The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Changing courses at Imperial

Is it possible at all to change from a mathematics degree to computing in the first year?

Scroll to see replies

No idea. Ask your tutors, or if you're still in the admissions process, ring them up and ask! :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I asked Imperial the same question few weeks back, they told me it is possible, but unlikely for us to change our course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by benjaminkhoo
I asked Imperial the same question few weeks back, they told me it is possible, but unlikely for us to change our course.

Good choice of words. Possible but unlikely:rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by Sinfire
Is it possible at all to change from a mathematics degree to computing in the first year?

Very possibly in the first few weeks, but you will have to do a lot of catching up. Easier to transfer between JMC degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It's ok guys, got rejected. Doesn't matter any more. Warwick it is then
Reply 6
My offer's A*AA for chemistry... but i'm thinking of switching to Biochem...

If I email admissions and ask about the possibility, there are two things I'm concerned about:

i) Will my offer be the same, or could it go down to AAA/go up?

ii) If it isn't possible, and on results day, I don't get A*AA but AAA, because I've shown I'm not as interested in the course, could it affect my chances of still getting in?
Reply 7
No one can really answer those question apart from the admissions department.

I'd hardly say shifting from chem to biochem is evidence of lack of interest in the course. They share about half the modules.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinfire

Yes, but you will be required to write a new personal statement, provide a further reference and sit STEP if you haven't already.

(I went through the procedure)
Reply 9
Dear Imperial Offer Holders 2013.

Is there any chemistry offer holder looking to transfer to physics?
I am a physics offer holder looking to transfer to chemistry but the department are full but we could do an exchange.

Please contact me asap.

Thanks
Reply 10
Is anyone looking to change course at Imperial this year (2014) ?
Original post by JASONDILL
as an offer holder for JMC, am I able to switch to single computing before the course?

Or, if i exceeded the standard offer for single Computing, but did not meet my JMC offer, would they allow me to enter for single Computing?

Thank you

Switching to Computing before the course starts is definitely possible, not too sure if they'd still let you in with Computing grades though (unless you changed to computing and got a lower offer beforehand)
Reply 12
Original post by sum182
Is anyone looking to change course at Imperial this year (2014) ?

If you want to change courses, I think it's better to do it BEFORE the start of term. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by JASONDILL
anyone have experience with changing course to before results day and having their offer requirements altered?

Yes, but I think mine might be a little bit different. :smile:
I originally applied at Imperial for medicine but after being rejected by Oxford because of my rather average BMAT scores, I decided to change the course with Biomedical Sciences at Imperial last December (I hadn't received any decision for medicine yet and it was before the January deadline!). I emailed the admission office explaining my reasons and they said it was okay. I then received an offer in late February. :biggrin:

If you change your course now, it won't have any impact on your current offer. By this I mean that if you aren't suitable for the new course you are requesting, you will still remain with your old offer.

Hope it helps. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
So, I'm interested in changing courses from Bioengineering to the Mechanical engineering course. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Reply 15
Original post by Jackiechun99
So, I'm interested in changing courses from Bioengineering to the Mechanical engineering course. Does anyone know if this is possible?

The only way to know is to email Imperial. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Jackiechun99

Out of interest, what was the outcome?
Reply 17
Imperial are actually surprisingly lenient with this sort of thing. I applied for JMC, after the interview they thought it wouldn't be suitable for me and gave me an offer for Computing.. I then rang them up and managed to get an offer for Maths instead. As of switching after you get here, if it's done really early in term I don't think there's much of a problem.
Reply 18
Original post by omar333
Imperial are actually surprisingly lenient with this sort of thing. I applied for JMC, after the interview they thought it wouldn't be suitable for me and gave me an offer for Computing.. I then rang them up and managed to get an offer for Maths instead. As of switching after you get here, if it's done really early in term I don't think there's much of a problem.

Thanks ever so much for your help Omar. It's interesting to know. I'm pretty sure I'll love my course (MEng Aerospace materials) but I'm also a worrier haha! Thanks though, you've made me feel at ease!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, does anyone know how easy it is to switch from chemistry to physics or physics with theoretical physics? It's not a definite thing but I've always been so torn between the two subjects, if I go and start chemistry and decide I should have picked physics, would it be very difficult to switch within the first week or so? My current offer is A*AA for chem, which I am expecting to get as long as my work remains at the same level. Like I said, it's not a definite decision at all yet (assuming I do get the grades to get in), but recent discussions with teachers have got me thinking.
Much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending