The Student Room Group

Anyone apply for Nursing 2014

I am apply for Nursing ,SO EXCITED X:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I don't get in this year I will be, still waiting to hear back from 2 of my choices.

Which branch are you applying for?
Reply 2
Hi! I don't want to come across as being totally stupid but how/where did you apply for the January starts. I've applied for midwifery for September this year but im starting to think my chances are looking pretty slim at getting in. I know i have all i need & more for nursing though. Am i too late to apply for the january starts? i've googled it and literally can't find anything on it! I've had a look at UCAS Extra but thats a whole different kettle of fish haha! If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!
Reply 3
Original post by JemaHowie
Hi! I don't want to come across as being totally stupid but how/where did you apply for the January starts. I've applied for midwifery for September this year but im starting to think my chances are looking pretty slim at getting in. I know i have all i need & more for nursing though. Am i too late to apply for the january starts? i've googled it and literally can't find anything on it! I've had a look at UCAS Extra but thats a whole different kettle of fish haha! If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

As far as I'm aware if you're applying for the January intake it goes on the same UCAS from as you would fill out for September, so in order to apply for next Jan you would need to wait for UCAS to open later this year. I could be wrong though, you might be best contacting UCAS or the Uni's directly and see what they say.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotsroo
As far as I'm aware if you're applying for the January intake it goes on the same UCAS from as you would fill out for September, so in order to apply for next Jan you would need to wait for UCAS to open later this year. I could be wrong though, you might be best contacting UCAS or the Uni's directly and see what they say.

Thankyou very much, think I'll wait till I get any of my offers back cause I'm still waiting to hear back from two. after that I'll probably arrange a wee visit to the uni's & talk to someone. which branch of nursing are you applying for?
thanks again!
Reply 5
Thankyou very much, think I'll wait till I get any of my offers back cause I'm still waiting to hear back from two. after that I'll probably arrange a wee visit to the uni's & talk to someone. which branch of nursing are you applying for?
thanks again!

Yeah you're probably best to speak to them as they'll definitely know what the story is. I've applied for Child but I'm kind of thinking I should have gone Mental Health, how about you?
Reply 6
I am apply for Adult Nursing! what university are you apply for or thinking to apply???? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jemiloju
I am apply for Adult Nursing! what university are you apply for or thinking to apply???? :smile:

Next year I think I'll apply for Dundee, Edinburgh Napier, Queens Belfast, Stirling (Highland campus) & I'm undecided on my 5th yet. How about you?
Reply 8
Original post by jemiloju

I'm torn between adult & child nursing, my career path to date is in Childcare so I'm not sure :smile:
Reply 9
Next year I think I'll apply for Dundee, Edinburgh Napier, Queens Belfast, Stirling (Highland campus) & I'm undecided on my 5th yet. How about you?

I am thinking about Hertfordshire,King's College,London South Bank, and I am not too sure about the rest. I am also apply for next year entry x
Reply 10
only thing I'm struggling with is that I only have a standard grade biology.
i have an SVQ, HNC, 3 Highers, 8 standard grades & an intermediate 2. but I've got a funny feeling that I'm going to have to do higher Biology for the next year before I do anything :frown: any thoughts?
I'm applying for Nursing in 2014.

I haven't put my application in yet as I am going to apply next year rather than apply this year and try to defer, I just finishing off a degree in Youth Studies a NTU at the minute so I will be a mature student and I'm hoping to fast track as I will be a graduate entrant.

What unis are you all applying to and what experience/ qualifications do you have?
Reply 12
only thing I'm struggling with is that I only have a standard grade biology.
i have an SVQ, HNC, 3 Highers, 8 standard grades & an intermediate 2. but I've got a funny feeling that I'm going to have to do higher Biology for the next year before I do anything :frown: any thoughts?

I have a feeling that your science subject only has to be at standard grade so you should be ok, probably best to double check the entry requirements for each Uni you want to apply for though.
Reply 13
Original post by girl_nxt_door
I'm applying for Nursing in 2014.

I haven't put my application in yet as I am going to apply next year rather than apply this year and try to defer, I just finishing off a degree in Youth Studies a NTU at the minute so I will be a mature student and I'm hoping to fast track as I will be a graduate entrant.

What unis are you all applying to and what experience/ qualifications do you have?

Hey, I'll be a mature student as well. I currently work in Social Care and have done for 2 years, I've also done various voluntary stuff. I have a few qualifications from high school which are enough to get me into some Universities but I also have an SVQ in Health and Social Care and I'm going to College this year to do HNC Healthcare which will hopefully get me into 2nd year of my degree or 1st. I want to do Mental Health nursing and I think I'll be applying to Dundee, LJMU, QUB, Stirling (Highland Campus) & Edinburgh Napier.

Hey, I'll be a mature student as well. I currently work in Social Care and have done for 2 years, I've also done various voluntary stuff. I have a few qualifications from high school which are enough to get me into some Universities but I also have an SVQ in Health and Social Care and I'm going to College this year to do HNC Healthcare which will hopefully get me into 2nd year of my degree or 1st. I want to do Mental Health nursing and I think I'll be applying to Dundee, LJMU, QUB, Stirling (Highland Campus) & Edinburgh Napier.

Hiya,

I am applying for Adult Nursing, Strange I know when I'm studying youth studies but I actually study the 13-25 age bracket at the moment so it crosses adult and child.

I am just finishing off a degree which i hope to get a 2:1 in, I also have a few A-levels and As-levels but not the right subjects for nursing so I'm hoping I will be able to get considered as a mature student based on my experience and current degree.

I have a mixture of things that make up my experience
- worked as a support worker within a disabled adults residential unit for a year.
- I worked as a community care assistant for 5 months working with disabled, complex needs, end of life and elderly people.
- I volunteered on a ward in my local hospital as a meal time assistant
- I was on the committee for my university's branch of Nightline
- I am just about to start work as a Healthcare Assistant in a hospital and when I apply I will have been doing that full time for around 8 months.

I'm hoping this mix of stuff will make up for my degree not being science based :smile:

I'm also hoping to be finished in 2 years but I'm hoping to fast track rather than just go onto my second year. The uni's I want to apply to don't really allow people straight onto the second year but they do do a graduate fast track thing where they squash 3 years into 2 :smile:

I'm applying for Birmingham City Uni and Coventry. There the only 2 I can consider because of where I will need to be living.
Hey :smile: I'll be applying for the September '14 intake as a mature student. I'm going to be applying to study Mental Health Nursing & my choices are going to be Cardiff, Edinburgh Napier, UWE, Southampton, and Manchester(in that order). I'm starting an access course this September, and i'm also starting a volunteer job at an Acute Psychiatric unit in a few weeks - so hopefully i'll have a decent amount of experience & insight! I've also spent some time in an APU in the past, so i'll have the experience and views from the patient's perspective! hahaha. Fingers crossed, eh.

Good luck to you all
:biggrin:
I'm applying for adult nursing 2014 :smile: applying to Queens, Uni of Ulster, LJMU and UWE thru ucas and going to apply to Uni of Limerick, Dublin City, Trinity college and university college Dublin thru CAO when it opens! Does anybody know at what age you are classed as a mature student? I'm 23 and been working in social care since I was 18, CAO say 23 but haven't managed to find a definitive answer anywhere else? Lol
does anybody know if it matters what uni you go to to study nursing? I don't want to go somewhere that is considered horrible
Reply 18
Original post by precious2013
does anybody know if it matters what uni you go to to study nursing? I don't want to go somewhere that is considered horrible

depends I know what mmu and Salford are like and Birmingham city depends where your most closest too or if you want to move for a better uni?
Original post by Eroyle6
depends I know what mmu and Salford are like and Birmingham city depends where your most closest too or if you want to move for a better uni?

I want to move out of London, so Birmingham or leiceister and surrounding areas. that's why I wondered if it mattered which nursing school I went to, I don't want to graduate and find it hard to get a job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending