The Student Room Group

Basically...have my furture plans failed?

Im in my second year of college and have applied for English Literature for university. The thing is it kind of hit me a few months back that I cannot afford it. Some of you might be saying what's student loan for, but I refuse to take out student loan. My brother did as well.

My other option was a Theological course which is cheaper than 9 grand and affordable, so I went with that. You don't need to apply through UCAS, it's a private institution. Just now I recieved an email saying I can't do the course because I don't meet the age requirements (even though they didn't clarify this!)

I'm not immensely distressed, I take life as it comes. I take the view 'It's not meant to be' kind of thing.

I just wanted to post this to see what you guys think. So pretty much next year, I have no idea where I'm going to be:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you want to take out a student loan?
Why would you refuse to take out a student loan????

Just get a job next year.
When did your brother go to university? If it was a while ago, before huge fees, that may have something to do with it. In which case, you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.
You're only stopping yourself by refusing to take out a student loan.
Reply 5
To those asking why:
I don't like the idea of student loans and debt, goes against my ethics and conscience.
(I knew many of you would think I'm crazy, I know a few people who feel the same!)
Reply 6
Original post by Kousar
To those asking why:
I don't like the idea of student loans and debt, goes against my ethics and conscience.
(I knew many of you would think I'm crazy, I know a few people who feel the same!)

goes against your ethics and conscience??
you're not taking out a wonga loan here...it has possibly the best interest rate you will get on a loan in your life, and to fund a merit good like education?
no brainer
Reply 7
Original post by Kousar
To those asking why:

Its not like you are taking out a loan to spend it on something frivolous. You would be taking a loan to invest in your future
Reply 8
So what were you hoping for us to tell you?
Do you have any ideas what sort of career you want?
Reply 9
Original post by Philbert
So what were you hoping for us to tell you?
Do you have any ideas what sort of career you want?

Just comments and suggestions I guess :smile: and people slamming down my throat "WOW. You're not taking a student loan out, but but but- are you craaaazzzzzzy!!" ahah. People won't understand my reasons, and I respect that. But for me, I would not take a student loan out.

Oh and about careers, anything in the Arts and Humanities field. I don't mind teaching either. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
take a gap year to get a job in the field you want to work so you get enough for the expensive course. Won't make that much difference in the long run and you'll get a degree. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by igloo1
take a gap year to get a job in the field you want to work so you get enough for the expensive course. Won't make that much difference in the long run and you'll get a degree. :smile:

You're pobably the only person who's bothered to chip in some advice. aha. thanks :smile:
Reply 12
There is no reason for not taking out a student loan, does not effect you in terms of mortgage and future loans and comes out of your monthly income only when you are earning over 22k annually as a percentage, so almost as a tax. After 30 years, regardless of how much you have paid off, it gets written off. Therefore the majority of us won't even pay back the whole loan anyway.
Reply 13
What a ridiculous discussion. This is not a loan in the traditional sense. The interest rate is very small (I believe it's only just above inflation) and chances are you won't pay it all back anyway since the debt is wiped after 30 years (so really, the interest rate is insignificant). There will be nobody coming round to take your stuff if you can't pay it back, and if you are earning less than £21,000 you pay nothing at all. It is more like an extra tax on those who go to university...

Unless you have some major religious reason for taking one out (which is silly if you ask me, since this is the way the government is trying to encourage social mobility - to dismiss it as entirely immoral is an unhelpful standpoint) then I would reconsider. Don't throw your life away over some silly personal preference not to get into any debt at all even at the loss of a potentially life-changing education/experience.
Reply 14
omno
Original post by Kousar
You're pobably the only person who's bothered to chip in some advice. aha. thanks :smile:

no worries. :smile:
Original post by Kousar

Have you thought about part-time study? Would that be better for you?
Take out a student loan
Reply 17
Well im sorry to hear you've chosen to priotize relgion over education, but if thata your choice then you cant go to uni by the souds of your post
Original post by Kousar
To those asking why:

Think of it as a tax, not debt!
Reply 19
Original post by akash11
Well im sorry to hear you've chosen to priotize relgion over education, but if thata your choice then you cant go to uni by the souds of your post

You don't need to apologise:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending