The Student Room Group

Integration !!!

Where am I going wrong? thank you
Reply 1
Original post by otrivine
Where am I going wrong? thank you

When you substituted u, you forgot to write your integral in terms of u. What you've actually said is

4sin2tcost dt=4sintcost dt\displaystyle -4\int \sin^2 t \cos t \ dt = 4\int \sin t \cos t \ dt,

which is clearly not correct.

Try a substitution of u=sint\displaystyle u=\sin t instead of u=cost\displaystyle u=\cos t and post your working if you're still stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
When you substituted u, you forgot to write your integral in terms of u. What you've actually said is

4sin2tcost dt=4sintcost dt\displaystyle -4\int \sin^2 t \cos t \ dt = 4\int \sin t \cos t \ dt,

which is clearly not correct.

Try a substitution of u=sint\displaystyle u=\sin t instead of u=cost\displaystyle u=\cos t and post your working if you're still stuck.

but its correct cause you use the identity of sin2x=2sinxcosx to get it into that form
Reply 3
Original post by otrivine
but its correct cause you use the identity of sin2x=2sinxcosx to get it into that form

You're not understanding what I'm getting at.

Notice that from the line 4sin2tcost dt\displaystyle-4\int \sin^2 t \cos t \ dt

to the line

412sin2t dt\displaystyle 4\int\frac{1}{2}\sin 2t \ dt

you have used a substitution u=costu=\cos t but your integral is still in terms of t.

Think about how you normally use a substitution. You normally end up with an integral in terms of u if you use a u substitution right?

This is how your working should read with a substitution u=costu=\cos t:

4sin2tcost dt=4sin2tcost dtdu du=4sintcost du=...\displaystyle -4\int \sin^2 t \cos t \ dt = -4\int \sin^2 t \cos t \ \frac{dt}{du} \ du = 4\int \sin t\cos t \ du = ...

Notice that there is a du on the RHS which is different to your working. I recommend you don't continue the working from here and use a u=sintu=\sin t sub instead.

Quick Reply

Latest