The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by brittanna
I'm taking STEP I and AEA, but do you think it's worth considering taking STEP II, or am I very unlikely to do better in STEP II than STEP I or AEA? Also, when can we be entered for these exams and how much does AEA cost?

My teacher said there was almost no point being entered for other STEPs, as the chances of doing better in them is negligible - but maybe its good practice anyway, I think STEP II comes before STEP 1 this year, although I'm not sure. As for your other questions, not sure
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by dj89
Well I'm going to enter for both, so will have to sit one in isolation :frown: Considering other universities as well (e.g. UCL) include both AEA and STEP in their maths offers, it seems like pretty bad organisation between exam boards

Never understood why there are different exam boards in the first place.

A maths degree in UCL is not considered the same standard as one from Liveppol, so why is an A-Level in maths from MEI deemed identical to AQA?

(Looking at the MEI sylllabus, it goes on forever, includes Group Theory and Stochastic Processes).
Reply 22
I'm taking STEP I and AEA, but do you think it's worth considering taking STEP II, or am I very unlikely to do better in STEP II than STEP I or AEA? Also, when can we be entered for these exams and how much does AEA cost?

STEP I is the 25th June, STEP II is on the 19th June. My friend with a Warwick offer is entering STEP II as a bit of insurance but I think generally STEP I is going to be easier to get the needed grade on - however, time yourself on some mocks for both to see what the case is (some find STEP II easier). Best of luck! You can enter them now if you ask at your exams office. AEA is £42.50 in standard fare, however your exams office may be able to get a reduction.
Hi :smile:

I've applied to do Maths And Philosophy (the four year course).

I've already got my A* in Maths, and am predicted A*s in Further Maths, Physics and History. I also have my A in AS Economics from last year.

I've received the standard offer.

I'm applying for STEP this week, but haven't looked at any past papers or anything yet. How similar/difficult is it compared to the Oxford MAT? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by A Pink Monster
Hi :smile:

I've applied to do Maths And Philosophy (the four year course).

I've already got my A* in Maths, and am predicted A*s in Further Maths, Physics and History. I also have my A in AS Economics from last year.

I've received the standard offer.

I'm applying for STEP this week, but haven't looked at any past papers or anything yet. How similar/difficult is it compared to the Oxford MAT? :smile:

I can help you with this because I did the Oxford MAT and I now study maths at Warwick. I scored 62 in the MAT (it didn't go so well), but generally a good score in the MAT is about 70+ and will get you a place. STEP is a bit different in that it is out of 120, and also the questions are longer and more interesting (I think). I scored 83/120 on STEP I (grade 1) and 62/120 on STEP II (grade 2), with grade 2 being satisfactory for Warwick.

I would say that STEP I is harder than the MAT, because if you took it at the time when the MAT is taken, you would probably score less due to having covered less material, but considering that by the time you get to take it you have studied a lot more, it seems easier, and you should do fine in it if you study properly for STEP from now until the exam. STEP II is definitely harder, but I guess I was up for the challenge! It is always good to take another one because it is usually after STEP I so the pressure is off a little bit, and it could help you with bargaining if you miss your offer. For example somebody last year took all 3 STEPs and scored S 3 S I think, and he was accepted into Cambridge taking into account his STEP I result.
Ah, thanks :smile: That's really interesting :smile: Are there any particular resources/websites etc. that you would recommend? I've already downloaded all the past papers and mark schemes I can find! :biggrin:
Original post by A Pink Monster
Ah, thanks :smile: That's really interesting :smile: Are there any particular resources/websites etc. that you would recommend? I've already downloaded all the past papers and mark schemes I can find! :biggrin:

Did warwick send you login details to access the integral maths resources?
Did warwick send you login details to access the integral maths resources?

Ohhhhhhhhh.... Yes! I think they did :tongue: I think I stupidly dismissed them at the time, but I'm sure I'll be able to dig them out again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending