The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I used to want to be a nurse when I had to go to hospitals a lot and realised the huge difference nurses make to patient care, and how their attitudes to the job really changes your whole hospital experience (especially children's nurses).
Reply 41
Nurses do not save lives...

Why on earth would you require a degree to be a nurse???? what makes it so difficult that a years worth of training cannot do?

(I genuinely do not know, not being a prat)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by roh
To be fair you can flip this, Doctors could say they'd love to see a nurse attempt some of the things they do.

That hardly matters. What's important here is only that nurses and doctors have different skill sets, which means that both professions are worthwhile. This isn't a dick-measuring contest about which is more valuable, it's about establishing why nursing isn't a waste of time.
Reply 43
Nurses do an incredibly important Job in hospitals, and without them , our country would collapse.

It really is as simple as that.
Original post by yaboy

Why on earth would you require a degree to be a nurse???? what makes it so difficult that a years worth of training cannot do?

You clearly do not know what nurses do, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by milkytea
That hardly matters. What's important here is only that nurses and doctors have different skill sets, which means that both professions are worthwhile. This isn't a dick-measuring contest about which is more valuable, it's about establishing why nursing isn't a waste of time.

I realise I probably should have put it all in the first post but, in mitigation, that is pretty much exactly what I said in my second.
Reply 46
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
You clearly do not know what nurses do, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, no I don't :biggrin:

all I see is that they do the dirty work, Don't see where any real skill is involved
Reply 47
You don't need those skills for the degree; I'm talking about on the job training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still though, if you can't find half of 50 then you shouldn't be allowed on a ward.

Original post by yaboy

Nurses do save lives. They do an incredibly difficult job under harsh conditions. I'd like to see you try it for a month.
Reply 48
I wanted to join the nursing course at uni for the girls :tongue:
Reply 49
Original post by yaboy

Not so sure about that.

The snobby threads on here can be ridiculous sometimes. I mean, are you just being purposefully contentious? You really don't see why nurses need training? Taking care of ill people is extremely difficult, messing up can be devastating for those in your care. There's a lot of tricky jobs that nurses do that could be really harmful to patients if done incorrectly. They actually do save lives by being there to make sure patients aren't neglected, and I'm sure in a number of other ways. I'm not in the field, but anyone with common sense can see that they have a difficult job that requires a great deal of skill as well as compassion and patience.

It's not a case of nurses being like 'sub-doctors' as people often suggest. They're very different jobs and very different roles.
Reply 50
Original post by roh
I realise I probably should have put it all in the first post but, in mitigation, that is pretty much exactly what I said in my second.

Ah, my bad - I missed your second post.
Reply 51
Original post by greatwaves
Not so sure about that.

The snobby threads on here can be ridiculous sometimes. I mean, are you just being purposefully contentious? You really don't see why nurses need training? Taking care of ill people is extremely difficult, messing up can be devastating for those in your care. There's a lot of tricky jobs that nurses do that could be really harmful to patients if done incorrectly. They actually do save lives by being there to make sure patients aren't neglected, and I'm sure in a number of other ways. I'm not in the field, but anyone with common sense can see that they have a difficult job that requires a great deal of skill as well as compassion and patience.

It's not a case of nurses being like 'sub-doctors' as people often suggest. They're very different jobs and very different roles.

I just dont understand why there is a degree in nursing, higher education seems a bit much for a job that requires only training
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by milkytea
Ah, my bad - I missed your second post.

Don't worry, I rarely read the whole thread when it's more than a page!

Would copy and paste it in but can't really do it from the phone.
This is such a stupid thread. People do nursing because there is a need for the nursing profession, it's a good career to have with a lot of different fields to progress in. Senior Nurses do a lot of the work that junior doctors used to do in the old days, they can even diagnose some patients now.

The pay can be very good if a Nurse progresses to senior level and it is a rewarding career. They also do it because they have a genuine interest in the human sciences and they want to care for people.

When I am a medical student/doctor, I will certainly be looking to nurses to help me care for and diagnose patiens as they will have a lot more experience than me. They are an essential part of a clinical team and doctors would be lost without them.
Reply 54
You don't need those skills for the degree; I'm talking about on the job training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying people don't need decent maths skills to pass a nursing degree? Because if you are you're very wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one is asking you to be a nurse.
this thread is genuinely stupid. people are different therefore career choices are going to be subjective so why does it matter if you don't see the appeal - the important thing is that other people do.
nursing is a great job; it offers you the chance to interact with people and care for them and help them to get well. You say nurses have no skills but actually nurses do a lot more than just lift people and make beds. They give injections, take blood, observations, examinations. If you're a nurse practitioner you can even prescribe things so actually it does require training; a 47 week year at uni which compared to everyone else's long holidays the time student nurses and real nurses get off is minimal. also you say why is there a degree for it; you can be trained to be an engineer on the job, you can be trained to be a lot of things on the job but instead now there is a better system where people get professional recognition for their hard work - it's not a bad thing at all so why would you concern yourself with it?
its not necessarily why i want to go into healthcare but lots of people go into nursing for the job opportunities, job security, free fees and nhs bursary too.
also nursing is not bad paid at all - entry at £21,000 which is better than a lot of other jobs out there available to graduates. At the upper end Nurse Consultants earn around £60,000-£70,000 so there is definitely money in it and room to get promoted and further yourself in the profession.
your views on nurses are stupid and pretentious - i have the utmost respect for doctors and nurses and understand that the roles are different and that obviously you have to be a lot smarter to be a doctor but this doesn't take away the fact that if you actually want to be a competent nurse you have to be quite intelligent.
Original post by sweetiepie
this thread is genuinely stupid. people are different therefore career choices are going to be subjective so why does it matter if you don't see the appeal - the important thing is that other people do.
nursing is a great job; it offers you the chance to interact with people and care for them and help them to get well. You say nurses have no skills but actually nurses do a lot more than just lift people and make beds. They give injections, take blood, observations, examinations. If you're a nurse practitioner you can even prescribe things so actually it does require training; a 47 week year at uni which compared to everyone else's long holidays the time student nurses and real nurses get off is minimal. also you say why is there a degree for it; you can be trained to be an engineer on the job, you can be trained to be a lot of things on the job but instead now there is a better system where people get professional recognition for their hard work - it's not a bad thing at all so why would you concern yourself with it?
its not necessarily why i want to go into healthcare but lots of people go into nursing for the job opportunities, job security, free fees and nhs bursary too.
also nursing is not bad paid at all - entry at £21,000 which is better than a lot of other jobs out there available to graduates. At the upper end Nurse Consultants earn around £60,000-£70,000 so there is definitely money in it and room to get promoted and further yourself in the profession.
your views on nurses are stupid and pretentious - i have the utmost respect for doctors and nurses and understand that the roles are different and that obviously you have to be a lot smarter to be a doctor but this doesn't take away the fact that if you actually want to be a competent nurse you have to be quite intelligent.

This. 100% this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moonkatt
Are you saying people don't need decent maths skills to pass a nursing degree? Because if you are you're very wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying the maths you'll be presented with in practice and skills tests will be more difficult with much more riding on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by sweetiepie
if you actually want to be a competent nurse you have to be quite intelligent.

Depends a 100% on what you define as intelligent then...

As for the comment of my views being stupid, I asked a question on why people would want to take nursing at uni its pretty simple cant see the stupid side to it. Its not as if its a degree everyone wants to take is it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending