The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How diverse is Durham University?

Hey guys! I currently hold an offer from Durham University, and I am worried about there being a lack of diversity there. I live in London, and I am constantly surrounded by people from different backgrounds. How would you describe the diversity at Durham?

ETA: Why am I getting negative reputaion for asking a valid question?! I am going to be spending £9,000 a year to go to university; I have every right to be happy and comfortable.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about lack of diversity :smile: - I am a second year philosophy and politics student and my circle of friends includes people from all over the world (Including all parts of the UK, India, Hong Kong, Poland, Canada and Nigeria to name but a few), from all sorts of different backgrounds - I have friends whose parents range from bankers to postmen, teachers to policemen. I don't pretend that there aren't a few people who stick very much in groups of a similar background, but they are in the minority in my view!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It's not the most diverse of places, I am the only brown face in most of my lectures for example.

However, there are loads of international students here from all over the world so it's diverse in the way, and although most people seem to be from the south of England, there are students from different parts of the UK too. You can seek out diversity if you want to.

It's not going to be anything like London!
Reply 3
Original post by Antifazian
It's not the most diverse of places, I am the only brown face in most of my lectures for example.

However, there are loads of international students here from all over the world so it's diverse in the way, and although most people seem to be from the south of England, there are students from different parts of the UK too. You can seek out diversity if you want to.

It's not going to be anything like London!

I'm kind of worried about being the only brown person! Do you often feel uncomfortable there? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but one does tend to feel a bit lonely if there isn't someone of the same colour/ethnicity to converse with about life if you know what I mean :smile:
Original post by InfinitePi
I'm kind of worried about being the only brown person! Do you often feel uncomfortable there? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but one does tend to feel a bit lonely if there isn't someone of the same colour/ethnicity to converse with about life if you know what I mean :smile:

If i'm completely honest with you, yes it does bother me. I don't so much wish to converse with people that look the same as me or whatever necessarily, but jeez just to see them around more often would be nice haha.

Because of rah culture in Durham, a lot of people also dress the same so you end up just seeing a sea of people that almost look like clones sometimes, same hair, same clothes, same accents etc. It gets a bit old, but like I said there is diversity out there it's just not so apparent because of the majority. I would urge you to visit so you can see for yourself, maybe during term time so you get an accurate representation of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
If i'm completely honest with you, yes it does bother me. I don't so much wish to converse with people that look the same as me or whatever necessarily, but jeez just to see them around more often would be nice haha.

Because of rah culture in Durham, a lot of people also dress the same so you end up just seeing a sea of people that almost look like clones sometimes, same hair, same clothes, same accents etc. It gets a bit old, but like I said there is diversity out there it's not so apparent because of the majority. I would urge you to visit so you can see for yourself, maybe during term time so you get an accurate representation of it.

Ahaha, yes! I totally understand how you feel. I'm coming up for the overnight stay tomorrow and I'm dreading it.
Ahaha, yes! I totally understand how you feel. I'm coming up for the overnight stay tomorrow and I'm dreading it.

I didn't go on an open day, but I heard that they were great fun from everyone I know who did so you should have a good time :smile:

The good thing is that you have Newcastle very close by, I often escape there for a change of scenery, it's far more diverse than Durham and there's more going on.
Reply 7
Original post by Arnob204
It's funny how it's fine for foreigners to complain about a lack of 'diversity' but if I were to complain about being the only white person on a bus in Birmingham for example I'd be a racist.

I'm not a foreigner, I'm a born and bred Londoner.
Reply 8
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

If I were to complain about a lack of white people in a particular area would you see it as a legitimate concern or would you dismiss my opinion as that of a racist? There can't be different rules for different people chum.

I would see it as a legitimate concern because I understand what it feels like to be the minority.
Reply 9

Because of rah culture in Durham, a lot of people also dress the same so you end up just seeing a sea of people that almost look like clones sometimes, same hair, same clothes, same accents etc. It gets a bit old, but like I said there is diversity out there it's just not so apparent because of the majority. I would urge you to visit so you can see for yourself, maybe during term time so you get an accurate representation of it.

What do you study?
Reply 10
Definitely visit, Durham certainly isn't the most diverse place but it's not so bad as people make out. I know a really wide range of people of lots of different nationalities :smile:
Original post by Ebuwa
What do you study?

Anthropology
It's funny how it's fine for foreigners to complain about a lack of 'diversity' but if I were to complain about being the only white person on a bus in Birmingham for example I'd be a racist.

Idiot, you've totally assumed that we're foreign. You're wrong.

Says a lot about you that you jumped to that conclusion just because we were talking about brown faces. :rolleyes:

Everyone likes to be among people familiar to them, it's normal.
Reply 13
Idiot, you've totally assumed that we're foreign. You're wrong.

Says a lot about you that you jumped to that conclusion just because we were talking about brown faces. :rolleyes:

Everyone likes to be among people familiar to them, it's normal.

Address my question, I've already admitted my mistake. (Which you'd know if you'd bothered to read my posts.)
Address my question, I've already admitted my mistake. (Which you'd know if you'd bothered to read my posts.)

Likewise, if you'd bothered to read my posts you would have seen that i've already addressed it. I think it's normal to want to be around people who are like oneself.
Reply 15
Original post by kevin6767
If it bothers you that much go to uni in London. If being around people that look similar to you is more important than the people themselves try a South African uni or a so called black college in America. Really don't understand what you problem is. You put yourself into a minority category no one puts you there. Think of yourself in terms of colour in Europe and you'll feel like a minority, think of yourself as British and you are no different to anyone else irrespective of colour. Like I said if you can't get past your own skin colour go to Africa. And before you start screaming racist I'm mixed.

Your post is a bit extreme. It doesn't bother me at all, I simply asked because I wanted to know what the diversity was like at Durham. I had been warned by teachers that there are no mixed race/asian/black people so I thought I would ask on here to get a true opinion. I'm comfortable with who I am.
Reply 16
Well you must have some pretty awful teachers. I have never met a teacher that would make such a stupid statement or even think that how "diverse" a university is would or should matter. No Asians? Really? At university? Its not like they have a reputation for being studious at all...Just took a quick look at your profile. You are either trolling or not really comfortable with who you are as you made a similar sort of thread about Warwick. No doubt there will be more threads like it to come from you. My post wasn't extreme just blunt.

Why would I troll about a topic like this? I made a thread about Warwick because I have some other friends thinking of firming there, and we just wanted to gain some more information about it. You don't know anything about me to be able to say that I'm not comfortable with who I am. I simply asked a question, and you are reading too much into it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Someone could be just like her but have a different skin tone. Like I said in my post above if OP holds being around people that look similar to her she can easily apply to an African uni.

She wants to find out about Durham Uni, not an African uni. You have no real point here.

lol:biggrin:
time to get out the popcorn:banana:

Quick Reply

Latest