The Student Room Group

Do you eat your housemates food?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McHumpy92
I would say around 3 or 4 pieces of bread....couple of mushrooms, about 4 cherry tomatoes, an apple and banana, couple of spoonfulls of yoghurt, maybe a chocolate bar...I also use their foil and cling film because I always forget to buy any.

I usually have loads of milk...but would use that if in a rush and got none...I also eat their cereal because they barely eat it.

They also eat my stuff. But they don't eat each others stuff....I eat their stuff and they eat mine, but no one else does it too each other. Another lad who used to live here had same mentality as me, but not as cheeky, but still did it.

I would rip your head off. Are you kidding me? If you have not bought something and have not asked if you can have it, don't ****ing take it. It is not a hard concept to grasp.
Reply 81
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I would rip your head off. Are you kidding me? If you have not bought something and have not asked if you can have it, don't ****ing take it. It is not a hard concept to grasp.

You really wouldn't...the girls I live with would put the same stuff as you and the angry others on here also...but they don't get angry with me in reality. I am pretty hard to be angry at, it is hard to be angry with someone when they're making you laugh.

Also you have to remember they eat my food as well...it's not all take and that just isn't from one person.
You really wouldn't...the girls I live with would put the same stuff as you and the angry others on here also...but they don't get angry with me in reality. I am pretty hard to be angry at, it is hard to be angry with someone when they're making you laugh.

Also you have to remember they eat my food as well...it's not all take and that just isn't from one person.

You don't know me. I thrive on anger, believe me. If someone is care-free and chilled out, I probably don't get along with them. If you did this to me, I would have a serious ****ing problem with you. And would promptly throw food of yours out the window. It's just food, right? No need to get possessive through "social conditioning".

You wouldn't be making me laugh. You'd be making me want to hit you.
Reply 83
Also with cereal I currently have about 10+ sachets of porridge, a box of special K yoghurt or nugget thing and a box of country crispy in my drawer that I never bought...but they just don't eat them and will just let them go off...so I may as well have them.

Also it stops them from getting fatter...my genetics can handle the calories and there oestrogen filled bodies can't...I actually tell them I am making sacrifices for them for that very reason.
Reply 84
You don't know me. I thrive on anger, believe me. If someone is care-free and chilled out, I probably don't get along with them. If you did this to me, I would have a serious ****ing problem with you. And would promptly throw food of yours out the window. It's just food, right? No need to get possessive through "social conditioning".

You wouldn't be making me laugh. You'd be making me want to hit you.

I would break you!

I would enjoy making you into a nicer person...done it with loads of people, you would be no different.
I dont eat their food, they eat mine!!
I have never stolen cash or anything in my life. I am not really a materialistic person so never really want anything. Thanks for the accusations though, but I guess you judge people by your own standards. Maybe I just see the best in people and not see people as a threat. I genuinely believe most people are kind and caring and will not thieve and go out of their way to return lost items.

Kind and caring yet you seem to be inconsiderate of other people's boundaries?? Inconsiderate is synonymous with unkind. If you believe the things you believe, that's fine. But you cannot impose those beliefs on others and get confrontational when they don't agree.

What I was saying, rather than accusing you, is where is the line? So you're happy to take food and bread and borrow items, where do you stop? Why not cash?

Also "I have never stolen cash or anything in my life"

Stolen, past participle of steal - Verb:
Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle".

Is that not what you are doing to people's food and alcohol?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by BethaneyJ
Kind and caring yet you seem to be inconsiderate of other people's boundaries?? Inconsiderate is synonymous with unkind. If you believe the things you believe, that's fine. But you cannot impose those beliefs on others and get confrontational when they don't agree.

What I was saying, rather than accusing you, is where is the line? So you're happy to take food and bread and borrow items, where do you stop? Why not cash?

Also "I have never stolen cash or anything in my life"

Stolen, past participle of steal - Verb:
Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle".

Is that not what you are doing to people's food and alcohol?

No.
Reply 88
This guy cannot be serious.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89

Also another thing I have noticed with houseshares is that loads of food gets wasted because a whole loaf is generally too much for one person, a bunch of bananas or pack of apples etc...so much food gets wasted. That is why I also do it as well because they generally just chuck it away.

There's a very simple solution to this issue... share food. I have shared bread, milk, butter etc with people in house shares. It is as easy as saying 'I never eat the whole loaf/drink the whole bottle in time, want to share?' then alternate buying. Can be extended to whatever foods you want, and you can also eat/cook together as well if you want.

In a random flat/house share then no I would not take any food from others without asking. In a house shared with friends I would say it's acceptable to take a spoonful of sugar, a stock cube, a little bit of milk without asking if you were part way through making something and couldn't contact them. In this case I'd tell them afterwards. But this rarely happens. And wherever practical I'd replace it (eg. give them a stock cube when I got to the shop... not so much with the spoon of sugar! Though I would make it clear they can take things likewise). Any more would be frustrating not because of the actual value of the food, or the 'principle' you mention, but the fact that they will assume they have that food and may plan their meals etc around it and it's not there any more.

xxx
I would break you!

I would enjoy making you into a nicer person...done it with loads of people, you would be no different.

Do you realise how arrogant you sound? If nothing thus far has changed me, you would not either. You're not a psychiatrist, you're just a dick.

I'm a perfectly nice person. I spend about four hours a week volunteering, not counting the countless hours in my holidays. I donate money every week to charities, I have never turned down a person in need. I don't need to think theft is acceptable to be a nice person.

You seem to think you have some sort of control over the morals people have adopted. You don't.

Or you're just a troll. Either way, your arrogance is outstanding.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Why has this been moved to student accommodation? I don't even live in student accommodation. Probably why I see it differently because I deal with adults rather than people that have yet had to think for themselves.
Reply 92
Do you realise how arrogant you sound? If nothing thus far has changed me, you would not either. You're not a psychiatrist, you're just a dick.

I'm a perfectly nice person. I spend about four hours a week volunteering, not counting the countless hours in my holidays. I donate money every week to charities, I have never turned down a person in need. I don't need to think theft is acceptable to be a nice person.

You seem to think you have some sort of control over the morals people have adopted. You don't.

Or you're just a troll. Either way, you're arrogance is outstanding.

I am very arrogant...but not in a negative way, I never put people down.

How is taking something that someone doesn't mind you taking theft?

You seem like a violent person, I would teach you to not be violent, that alone would make you a nicer person and less mentally weak.
Reply 93
You're all gullible for feeding the troll.
Reply 94
Original post by kpwxx
There's a very simple solution to this issue... share food. I have shared bread, milk, butter etc with people in house shares. It is as easy as saying 'I never eat the whole loaf/drink the whole bottle in time, want to share?' then alternate buying. Can be extended to whatever foods you want, and you can also eat/cook together as well if you want.

In a random flat/house share then no I would not take any food from others without asking. In a house shared with friends I would say it's acceptable to take a spoonful of sugar, a stock cube, a little bit of milk without asking if you were part way through making something and couldn't contact them. In this case I'd tell them afterwards. But this rarely happens. And wherever practical I'd replace it (eg. give them a stock cube when I got to the shop... not so much with the spoon of sugar! Though I would make it clear they can take things likewise). Any more would be frustrating not because of the actual value of the food, or the 'principle' you mention, but the fact that they will assume they have that food and may plan their meals etc around it and it's not there any more.

xxx

tbh when I buy fruit and bread I actually put it on the surface and leave it there and tell everyone just to use it because I won't eat it in time...they put theirs in their cupboard, but I take it anyway but they don't mind.
I am very arrogant...but not in a negative way, I never put people down.

How is taking something that someone doesn't mind you taking theft?

You seem like a violent person, I would teach you to not be violent, that alone would make you a nicer person and less mentally weak.

There is no such thing as arrogant in a positive way. That's an oxymoron.

Theft is defined as taking something that does not belong to you with no intention of giving it back. You say your housemates do not mind. You've also said that you basically started doing this and then they stopped minding. So you stole from them.

I am not a violent person, I have never been violent towards anyone in my life thus far. I am also not mentally weak - I'm a strong person. I take a Hell of a lot of offense to your suggestion that you would be able to "teach" me - not if I didn't want to be taught, you wouldn't.
Reply 96
Original post by jool
You're all gullible for feeding the troll.

I am actually being serious though. I am actually thinking about getting one of my housemtes to join to prove it. But that would mean revealing my dreadful posting history.
Yeh I think he's a troll.
I'll add one more thing, I truly think it's nothing to do with money,I disagree with taking other people's stuff. I earn more than enough money now, and my rent's very cheap-but if somebody took my food and left me without any-money aside, I would be upset.
I work funny hours-if I get in and want something to eat and it's not there, and I'm tired and hungry-I'm'a going to get annoyed-and that's not good for atmosphere in a houseshare.
If someone takes your alcohol-even if you've got more than enough money to get some more, there might not be a shop open for you to get some more.
I stole a can of beer off my housemate a few weeks ago.He doesn't drink beer at all, it was there from when he got some cans in for a friend's visit and they didn't drink them all. He didn't care one jot-but I still felt guilty so I bought him a drink next time I saw him out lol.
Reply 98
I do quite regular! Luckily I get on with them well and they laugh it off. I wouldn't eat a main piece like expensive meat...but definitely bread, milk, fruit, salad if I fancy it. Would this bother you? If so why?

I think I am going to get a housemate eventually that will hate me doing it...should be interesting.

btw I am pretty easy going with my food as well.

I would put laxatives in my food. How would you like that?:colone:
Reply 99
There is no such thing as arrogant in a positive way. That's an oxymoron.

Theft is defined as taking something that does not belong to you with no intention of giving it back. You say your housemates do not mind. You've also said that you basically started doing this and then they stopped minding. So you stole from them.

I am not a violent person, I have never been violent towards anyone in my life thus far. I am also not mentally weak - I'm a strong person. I take a Hell of a lot of offense to your suggestion that you would be able to "teach" me - not if I didn't want to be taught, you wouldn't.

It's not an oxymoron. It is not theft. You seem overly defensive, usually a sign of over compensating from a fear of something. You will be fine if you just move on and not allow it to rule your life.

it is not your fault

it is not your fault

it is not your fault

it is not your fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending