The Student Room Group

Unis won't give me a damn with no A Levels Math?

Do I stand no chance for being eligible for Business/Eco programs?

With A grades in Economics, Accounts and Urdu is there any probablity of being considered?

Scroll to see replies

You will have to check each University's admission requirements on an individual basis.

Not all Business courses require Maths.
I presume Urdu is your first language, so many universities will disregard it.

Economics and Accounts have a fair bit of cross-over, so again you have put yourself at a disadvantage.

As you have a fairly non-standard set of qualifications, I would suggest contacting the universities prior to applying to establish their policies on first language A Levels, and their position on taking economics and accounting together.
why did u you do A levels in Urdu?
Reply 4
I see- most unis simply state ABC or ABB in A levels. Which is fine- but what about the subjects? A levels offers hundreds of subjects, and a Music subject would technically be a complete A level just like Economics. I have emailed a few- let's see if they respond. I'm interested in UK and Australian/Canadian univerisites.

Okay, see you mentioned about cross-over. I have around 45 days to May/Junes session, so I can't take up Math. I thought only realsitcly possible and wirthwhile subject is Business Studies. What's your opinion?

Original post by Origami Bullets
I presume Urdu is your first language, so many universities will disregard it.

Economics and Accounts have a fair bit of cross-over, so again you have put yourself at a disadvantage.

As you have a fairly non-standard set of qualifications, I would suggest contacting the universities prior to applying to establish their policies on first language A Levels, and their position on taking economics and accounting together.
Reply 5
Original post by study beats
why did u you do A levels in Urdu?

I planned to do ACCA- for which you don't even need A'levels. So I made some serious blunders in selecting the subjects.
Reply 6
By the way I had O levels Math with a B grade ( all other 8 subjects had A*/As so I was disheartened and dropped Math. :P FML :'p)
Original post by SeenSheen
I planned to do ACCA- for which you don't even need A'levels. So I made some serious blunders in selecting the subjects.

why did u do urdu
I see- most unis simply state ABC or ABB in A levels. Which is fine- but what about the subjects? A levels offers hundreds of subjects, and a Music subject would technically be a complete A level just like Economics. I have emailed a few- let's see if they respond. I'm interested in UK and Australian/Canadian univerisites.

Okay, see you mentioned about cross-over. I have around 45 days to May/Junes session, so I can't take up Math. I thought only realsitcly possible and wirthwhile subject is Business Studies. What's your opinion?

Trying to take up a new A Level now is a mug's game - you won't do well in it, and your other grades will suffer as a result.

I'm aware that there are many different subjects available at A Level, but there are potentially problems with the ones you've picked. A Levels in your mother tongue are sometimes disregarded (this happened to a German friend), and universities often do not like you to do two subjects that are very similar. However, this will vary by university and so it is imperative that you contact every university that you intend to apply for, and ask for their opinion - because at the end of the day it is their opinion, and not mine, that counts.
Reply 9
Original post by study beats
why did u do urdu

Because I do poetry in my native language- and I have always been interested in languages and literature. Should have kept my interests to library halls though.
Reply 10
Original post by Origami Bullets
Trying to take up a new A Level now is a mug's game - you won't do well in it, and your other grades will suffer as a result.

I'm aware that there are many different subjects available at A Level, but there are potentially problems with the ones you've picked. A Levels in your mother tongue are sometimes disregarded (this happened to a German friend), and universities often do not like you to do two subjects that are very similar. However, this will vary by university and so it is imperative that you contact every university that you intend to apply for, and ask for their opinion - because at the end of the day it is their opinion, and not mine, that counts.

True that- it really is a big gamble taking up a new subject now.

And talking about the problems with my selection, did I mention I had an A in General Paper too- so a complete mishap :P Well, thanks for your valuable insight.
I got 5 offers for chemistry without maths
There will be Foundation courses that you can possibly do with the qualifications you already have - this is a pre-degree course that usually allows you to go straight onto the 2nd year of a full degree course.

For instance : http://www.bournville.ac.uk/courses/foundation-degree-in-business-level-5-subject-to-validation-by-university-college-birmingham/
Reply 13
Original post by returnmigrant
There will be Foundation courses that you can possibly do with the qualifications you already have - this is a pre-degree course that usually allows you to go straight onto the 2nd year of a full degree course.

For instance : http://www.bournville.ac.uk/courses/foundation-degree-in-business-level-5-subject-to-validation-by-university-college-birmingham/

Thanks- that really sounds a great back up option.
Reply 14
Because I do poetry in my native language- and I have always been interested in languages and literature. Should have kept my interests to library halls though.

That's a ridiculous reply. No-one's criticising you for being interested in Urdu, but you must have known that A-level Urdu is Urdu as a SECOND language? Doing it as one of your three A-levels if you were brought up speaking Urdu is just scamming, lazy and stupid.
Reply 15
Accounts isnt a great strong a level for university, but i guess you could apply for like BA in A&F
Reply 16
Original post by Ronove
That's a ridiculous reply. No-one's criticising you for being interested in Urdu, but you must have known that A-level Urdu is Urdu as a SECOND language? Doing it as one of your three A-levels if you were brought up speaking Urdu is just scamming, lazy and stupid.

I agree. People tell me I have been carefree and absurd with the subject selection. Actually, we had bad financial issues, and I was pretty much decided on not applying to universities and doing ACCA (a professional certification) which doesn't need any A levels at all. Being severely dejected on aborting my original plan of studying abroad, I made a blunder by picking a one major less.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do I stand no chance for being eligible for Business/Eco programs?

With A grades in Economics, Accounts and Urdu is there any probablity of being considered?

An A-Level in Urdu is more of a waste than General Studies... so that is another problem you face
LOL wtf a level is urdu
Reply 19
Seriously course they will let you in without an a level maths providing you have at least a b at maths gcse I am doing business and economics and I don't have a maths alevel and I'm at a top uni. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending