The Student Room Group

do you think she's spoiled?

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, how on earth is she spoilt? How dare you make such a comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
From what she has, she does seem to be spoilt and still being "spoon fed" by her parents. I personally think that's quite shocking with how much stuff she actually has!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Yup sounds spoilt. However, nobody should resent her, instead pity her for being so sheltered and out of touch with the real world.
(edited 11 years ago)
I would say she's privileged, not spoilt.
If she bragged then I'd say she was spoilt, or if she had a hissy fit when she didn't get her own way.
Reply 5
Relatively spoilt but not irrationally so, upper middle class family.
Sour grapes for the OP.
Reply 7
You sound jealous. If her parents have the financial means and she is grateful then there isn't really a problem. Not to mention it's also quite rude to turn around to someone and call them spoiled.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
She's lucky, but I'd say spoilt indicated a certain attitude of entitlement as well.
She has a lot of stuff, certainly, but I think 'spoilt' has a lot of negative connotations, and you could have been a little more tactful if you wanted a sensible conversation out of her.

Wealth does not make people spoilt in itself. It's usually a cause, but it's peoples' thoughts and actions that make them spoilt. You say she doesn't brag, and as far as I can tell she hasn't even done anything to annoy you other than be very lucky (sorry if I'm wrong), so I would think she is more 'naive' than 'spoilt'.

She may well be spoilt, but try to think the best of her until she confirms it, and if she does so I can guarantee saying it to her face won't help either of you.
Reply 10
Original post by Lukev
If she bragged then I'd say she was spoilt, or if she had a hissy fit when she didn't get her own way.

I'd agree with this. She may be spoilt but just having things bought for you doesn't make you spoilt.

It depends on her behavior, if her parents have always said yes then she probably causes a big fuss when things dont irl. However, just because they have been free with money doesn't mean then have been with dissapline in general!
Reply 11
Why is it an issue if she doesn't brag about it?

Personally I'd say that's great for her, getting to go travelling and the funds to be able to not have to work while at uni, few get that opportunity. It doesn't paint anyone in a good light who resents others purely based on their bank account and 'things' rather than their attitude and actions.
Reply 12
Original post by Lukev

This.

Leave her alone and stop hating. It's her parent's money and it's their child so they are obviously trying to give her a comfortable life. Sounds like any normal well off young person to me, nothing extreme.
i wasn't hating by any means i just wanted to know what i was saying was a fair point to make
i didnt necessarily mean spoilt as in brags a lot i just meant as in has a lot of stuff
im not jealous i just think its a bit stupid like getting train fare paid for her even when shes an adult
Yes, you are jealous. Very very jealous.
Original post by Lukev

I think I might agree with this to some extent. her parents seem pretty well off so they have the money to spend on themselves and their child. however some of the stuff she has seems a little unnecessary.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Original post by chelsea cheese
ok before anybody asks, this isnt about me. its about my cousin who is the exact same age as me but believes she's not spoilt we were having a family discussion at the weekend and i accused of her of being spoilt. just want to make sure i haven't said anything that's untrue. what would be your opinions if you met a girl who had this?:

17 years old
no job (does occasional babysitting)
reasonably valuable car (£3-4k) with private reg name number plate
insurance paid for by parents. £800 worth of driving lessons paid for by parents.
apple macbook pro her parents (my Auntie and Uncle) paid for the majority
apple iphone on contract paid for by parents
apple tv in her bedroom
ipad and imac which are her parents' but she can use whenever
ralph lauren clothes, jumper, coat, polos etc
2 pandora bracelets full of charms, a thomas sabo bracelet and a michael kors watch, none of which she bought herself.
Always has nice clothes, converse, vans, levi jeans, blazers, timberland boots, nice coats and bags etc
salon studio GHDs
clinique and mac make up
going on two european holidays this summer with friends and staying in 4/5* hotels, she paid for with own money but from her savings
been all over the world, asia, middle east, north america etc
parents have a mercedes amg (sport thing idk) and a porsche S as well as a 4x4
going to uni in september and living at home but parents are paying for her train fare
might do a year abroad which parents will pay for

she thinks she's normal like everyone else but i tried to tell her she's quite spoilt. i think she knows she has a lot of stuff but can't see just how much. i don't mean she brags about everything she has because she doesnt and you wouldnt really know if you met her but i want her to see just how much stuff she has. would you think she was spoilt or do you think i was being unfair??

Her life shouldn't bother you, be thankyou you'll appreciate money in the future and are actually better off, it doesn't matter if she is spoilt or not is it? There's no one there to verify it and give you a reward don't stress bout it
Reply 18
She has a good life, but I have to no reason to say she's spoilt. A lot of parents with a decent income buy stuff for their children. So in that sense, she is normal, even if she has more than the average teenager.
Reply 19
Original post by chelsea cheese
im not jealous i just think its a bit stupid like getting train fare paid for her even when shes an adult

How is she supposed to pay for it if she doesnt have a job? And maybe her and her parents have decided that she should focus more on her studies rather than her have to work and take time out from studying.

My parents did a similar thing during my a levels, they gave me a certain amount of money each month so i did not have to work more than a four hour shift every week and had more time to concentrate on studying.

Anyway whatever the reason, sensible or not, get over your jealousy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending