The Student Room Group

Querying an unsuccessful decision

Apologies if there's been a similar thread, I did search. Basically, I emailed all unis I liked the look of last July to ask whether my OU credits would be alright to gain entry, and Surrey said yes, I had the necessary credits and recommended applying. However, yesterday I received a rejection and the reason was that the combination of qualifications did not meet the entry criteria. I'm so confused and want to email them and ask about it, is that wise? How would I word it? Thanks for any help guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alidotsmith
Apologies if there's been a similar thread, I did search. Basically, I emailed all unis I liked the look of last July to ask whether my OU credits would be alright to gain entry, and Surrey said yes, I had the necessary credits and recommended applying. However, yesterday I received a rejection and the reason was that the combination of qualifications did not meet the entry criteria. I'm so confused and want to email them and ask about it, is that wise? How would I word it? Thanks for any help guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By all means email them and just ask for some in depth feedback.

Highlight the fact that you enquired pre-application about the entry requirements and the response you received welcomed your application.

It may be an oversight, I don't wish to build false hope, but errors do occur and they can be overturned.

You will lose nothing by emailing, or by ringing and speaking to admissions.
Reply 2
Ahhh thanks :smile: I was worried about seeming a bit petulant lol. I've just asked for feedback and said about enquiring last year. Bit rubbish if what they've said is the case though, wasted choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh thanks :smile: I was worried about seeming a bit petulant lol. I've just asked for feedback and said about enquiring last year. Bit rubbish if what they've said is the case though, wasted choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course was it if you don't mind me asking?

What it could possibly be, is that you didn't meet other entry requirements such as GCSE English or Maths possibly?
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

All you really need to say is what you've said here. Something like:

Dear Fred,

I applied for X course and my UCAS number is 2. I recently received a rejection for this and am very upset :frown: When I asked for feedback, I was told that my qualifications were not sufficient - hover, last July I enquired if my qualifications were acceptable and received a reply from George saying that they would be.

Would it be possible to gain clairfication on this, as I really would love to do this course.

Lots of love,

Alidot

However, it could just be that last July the course was undersubscribed and therefore they could be more lenient with entry requirements. It could even be that they have simply increased the requirements - unis sometimes do this - so last year your qualifications were good enough and this year they're not.
Reply 5
Original post by ExWunderkind
What course was it if you don't mind me asking?

What it could possibly be, is that you didn't meet other entry requirements such as GCSE English or Maths possibly?

The course was BSc Physics with Astronomy. I got A for GCSE maths and B for GCSE English so no trouble there.

Good point about raising entry requirements. I know that last year they had a large increase in apps on the previous year, and that this year it's actually increased again. Still, I thought maybe getting 93% in my majorly weighted OU science course and 90%+ in maths assignments so far might've counted for something. :frown:
The course was BSc Physics with Astronomy. I got A for GCSE maths and B for GCSE English so no trouble there.

Good point about raising entry requirements. I know that last year they had a large increase in apps on the previous year, and that this year it's actually increased again. Still, I thought maybe getting 93% in my majorly weighted OU science course and 90%+ in maths assignments so far might've counted for something. :frown:

Just have to wait for their reply I'm afraid; I really feel for you though, especially if they were your firm.

Good luck, I hope it was an oversight and it gets overturned!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending