The Student Room Group

Do you eat your housemates food?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by McHumpy92
I tell them after I have ate it that I took it...it's not like I do it sneakily.

Also another thing I have noticed with houseshares is that loads of food gets wasted because a whole loaf is generally too much for one person, a bunch of bananas or pack of apples etc...so much food gets wasted. That is why I also do it as well because they generally just chuck it away.

tbh you would get used to it, I always get people to my way of thinking...you'd just be angry because you're socially conditioned to think you should be angry, once I got rid of your social conditioning you would become a more relaxed and sharing person.

The girls I live with will spend £100+ on shoes without a second thought....why would they suddenly cry that I have took a piece of bread from an 80p loaf? Only answer is social conditioning and *******s such as 'it is the principle of the matter'....which is generally an excuse to act like a child without actually any thought about the fact of the matter.

Yes it is the principle that matters. Whether you steal 1 p from someone or all of their money, it's not yours to take unless they give you permission. I would hate to live with someone who doesn't respect my property.
Original post by SyOnGuitar
And that (bold) would probably apply to many other things, quite frankly. But really, how is taking other people's things without asking not rude? I suppose this means you wouldn't find it rude if I just randomly took something of yours to use or took some food of yours to eat? What is so wrong with asking? It's a lack of common courtesy that is obviously affecting a lot of people. As I said... I don't mind sharing... if people ask? But if people take things like they have a right to then yeah, it is annoying and in my opinion rude. Not only my opinion, but the opinion of many others whom have also posted in the thread.

I don't treat strangers worse than I would treat friends. I treat most of those that I come across with respect. It isn't a friend that I treat better than a stranger nor vice versa. I would probably treat a dickhead worse than someone who was kind and respectful towards me though. The problem isn't that I treat strangers worse than I treat my friends, the problem is that I'm less "open" and comfortable for strangers to be using my things without asking.

Must see what is not overly logical or rational behaviour? That taking peoples things without asking and getting annoyed over it is not rational nor logical? No, I don't see why it is irrational or illogical.

If I lived with you and it wasn't a one-way thing (the crucial caveat - most people are acting as if 1 person is just free-loading off the other) then no I wouldn't think it's rude. When friends are staying at mine I don't insist they ask permission for everything they do/take as I know they'd equally share their stuff if I was at theirs.

It's irrelevant if it's an opinion "many others" have - it's still an opinion, and majority doesn't equal right. As you want to bring in other opinions, other people in this thread have commented that this is completely normal behaviour in other countries.

I don't recall ever stating that everyone should be doing this with complete strangers, merely that those acting as if it's some kind of crazy concept are overreacting.
Original post by callum9999
If I lived with you and it wasn't a one-way thing (the crucial caveat - most people are acting as if 1 person is just free-loading off the other) then no I wouldn't think it's rude. When friends are staying at mine I don't insist they ask permission for everything they do/take as I know they'd equally share their stuff if I was at theirs.

It's irrelevant if it's an opinion "many others" have - it's still an opinion, and majority doesn't equal right. As you want to bring in other opinions, other people in this thread have commented that this is completely normal behaviour in other countries.

I don't recall ever stating that everyone should be doing this with complete strangers, merely that those acting as if it's some kind of crazy concept are overreacting.

If you think me thinking that it's rude is just my opinion then I think I can say you thinking that it's not rude is merely an opinion also. Oh... and also, again, if it is just my opinion then please, respect the fact I have a right to an opinion and if you think I'm overreacting then fair enough but to state that it is some sort of overreaction would also just be your opinion.

No, I never said majority equals right, only an idiot would think so. And perhaps no you didn't state that everyone should be doing this with complete strangers but as you can see I was clearly referring to how I would feel if strangers took my things without asking :rolleyes:. Like I said, I am less comfortable with it, and again, in my opinion, it is rude. Fair enough if you don't think so but I do, and you can't expect everybody to be the same about everything. If you're going to take someone's food, don't take mine because there's absolutely no way I would ever take anybody's food without asking, and even then it would be rare I ever asked because I'm not the type of person to do so.

And again, I'd like to refer to the common courtesy of asking? Lack of common courtesy equals rudeness, no? Or is that just me.
Reply 143
I do quite regular! Luckily I get on with them well and they laugh it off. I wouldn't eat a main piece like expensive meat...but definitely bread, milk, fruit, salad if I fancy it. Would this bother you? If so why?

I think I am going to get a housemate eventually that will hate me doing it...should be interesting.

btw I am pretty easy going with my food as well.

If they don't ask I get very annoyed. I get more annoyed if one of their guests take the food and say it's not their fault because it wasn't them. Last time, one of the flatmates guests took one of my J2o's, just one. I called security and reported the flatmate for stealing. I also wrote to the management of the hall the same day. I didn't report the guest because as far as I'm concerned it's the flatmates responsibility to make sure their guests are in order; I don't know who the guest is, I only know him, so I go by that rhetoric.
Reply 144
Original post by conway!
This is exactly my issue. Some weeks I'm so skint that it's literally "Monday: cup of oats in the morning, 2 slices bread, 1 slice of cheese for lunch, 40g pasta and half a jar of sauce for dinner, orange juice" Tuesday similar etc, it means if someone thinks I won't miss 2 slices of bread - I really will, cause then I'll have no lunch one day! If OP is being serious (but with some of the things he is saying, I sort of doubt it though) I'm guessing he must be rich or at least fairly well off. It's hard to argue with someone that doesn't seem to believe in principles (or calls people sheep if they disagree with him :tongue:), or the idea of possessing your own things.

Exactly! I was so broke first time I was at uni that some days literally all I ate was a packet of instant noodles, tea, and a satsuma. I don't even get the OP to be honest, I think he has to be trolling, either that or seriously mentally damaged.
I'd always ask first, and then replace it the next day. I go shopping every Monday and get exactly what I need to last me until the following Monday so It's rare that I ever need to borrow food.
Reply 146
Original post by effie.w
Exactly! I was so broke first time I was at uni that some days literally all I ate was a packet of instant noodles, tea, and a satsuma. I don't even get the OP to be honest, I think he has to be trolling, either that or seriously mentally damaged.

I am 1,000,000% not lying. My housemates aren't poor, they have jobs and loads of disposable income.
To be honest, as long as you promise to replace it, and you ask first, they shouldn't mind. But I wouldn't just take, and not on a regular basis
Reply 148
I do quite regular! Luckily I get on with them well and they laugh it off. I wouldn't eat a main piece like expensive meat...but definitely bread, milk, fruit, salad if I fancy it. Would this bother you? If so why?

I think I am going to get a housemate eventually that will hate me doing it...should be interesting.

btw I am pretty easy going with my food as well.

You sound horrible. The most I have taken without having definite permission was an onion, because there are 5 of us, I had none and 1 guy doesn't like onions. Which meant the 20 or so onions in the fridge belonged to 3 people, 1 of whom didn't even know if they were his so said I may as well have it.

I am perfectly happy for people to use my herbs and spices, because it's pointless everyone having their own spice rack. But I get annoyed when all my salt is used and nobody thinks to replace it or tell me so that I can replace it for when I next need it! My house also has a communal milk policy, and we're pretty much fine with giving each other items of fruit/veg and bread if someone is short, but only because we ask.

I would never, ever assume that it's fine for me to help myself to other people's food simply because it's not that expensive or going to go off soon. That's horrible
I guess the problem we all have with it is that we all have slightly different rules about taking food but we don't really talk about it before hand. If, when we moved in, we actually asked each other how we felt about it we probably wouldn't get in fights about it later on.

"Oh btw, we used to share food in my old house. Is it ok with you if I take some of yours if I run out of something?"
"I don't know. In my old house we all had our own stuff and I'm not used to sharing"
"Well I could just tell you beforehand if I need to borrow anything. You can borrow some of my stuff too if you run out, so we keep it equal."
"OK, that sounds better. Thanks."

30 second conversation solves hours of griping on TSR. Amazing!
Reply 150
Original post by Katie_p
You sound horrible. The most I have taken without having definite permission was an onion, because there are 5 of us, I had none and 1 guy doesn't like onions. Which meant the 20 or so onions in the fridge belonged to 3 people, 1 of whom didn't even know if they were his so said I may as well have it.

I am perfectly happy for people to use my herbs and spices, because it's pointless everyone having their own spice rack. But I get annoyed when all my salt is used and nobody thinks to replace it or tell me so that I can replace it for when I next need it! My house also has a communal milk policy, and we're pretty much fine with giving each other items of fruit/veg and bread if someone is short, but only because we ask.

I would never, ever assume that it's fine for me to help myself to other people's food simply because it's not that expensive or going to go off soon. That's horrible

I am nice guy....you're a horrid person because you think you're doing wrong by taking food that is going to be wasted without asking, you just choose to marginalise it, which females seem great at doing.
I think that's only acceptable if you all put an equal amount of money into a shopping budget and then buy all the food together...

Unless you give them some money for the food, I wouldn't blame them for hurting you.
only if there's so much of the thing left that the theft will stay under the radar
Reply 153
The agreement is that I live with them, I don't expect them to be socially retarded so I don't expect them to flip their lid if I take a piece of bread. I also walk in their rooms when they're not there as well if I need something. Well apart from the weird ones that lock their door every time they leave.

LOL best troll.
Reply 154
Original post by Nunu Bot
LOL best troll.

I actually don't ever lock my door...I have gone for a week and not locked my door. In that time my housemates watched my blu-rays in my room or lent money off my desk like pound coins for washing machine or bus. My other housemate was the same. Why is it so hard for people to be nice and not be angry at everything because they're told to be angry by society.

Actually, currently I haven't got a room key, the previous tenant never returned it and I told the landlord not to bother because I never lock my door and he said fine. In my room I have a laptop, a PC, PS3, 3D Plasma TV, amp and sound system....plus cash and nothing has been stolen and I don't exactly worry about it. People need to chill out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 155
I am nice guy....you're a horrid person because you think you're doing wrong by taking food that is going to be wasted without asking, you just choose to marginalise it, which females seem great at doing.

I don't think it's wrong if it's definitely going to be wasted AND that person doesn't mind.
But my housemates would mind and definitely wouldn't much more than a few vegetables that would be wasted. Saying it would be wasted otherwise is just an excuse for your atrocious behaviour
Reply 156
I actually don't ever lock my door...I have gone for a week and not locked my door. In that time my housemates watched my blu-rays in my room or lent money off my desk like pound coins for washing machine or bus. My other housemate was the same. Why is it so hard for people to be nice and not be angry at everything because they're told to be angry by society.

Actually, currently I haven't got a room key, the previous tenant never returned it and I told the landlord not to bother because I never lock my door and he said fine. In my room I have a laptop, a PC, PS3, 3D Plasma TV, amp and sound system....plus cash and nothing has been stolen and I don't exactly worry about it. People need to chill out.

Not when you have housemates like mine. I live with 5 other people in my flat (first year) right - 2 of them are absolute thieves. On 5 occasions we've had instances of food and drink theft. We have had to call security on them many times. No, this wasn't the odd slice of bread. They would steal anything whenever they please. When their guests came over for predrinks, they would take any alcohol they fancied from the fridge. Do you pass that off as typical student behaviour too?

My philosophy is, at the end of the day, I do not go to the shop to buy food for other people to eat.

In all fairness, you don't sound that bad, at least you tell people that you've taken something. My thieving flatmates tell me jack; when i ask them about it, they blame it on their guests.

Original post by Katie_p
Saying it would be wasted otherwise is just an excuse for your atrocious behaviour

I agree that "Oh well it would have gone to waste if I didn't use it" is an excuse that can be abused. Whether or not it gets abused in McHumpy92's flat is a different question. Perhaps they have a different agreement/dynamic between them where they can tolerate food sharing to an extent.

Original post by FlyingTeapot
I guess the problem we all have with it is that we all have slightly different rules about taking food but we don't really talk about it before hand. If, when we moved in, we actually asked each other how we felt about it we probably wouldn't get in fights about it later on.

Not true necessarily, we had several meetings about our flat at the start of the academic year and we still managed to have a problem with food theft and "borrowing without asking". I guess if you're stuck with certain types of people, there will always be problems.
(edited 11 years ago)

Well that makes it (slightly) better then. But I'd still ask
Reply 158
If you ask, I'll give you food. Unless its like something I specifically bought for myself, I'm totally happy to share.
But if you take it without asking, I will probably be annoyed. (Unless its something stupid like bread or salt or fruit)
and I hope my housemates will do the same for me.
tbh you would get used to it, I always get people to my way of thinking...

I wear them down to become care free, only person I haven't been able to crack is my dad, everyone else is fairly easy to crack....

Your thread is funny but if someone repeatedly stole from me and tried to manipulate me I would actually punch them and I'm not even a violent person. That is actually taking the piss. If you're being serious one day you'll do it to the wrong person and learn the hard way stealing is unacceptable behaviour.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest