original post by JWz
Helloooo, another offer holder here. Are you both firming LSE?

Yeah I'll be firming LSE. How about yourself?
Reply 7
Yeah I'll be firming LSE. How about yourself?

Yeah, I will be. Are you going to the open day next month?
Original post by JWz
Yeah, I will be. Are you going to the open day next month?

Yeah I'll be going too, see you there.
Reply 9
Yeah I'll be going too, see you there.

Yeah, see you there. I expect there won't be many of us.
Reply 10
Original post by JWz

Could either of you you give me a heads up when you get back what kinda people the rest of the course will be like as I wont be able to make it, and maybe if by any miracle there are any girls on our course :colondollar:
Reply 11
Could either of you you give me a heads up when you get back what kinda people the rest of the course will be like as I wont be able to make it, and maybe if by any miracle there are any girls on our course :colondollar:

hahahahaha, sure. I get first picks though yeah :u:
Original post by JWz

Yeah I saw that there were only 12 first years in 2011 so most likely just a handful of us.

Yeah I'll send you a PM and catch you up on the details...girls on our course?! haha now that would be a miracle!
Reply 14
Yeah I saw that there were only 12 first years in 2011 so most likely just a handful of us.

There were 14 in 2012, so around the same. Seen one other guy on TSR going to the open day too. I suppose we will probably be mixed in with the Business Maths and Actuarial Science lot as well.
Original post by JWz
There were 14 in 2012, so around the same. Seen one other guy on TSR going to the open day too. I suppose we will probably be mixed in with the Business Maths and Actuarial Science lot as well.

Yeah I'd imagine they heap everyone together, it'll be intersting to hear what they have to say.

Read alot of rubbish about the social life not being great but tbh it'll be whatever you choose to make of it.
Reply 16
Yeah I'd imagine they heap everyone together, it'll be intersting to hear what they have to say.

Read alot of rubbish about the social life not being great but tbh it'll be whatever you choose to make of it.

I've read contrasting views. The people who say it isn't good don't really get involved I think. I've heard that the Athletics Union is pretty good at organizing social events if you're interested in it.
Reply 17
Do you mean stats with finance? That's what I intended to apply at first...
Reply 18
Original post by joshgoldman
I'm white, British, male, and firmed an offer last year for a deferred place starting this coming year (as well as being keen on going into FX!). As you mention later on - for the visit day you will be mixed with the BMS and actuarial lot, but there wasn't more than 30/40 people there for stats department when I went. See you in September! What accommodation are you going to apply

My choices were
Roseberry
High Holborn
Bankside

Good luck with FX, seems like global macro space is gonna be interesting in the next few years with the "currency wars" and all that hype
Reply 19
Original post by joshgoldman
Yep. Will still be a massive market though whatever happens. Whereabouts in the UK are you from?

The brutal Gulag of Manchester, yourself ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending