The Student Room Group

Antibody class switching!

Under what conditions could class switching in Immunoglobulins be catastrophic to the body?
Reply 1
Original post by ciznet
Under what conditions could class switching in Immunoglobulins be catastrophic to the body?

:dontknow:

In a pathological way? I guess an example would be for Ig switching from IgE when the host has a helminthic infection.

I'm not sure tbh as the question is quite vague...
Reply 2
Original post by ash92:)
:dontknow:

In a pathological way? I guess an example would be for Ig switching from IgE when the host has a helminthic infection.

I'm not sure tbh as the question is quite vague...

Yeah something like this. Please i need several instances..

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by ciznet
Yeah something like this. Please i need several instances..

Thanks

Ok, think about it. In which cases is a certain antibody class needed? Can any other antibody effectively replace it in the same role? If not, you have another example :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by ash92:)
Ok, think about it. In which cases is a certain antibody class needed? Can any other antibody effectively replace it in the same role? If not, you have another example :wink:

I am the most grateful for this valuable contribution! Pls could there be a possibility of autoimmune complications also?

Big thanks
Reply 5
Original post by ciznet
I am the most grateful for this valuable contribution! Pls could there be a possibility of autoimmune complications also?

Big thanks

No prob :h:

Hmm...possibly. It's a tough one, but for example in pregnancy, if there was a large immune response in the mother, and the antibody class switched to something like igG from igM, it could cross the placenta and possibly harm the baby.

The question is pretty non-specific, so if guess this still counts.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending