The Student Room Group

Access to HE courses and funding yourself whilst doing it?

Hi all quick question, for anyone who has done an access course, how have you funded yourself for the year whilst doing it? I think i will be able to get the course for free, just wondered how you funded your living expenses etc for the year?

I'm 26 btw, so hopefully someone who has been in the same position can help, thanks :smile:
Original post by The_Machine
Hi all quick question, for anyone who has done an access course, how have you funded yourself for the year whilst doing it? I think i will be able to get the course for free, just wondered how you funded your living expenses etc for the year?

I'm 26 btw, so hopefully someone who has been in the same position can help, thanks :smile:

Hi mate I'm 29 and just about to finish my diploma.

I found a part time job for Sainsbury's which was 16 hours per week. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday, giving me free time in the week for my work and college.

Others that attend do way more hours than I do. But they do find the balance between work and college a struggle.

As of September the course fees are increasing. You will be able to obtain a loan to cover them, and if you proceed to an undergraduate degree you don't have to pay them back.
Reply 2
I had to move back in with my mother to be able to do the course. I have also been looking for a part-time job since September with no luck.
Reply 3
Original post by ExWunderkind
Hi mate I'm 29 and just about to finish my diploma.

I found a part time job for Sainsbury's which was 16 hours per week. I work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday, giving me free time in the week for my work and college.

Others that attend do way more hours than I do. But they do find the balance between work and college a struggle.

As of September the course fees are increasing. You will be able to obtain a loan to cover them, and if you proceed to an undergraduate degree you don't have to pay them back.

Hey mate thanks for the reply. Have you been able to live ok working 16 hours, and have you found this to be ok on top of the course itself? I don't really want work to affect my studying, because the whole reason of going along this route is to end up with a well paid job that i like.

What hours are your course? Are they generally full time/day time courses? And how much home studying/home work are you looking at per week. (I'm just looking at what i can fit in to my week on top)

I guess i will have to find somewhere flexible with the hours i work, as long as i can get enough to survive the 9-12 months that's good with me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by FaraDai
I had to move back in with my mother to be able to do the course. I have also been looking for a part-time job since September with no luck.

How have you got by since September? At least you've not got long left now, what are your plans after the course?
Hey mate thanks for the reply. Have you been able to live ok working 16 hours, and have you found this to be ok on top of the course itself? I don't really want work to affect my studying, because the whole reason of going along this route is to end up with a well paid job that i like.

What hours are your course? Are they generally full time/day time courses? And how much home studying/home work are you looking at per week. (I'm just looking at what i can fit in to my week on top)

I guess i will have to find somewhere flexible with the hours i work, as long as i can get enough to survive the 9-12 months that's good with me :smile:

I can manage on 16 hours, but it is no luxury. Depends how much your rent and other bills are. You need to work out how much you need to earn each month first of all and then see how many hours you need to work.

16 hours is fine I would say. It has no impact on my studies at all.

Semester 1 I did 9.30 - 3.15 Monday, 9.30 - 12.00 Wednesday, 9.30 - 3.15 Thursday and 9.30 - 12.00 Friday.

Semester 2 has been much better, but that is because I worked my socks off in Semester 1, it paid off. I now do 9.30 - 3.15 Wednesday and 9.30 - 3.15 Friday.

On top of that I guess I do a further 10 hours per week home studying, completing assignments etc.

Hope that helps!
I was lucky that I was able to do some IT consultancy in my spare time. This allowed me to work around my studies.
Reply 7
Original post by ExWunderkind
I can manage on 16 hours, but it is no luxury. Depends how much your rent and other bills are. You need to work out how much you need to earn each month first of all and then see how many hours you need to work.

16 hours is fine I would say. It has no impact on my studies at all.

Semester 1 I did 9.30 - 3.15 Monday, 9.30 - 12.00 Wednesday, 9.30 - 3.15 Thursday and 9.30 - 12.00 Friday.

Semester 2 has been much better, but that is because I worked my socks off in Semester 1, it paid off. I now do 9.30 - 3.15 Wednesday and 9.30 - 3.15 Friday.

On top of that I guess I do a further 10 hours per week home studying, completing assignments etc.

Hope that helps!

That's a great help mate thanks for that.

I'm confident after reading your posts that i will be able to do it, i will just have to cut down on a few things, which is fine. Thanks man i appreciate it.
That's a great help mate thanks for that.

I'm confident after reading your posts that i will be able to do it, i will just have to cut down on a few things, which is fine. Thanks man i appreciate it.

You're welcome. Just work hard and it will pay off.

What are you hoping to study at Uni?
Reply 9
How have you got by since September? At least you've not got long left now, what are your plans after the course?

Well I dont have to pay rent or help with food for the house but I have had to pay for all my bus fares and lunches etc out of a welsh assembly grant, I had £650 in September, £450 in January and will have another £400 coming about the second week or April.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just be careful as a few in my class worked in care homes around study and often came into college having had little or no sleep. Some were able to do very well despite this, but others really blew their chances of good results.
There is no doubt money is essential, but so is rest and relaxation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending