The Student Room Group

do you think she's spoiled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelsea cheese
I can message a couple of people her instagram but only if it can be sworn that it doesn't get passed around or she doesn't get told because i don't want her finding out I've said this if people think I've been unfair because it will make me feel bad and could upset her and cause trouble which is not what i
Meant for

You're defeated, admit it.

Yes lol anyone will be jealous but to show your jealousy is real weakness....If my cousin was Bill Gate's son I would really boast about it myself not be jealous about it....unless of course the cousin has built a fortress around.

:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok before anybody asks, this isnt about me. its about my cousin who is the exact same age as me but believes she's not spoilt we were having a family discussion at the weekend and i accused of her of being spoilt. just want to make sure i haven't said anything that's untrue. what would be your opinions if you met a girl who had this?:

17 years old
no job (does occasional babysitting)
reasonably valuable car (£3-4k) with private reg name number plate
insurance paid for by parents. £800 worth of driving lessons paid for by parents.
apple macbook pro her parents (my Auntie and Uncle) paid for the majority
apple iphone on contract paid for by parents
apple tv in her bedroom
ipad and imac which are her parents' but she can use whenever
ralph lauren clothes, jumper, coat, polos etc
2 pandora bracelets full of charms, a thomas sabo bracelet and a michael kors watch, none of which she bought herself.
Always has nice clothes, converse, vans, levi jeans, blazers, timberland boots, nice coats and bags etc
salon studio GHDs
clinique and mac make up
going on two european holidays this summer with friends and staying in 4/5* hotels, she paid for with own money but from her savings
been all over the world, asia, middle east, north america etc
parents have a mercedes amg (sport thing idk) and a porsche S as well as a 4x4
going to uni in september and living at home but parents are paying for her train fare
might do a year abroad which parents will pay for

she thinks she's normal like everyone else but i tried to tell her she's quite spoilt. i think she knows she has a lot of stuff but can't see just how much. i don't mean she brags about everything she has because she doesnt and you wouldnt really know if you met her but i want her to see just how much stuff she has. would you think she was spoilt or do you think i was being unfair??

There's a difference between being spoilt and lucky. If she is obnoxious or refusing to share her good fortune with others then she would be acting spoilt.
(edited 11 years ago)
ok before anybody asks, this isnt about me. its about my cousin who is the exact same age as me but believes she's not spoilt we were having a family discussion at the weekend and i accused of her of being spoilt. just want to make sure i haven't said anything that's untrue. what would be your opinions if you met a girl who had this?:

17 years old
insurance paid for by parents. £800 worth of driving lessons paid for by parents.
apple tv in her bedroom
2 pandora bracelets full of charms, a thomas sabo bracelet and a michael kors watch, none of which she bought herself.
Always has nice clothes, converse, vans, levi jeans, blazers, timberland boots, nice coats and bags etc
salon studio GHDs
clinique and mac make up
going on two european holidays this summer with friends and staying in 4/5* hotels, she paid for with own money but from her savings
going to uni in september and living at home but parents are paying for her train fare

she thinks she's normal like everyone else but i tried to tell her she's quite spoilt. i think she knows she has a lot of stuff but can't see just how much. i don't mean she brags about everything she has because she doesnt and you wouldnt really know if you met her but i want her to see just how much stuff she has. would you think she was spoilt or do you think i was being unfair??

Btw it's spoilt not "spoiled", she's not food that's gone off.
I agree, and seeing as she's 17, why would her parents not want to provide nice things for her, I would want my child to be happy.

I think if she was say 22 and still getting things paid for by her parents, then that would be a cause for concern.

On another note, I would personally give my children a set amount money as they get older and allow them to spend as they wish, but not give them money if run out too quickly, I just think this is a good exercise to teach money management. I know this is off topic but just a random idea I had haha. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kk_15
Btw it's spoilt not "spoiled", she's not food that's gone off.

I believe 'spoiled' is the US spelling, it seems to be quite widely used here now.
Original post by cake_lover

I think if she was say 22 and still getting things paid for by her parents, then that would be a cause for concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might think so, but in the real world, lots of 20-somethings from comfortable backgrounds get lots of things paid for by their parents. Especially as jobs are harder to find at present.
If her parents have money and want to spend it on her, nothing wrong with that. Their choice.
The fact that she does a bit of babysitting and has saved up for stuff herself says she's not really spoiled. She's lucky and comes from a well off family. Wouldn't any parent give their child the best they could afford? So long as a work ethic, respect and value are taught too.
I wouldn't call her spoilt. Spoilt implies that parents have ruined their child's attitude to the world by the abundance they offer and this has induced a lazy, expects everything for nothing attitude, that thinks their life is normal not privalaged. Why does it matter to you the amount of stuff she has I mean you just sound jealous that she has more stuff. Pretty materilaistic attitude if you ask me
you make it sound like it's her fault...it's her parents giving her all this stuff and teaching her that she doesnt have to work for it.
Original post by cake_lover

On another note, I would personally give my children a set amount money as they get older and allow them to spend as they wish, but not give them money if run out too quickly, I just think this is a good exercise to teach money management. I know this is off topic but just a random idea I had haha. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mum used to give us "wages", she wouldn't ask us to do anything but at the end of the month we'd get a "pay pack" listing all the things we'd done by ourselves (housework etc) and their money's worth...we also got our pay docked if we did something wrong...seemed to work for us :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by kk_15
There's a difference between being spoilt and lucky. If she is obnoxious or refusing to share her good fortune with others then she would be acting spoilt.

Why should she have to share her "good fortune" with others?
Original post by Iron Lady
Why should she have to share her "good fortune" with others?

Offends your libertarian impulses when people speak of altruism, does it not? :eek:

17 years old
apple tv in her bedroom
salon studio GHDs
clinique and mac make up

Have you considered that her parents may just have a high level of disposable income and can afford to give her all of that?
If she's not a little terror then maybe she deserves that attention and fuss if they can afford it
Me thinks you are maybe a little jealous? Thoughts on that?
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
Have you considered that her parents may just have a high level of disposable income and can afford to give her all of that?
If she's not a little terror then maybe she deserves that attention and fuss if they can afford it
Me thinks you are maybe a little jealous? Thoughts on that?

The main thing that sticks out about that list for me is that her parents haven't purchased an iPad for her - to me, that sounds horribly deprived, I simply don't know how she can cope.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The main thing that sticks out about that list for me is that her parents haven't purchased an iPad for her - to me, that sounds horribly deprived, I simply don't know how she can cope.

Haha!
And this is what I am getting at!
If she was that spoiled surely that would have been thrown into the occasion as well but no!
I'm sure if she was truly "spoiled" then she could have stomped her foot and thrown her teddy around and got one? So why not? Cause she's not spoiled :smile:
If her parents choose to give her all this stuff that is up to them, not you. I'm sure one day if you have a good job and children whom you love you will also want them to have the best. I'm sure many parents would LIKE to give their children these things if they could easily afford to do so. Also, remember there is always someone better off than you and equally always someone worse off. You do not benefit by moaning that someone else is spoilt, in fact you end up looking bitter and jealous. Be grateful for what you have and maybe use the way she has been brought up as motivation to work harder and get a good job so that you can afford to give your children things if you want to. 'Spoilt' is an attitude anyway, some people who are wealthy are very modest about it and so wouldn't be called spoilt. It depends how your cousin acts, e.g. if she breaks things or is careless knowing that she will get a replacement, or brags openly about all her stuff.
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
Haha!
And this is what I am getting at!
If she was that spoiled surely that would have been thrown into the occasion as well but no!
I'm sure if she was truly "spoiled" then she could have stomped her foot and thrown her teddy around and got one? So why not? Cause she's not spoiled :smile:

I still like my bear. :teehee: Don't know if that makes me 'spoilt', but as I see nothing particularly wrong with being at least somewhat spoilt, then I kind of hope so, even if it's just that I still have my bear.
Reply 78
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Offends your libertarian impulses when people speak of altruism, does it not? :eek:

Quite. :wink:

It should be voluntary, not compulsory, and you should not be made to feel bad for not complying.
Reply 79
spoilt would be " i want xyz get it for me NOW.". And getting it.
To me she sounds like she has a very well off family and is just lucky. They want her to have the " best" stuff around and that's what she's got. Her parents obviously support her in gap years and driving etc.
So, no. I don't think she's spoilt. Not saying it's right for her to brag about it, but no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending