The Student Room Group

Currently a first year biomed student, interested in investment banking

Hi! As the title suggest I am a first year biomed student currently studying at KCL :smile:

I am interested in investment banking as a possible future career path to, but I am not really sure how to go about it. I have applied to many internships, never got an offer :frown:

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Little_Cat
Hi! As the title suggest I am a first year biomed student currently studying at KCL :smile:

I am interested in investment banking as a possible future career path to, but I am not really sure how to go about it. I have applied to many internships, never got an offer :frown:

Need to know more about you/what you've done. How many applications, what division, previous work experience, societies etc. Have you had interviews?
Reply 3

I studied the same course as you. You can PM me if you so wish.
Reply 4
If you define yourself as pretty you should hang around canary wharf on firday nights and make it clear to everyone around you that you are available.

As males start to show interest, you should try to guess from their clothes (brand of suit etc. You'll get used to it, no rush) and age what position they occupy.

From associate onwards go all in and reply positively to any request as weird as they may seem. The morning after, when they hand out some cash, politely refuse and beg them for an interview.
Reply 5
LOL at associates making hiring . At least EMEA head but more likely global head can make decisions to bypass hr
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MinorityInterest
Need to know more about you/what you've done. How many applications, what division, previous work experience, societies etc. Have you had interviews?

A few, I honesty don't remember. I remember applying to HSBC and nomura for their summer internship programme. It wasn't in any specific division I don't think. I also applied to nomura woman in banking (since I am female and posses two X chromosomes). I am currently in the business division of GKT gazette. No previous work experience in banking (I have tried to get some back office work at Barclays, Halifax and HSBC, but I was unsuccessful)

I have had no interviews at all.

I just honestly wanted to know if it was a viable career path and if it is how do I go about it :smile:

Thanks for your reply!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Frenchous
If you define yourself as pretty you should hang around canary wharf on firday nights and make it clear to everyone around you that you are available.

As males start to show interest, you should try to guess from their clothes (brand of suit etc. You'll get used to it, no rush) and age what position they occupy.

From associate onwards go all in and reply positively to any request as weird as they may seem. The morning after, when they hand out some cash, politely refuse and beg them for an interview.

I wouldn't call myself pretty unfortunately

But your post was amusing and made me laugh! Lol
(edited 11 years ago)
A few, I honesty don't remember. I remember applying to HSBC and nomura for their summer internship programme. It wasn't in any specific division I don't think. I also applied to nomura woman in banking (since I am female and posses two X chromosomes). I am currently in the business division of GKT gazette. No previous work experience in banking (I have tried to get some back office work at Barclays, Halifax and HSBC, but I was unsuccessful)

I have had no interviews at all.

I just honestly wanted to know if it was a viable career path and if it is how do I go about it :smile:

Thanks for your reply!

You're still a first year, so for internships you're up against penultimate years (which is who internships are designed for), and also recent graduates without a full time offer. So it shouldn't be surprising that you haven't landed an offer yet. You missed out by not applying for spring weeks, but it's not the end of the world.

Focus on building up your CV to show leadership qualities, societies stuff, and if you can get it, some finance-based work experience. I'm pretty sure you could spin the GKT experience into something nice for the work experience section (definitely try to make this sound as finance-y as possible, I think it's a cool thing to be doing). Try and get something to do this summer, whether it's teaching kids in Africa or some finance experience, just have something well written on your CV so you look interesting.

Then apply for internships for 2014, applications will open from August. Ace the aptitude tests, see how you fare at landing/converting interviews.

And spread your net wider when applying. Consider there being three groups, the bulge bracket (GS, MS, CS, C, DB, JPM, UBS, BAML, BARC), other large firms with smaller overall investment banking footprints (BNPP, SocGen, Nomura, HSBC and so on.), and then depending on the sort of thing you're applying for, you should consider a third group containing all sorts of other firms (brokerages, asset managers, 'boutique' M&A shops).
Reply 9
Original post by MinorityInterest
You're still a first year, so for internships you're up against penultimate years (which is who internships are designed for), and also recent graduates without a full time offer. So it shouldn't be surprising that you haven't landed an offer yet. You missed out by not applying for spring weeks, but it's not the end of the world.

Focus on building up your CV to show leadership qualities, societies stuff, and if you can get it, some finance-based work experience. I'm pretty sure you could spin the GKT experience into something nice for the work experience section (definitely try to make this sound as finance-y as possible, I think it's a cool thing to be doing). Try and get something to do this summer, whether it's teaching kids in Africa or some finance experience, just have something well written on your CV so you look interesting.

Then apply for internships for 2014, applications will open from August. Ace the aptitude tests, see how you fare at landing/converting interviews.

And spread your net wider when applying. Consider there being three groups, the bulge bracket (GS, MS, CS, C, DB, JPM, UBS, BAML, BARC), other large firms with smaller overall investment banking footprints (BNPP, SocGen, Nomura, HSBC and so on.), and then depending on the sort of thing you're applying for, you should consider a third group containing all sorts of other firms (brokerages, asset managers, 'boutique' M&A shops).

Thank you so much for all your help and advise :smile: I will definitely take it on board and apply them in the future. I guess I just panicked yesterday because we had a careers advising session and it freaked me out!
On a slightly more serious note now, not getting a spring week (i suppose that is what you applied for in your first year) is not the end of the world.

You should try to do some research on areas that interest you in banking and try to find out what they do (what valuation methods they use etc). You should attend networking events in london. Some are held jointly with UCL and Imperial. That s an opportunity to hear from employees what they do and what they look for.

During this summer you should get some form of work experience that shows you possess skills that are valued in the division you target. It does NOT have to be in banking.

E.g. You just found out you love equity research. Your dad knows someone in a think thank focussed on public health where you do an internship during which you collect and summarise information, write memos and reports. Perfect fit!

Or you want to become a salesperson and applied for that job at your uni as part of which you are asked to cold call alumni to raise money. Perfect fit!

Most experiences are almost useless in reality but if you market them properly they look like gold.

This summer you should also prepare your summer internship applications for next year. That means starting to work on your cover letters, updating your cv, starting online applications. The aim should be to send most at mid october and get all the online tests done.

Also dont be disheartened not to get interviews because Kings is not really targeted for front office so dont take it personally.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending