The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanDangerously

But yes, Celtic are certainly not in favour at United the way they used to be. I wouldn't say there's an anti-Irish feeling because we have thousands of Irish fans but we're definitely against those who support or condone the IRA. Celtic have shown themselves up as terrorist sympathisers, no question about that. There's still a few at United who have some affinity for Celtic definitely but most of that has (thankfully) died out.

I remember reading somewhere that United were historically considered the Catholic club in Manchester as a lot of the Irish immigrants supported them and City were the the Protestant club. Obviously it's a massive generalisation but as someone from Manchester do you reckon there's any truth to that?

I know that old Red nose himself isn't particularly fond of rangers though despite his background as a protestant from Glasgow. He grew up a fan and played for them but apparently they got rid of him because his wife is catholic, and he (quite justifiably) has hated them ever since. Lot of the Irish in North London have an affinity with Celtic but I've never been able to warm to them because of the IRA sympathy some of their fans have, and the blatantly anti-British sentiment (booing on remembrance day etc) a lot of their supporters display.
Reply 21
Original post by Soul of Mischief
I remember reading somewhere that United were historically considered the Catholic club in Manchester as a lot of the Irish immigrants supported them and City were the the Protestant club. Obviously it's a massive generalisation but as someone from Manchester do you reckon there's any truth to that?

I know that old Red nose himself isn't particularly fond of rangers though despite his background as a protestant from Glasgow. He grew up a fan and played for them but apparently they got rid of him because his wife is catholic, and he (quite justifiably) has hated them ever since. Lot of the Irish in North London have an affinity with Celtic but I've never been able to warm to them because of the IRA sympathy some of their fans have, and the blatantly anti-British sentiment (booing on remembrance day etc) a lot of their supporters display.

Know plenty of Irish gooners in London and have never heard a peep of anti-British sentiment outside of friendly banter. Then again I'm not likely to hear too much of that in an Irish boozer on matchday full of English people. Probably very different up in Scotland as well.

The booing on remembrance day leaves a bad taste granted, but to be brutally honest I think the British army disgraced themselves in Northern Ireland so the army that English people know and love isnt necessarily the one they know. Lots of these guys probably know of innocent people gunned down on Bloody Sunday etc, but I dont think that translates into hatred of English people of anything. Not that that justifies any kind of terrorist sympathy or anything.

Dont Rangers fans glorify other paramilitary organisations who were just as bad as the IRA anyway? Always have come across as the more violent to my eyes anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Know plenty of Irish gooners in London and have never heard a peep of anti-British sentiment outside of friendly banter.

Neither. My fault for being unclear. Never heard any Pro-IRA or anti British sentiment from the Irish in London or any Irish gooners. I'm talking about SOME of their fans in scotland and actions like refusing to wear poppies and booing during the minute's silence on Remembrance day at Parkhead.

You're right about rangers as well. They're an equally dislikeable club with the sectarian chanting racism and fascist links. For Christ's sake their chant 'billy boys' is about a protestant gang led by a fascist (Billy Fullerton) who used to go around knifing Catholics. Fact that they consider themselves brothers with Chelsea's old school support ie the mugs in the headhunters and all the berks who used to peddle the national front bull at Stamford Bridge speaks for itself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Soul of Mischief
Neither. My fault for being unclear. Never heard any Pro-IRA or anti British sentiment from the Irish in London or any Irish gooners. I'm talking about SOME of their fans in scotland and actions like refusing to wear poppies and booing during the minute's silence on Remembrance day at Parkhead.

yeah true. No doubt plenty of Celtic fans are raging anti-Brits but at the same time given the history in Norther Ireland I wouldnt expect them to be madly in love with the army. I probably wouldnt be either so that's never really bothered me tbh.

Any kind of IRA support is unacceptable to me though, although tbh I've never really seen any of that from Celtic fans although i'm sure it exists. When Arsenal played Celtic in the CL a few years back they must have sang 100 songs but none were even remotely IRA connected AFAIK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
yeah true. No doubt plenty of Celtic fans are raging anti-Brits but at the same time given the history in Norther Ireland I wouldnt expect them to be madly in love with the army. I probably wouldnt be either so that's never really bothered me tbh.

Yeah probably true. I'm a quarter Indian and my (indian) grandad loves England and English people but dislikes the monarchy because he sees them as representative of the British Empire (it's a whole other debate as to whether that's justified but that's how he feels and he's too old to change his mind now!) The part I find truly reprehensible is sympathy with the pro-IRA chants which do still happen.

Then again, if I had to chose to support a team between Celtic and Rangers I would chose Celtic.
Original post by Midlander
Rangers every time. The majority of Celtic fans are plastic paddies who seem to be almost shamed that their club is based in Glasgow rather than Dublin, protest against their club selling Remembrance poppies, and support an organisation which committed terrorist attacks against their own country.

Rangers fans hold equally questionable views on the other side but are at least true to their own nationality rather than pretending to be something else.

Guess a plastic paddy couldn't handle the truth.
Original post by Zürich

Any kind of IRA support is unacceptable to me though, although tbh I've never really seen any of that from Celtic fans although i'm sure it exists. When Arsenal played Celtic in the CL a few years back they must have sang 100 songs but none were even remotely IRA connected AFAIK.

Just putting it out there, Celtic are based in Glasgow and always have been-did someone smuggle Parkhead out to Dublin in the meantime?
Original post by Wilfred Little
None, they are both disgusting clubs.

The numpties who watch matches on streams would. There's the old friendship they had years ago and the fact Man U were going to be called Manchester Celtic originally. However the real matchgoers cannot stand Celtic. There's a lot of anti-Irish in their support, partly stemming from when the IRA bombed Manchester. Add to that Celtic also have a friendship with Liverpool and sing YNWA... easy to see where the hate and conflict comes from.

Not sure if that bit about Liverpool sharing a friendship with Celtic is necessarily true. I think YNWA link is the start and end of it really.

There's certainly a lot of Irish heritage in the city of Liverpool as a whole though.
Just putting it out there, Celtic are based in Glasgow and always have been-did someone smuggle Parkhead out to Dublin in the meantime?

The same way some Rangers fans are based in Glasgow and support the UVF in Belfast?
Original post by bluenose14
The same way some Rangers fans are based in Glasgow and support the UVF in Belfast?

I don't see Rangers fans covering themselves in shamrocks worshipping those who bombed their own nation.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I don't see Rangers fans covering themselves in shamrocks worshipping those who bombed their own nation.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No, they just show their support for organisations that kill innocents on foreign soil. Rangers can't claim the moral high ground at all.
No, they just show their support for organisations that kill innocents on foreign soil. Rangers can't claim the moral high ground at all.

This isn't about the moral high ground and I haven't condoned sectarianism on either side. Fact remains that we're choosing between the lesser of two evils and I'll never understand why so many Celtic fans pretend to be Irish and positively dislike their own country. It makes no sense.

More to the point the IRA has murdered its own on its own ground as well as innocents in a foreign country.
I'd stay well away from both.

Novelty statement, but an Englishman should be supporting Berwick Rangers anyway!
(edited 6 years ago)
This isn't about the moral high ground and I haven't condoned sectarianism on either side. Fact remains that we're choosing between the lesser of two evils and I'll never understand why so many Celtic fans pretend to be Irish and positively dislike their own country. It makes no sense.

More to the point the IRA has murdered its own on its own ground as well as innocents in a foreign country.

Why are you being ignorant of the links between Ireland and Celtic? It's not hard to see why they might then hold a grudge against the British establishment. Even I can see why and I'm not Irish. It's quite shocking how many British people are ignorant of the atrocities that we've committed in various countries. It's not even just a historical thing either. It's been happening in Iraq.

Both clubs have scummy elements to their support. I wouldn't say Celtic are the lesser of two evils, the opposite if anything.

This should no way mean that they can sing songs glorifying the IRA (the provisional IRA anyway who were nothing more than murderers). Anyone who does that is a ****ing knobhead imo.
Why are you being ignorant of the links between Ireland and Celtic? It's not hard to see why they might then hold a grudge against the British establishment. Even I can see why and I'm not Irish. It's quite shocking how many British people are ignorant of the atrocities that we've committed in various countries. It's not even just a historical thing either. It's been happening in Iraq.

Both clubs have scummy elements to their support. I wouldn't say Celtic are the lesser of two evils, the opposite if anything.

This should no way mean that they can sing songs glorifying the IRA (the provisional IRA anyway who were nothing more than murderers). Anyone who does that is a ****ing knobhead imo.

The only link had is that they were founded by Irishmen. Most of the supporters are born and bred Scots but act like leprechauns hopping over the ferry from Dublin every Saturday-that is what I struggle to understand. There are clips on YT of Scottish Celtic fans abusing British soldiers at a friendly in London-it's just baffling.

I don't pretend to take pride in the suffering Imperial Britain inflicted on other nations but equally I know that we'll never get anywhere through hanging onto bitterness over past wrongdoings. Modern Germany is an excellent example. However-Celtic fans in Glasgow aren't Irish but act like they are; I don't get it.
Well Celtic hate the English so I just return the favour.

Same goes for the Welsh.
Reply 36
I have to say, I'm finding some of what you guys say to be astonishing. There is a severe lack of passion in English football, from the very bottom right to the top. English football is quite simply a very successful business, it's incredibly well financed, well run and well supported by its vast and well populated nation. Give Rangers or Celtic the same opportunities, financially, then I could only imagine the impact they'd have on European football. I'd imagine for example that there fans would not except have a 'good run' in the champions league, in fact they'd expect them to win the champions league, year in year out. Two massively supported clubs with the budgets and competition of the EPL, my god it would be scary. You only have to go back to the 80's, when at least 7 of England's national starting 11 played for Rangers. Why did these players choose to play in Scotland?. Why did they choose to play for rangers?. And what was there opinion of playing for rangers?. Have a look for yourself, I think you'd be surprised. Now the gap is huge between north and south of the border, but only financially, the passion for football is still at home north of the border. I think personally we could learn a lot from them, problem is were so scared to stop this financial rollacoaster that were on.
Cowdenbeath 4 lyf!
Original post by mcleom03
I have to say, I'm finding some of what you guys say to be astonishing. There is a severe lack of passion in English football, from the very bottom right to the top. English football is quite simply a very successful business, it's incredibly well financed, well run and well supported by its vast and well populated nation. Give Rangers or Celtic the same opportunities, financially, then I could only imagine the impact they'd have on European football. I'd imagine for example that there fans would not except have a 'good run' in the champions league, in fact they'd expect them to win the champions league, year in year out. Two massively supported clubs with the budgets and competition of the EPL, my god it would be scary. You only have to go back to the 80's, when at least 7 of England's national starting 11 played for Rangers. Why did these players choose to play in Scotland?. Why did they choose to play for rangers?. And what was there opinion of playing for rangers?. Have a look for yourself, I think you'd be surprised. Now the gap is huge between north and south of the border, but only financially, the passion for football is still at home north of the border. I think personally we could learn a lot from them, problem is were so scared to stop this financial rollacoaster that were on.

The passion in English football is still very much there, you just need to look beyond the Premier League
Reply 39
Original post by mcleom03

Yeah, we don't already have any of them...

English clubs do well in the CL in cycles, at the moment they're at their worst in a long time but they'll come back. There's no reason to think Scottish clubs would do any better if they were in the PL

Latest