The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Willbean
Destroyed my family really. Dad turned into an alcoholic then got caught speed driving, have real bad arguments that sometimes turn physical and now rarely speak to my mum.

I swear my dad turned to self harm as well at some point, caught him smacking his head on the wall. It sounds funny but there was blood all over his head.

Due to family issues, my dad is now a miserable old bastard who drags you down, sister lives with her friends and rarely comes back and my relationship with my family is very little.

I know we will lose the house in 6 years, we are still in debt of about 20k still etc. The debt was 30k I think and the extra 5k was from a loan due to having bailiffs threatening to come round at some point.

Again, gambling is not worth it.

i cant say i know how you feel because i dont, but thats just horrible :frown:.
Original post by tsnake23
Yes, it says 'Lost money gambling'. OP has not mentioned anything about his religious beliefs, and you are posting on a predominantly UK based forum which is mostly a secular country. Religion does not need to be brought into the debate - however since it now has been I am free to criticise why religion should not be a factor to consider regarding the choice of whether to gamble.

That's because you live in a part of the world where Islam is by far the majority religion and promoted by the state. You may think you have freedom of choice to believe in Islam. In reality there's massive bias towards choosing it because you have been taught an Islamic education from an early age and it is normal in your family.

Similarly if you get brought up in a conservative Jewish society and attend a Jewish school, you will learn the ways of Judaism from an early age and learn to accept them. The odds are that when your older you will continue to follow the religion that you have been brought up with.

This is effectively brainwashing - you are not able to make an unbiased choice of your religious beliefs. You will be far more likely to believe the teachings which you were brought up with.

I do not believe in Islam because I have been brought up in a secular society with real freedom of religious choice. This is partially due to the fact most western media publications are secular and write without bias to certain religions and state control. They are free to criticise Islam as well as Christianity, Atheism and any other beliefs.

Hilarious, you do know that certain large sporting invents are held in certain muslim countries such as Dubai, e.g. large and important horse racing meetings etc.....I doubt they sit there pony watching, they just gamble overseas......ISLAM is just hidden gambling....look what there talking about now to bring a league similar to the champions league.....Again I doubt rich Sheiks are going to sit there watching a pretty boy Cristiano Ronaldo, do step overs, there going to punt overseas......
Original post by SloaneRanger
Love your logic, thats what im talking about! You have to think out of the box and analyse someones flaws and it might not necessarily be ethical.

if anyone thinks i am bsing, i have been banned from 3 of my local bookies for making money against their company policy
Original post by martin jol
well that settles it. you're a complete joke.

hardly any of the bets you've placed are on underdogs at all. you get decent value by betting that the underdog will hold on after getting the lead (mostly)

good luck but its hardly groundbreaking and definitely not long shot underdogs.

So southampton, everton and fulham are not the underdogs in that context?

yeah...right.

Southampton when they were playing against liverpool, Suarez had some decent chances, and could have easily equalised in the first half.

Defoe had a great chance in the second half to equalise after a Gareth bale cross - but the defence was well organised.

I take it you didnt watch the games and betted blindly :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by martin jol
well that settles it. you're a complete joke.

hardly any of the bets you've placed are on underdogs at all. you get decent value by betting that the underdog will hold on after getting the lead (mostly)

good luck but its hardly groundbreaking and definitely not long shot underdogs.

At least he isn't a reckless gambler, he is structured to some extent in his stakes compared to some people who put multiple £1/5 accumulators every week expecting them to win.
Original post by Dukeofwembley
if anyone thinks i am bsing, i have been banned from 3 of my local bookies for making money against their company policy

Yeah, not surprised they "monitor" customers.....best thing is to send in friends "i.e. runners".... or just to move around shops......befriend staff into not slip counting you etc :colondollar:
Original post by Dukeofwembley
THE ONLY WAY U CAN MAKE MONEY FROM A BOOKIE IS THROUGH "CREATIVE tHINKING"

Trust me, if you play with the bookie , he will beat you down, the bookies have The best maths skills, all you are doing is riding your luck,

Most people are riding their luck during the match.

But with things like 'cash in', you can make money during live play in at william hill, and you can also make a really good educated guess if you actually watch the match rather then have a punt blindly.

Besides, as long as I win, I don't care.
Original post by OllieLeake93
A couple of days ago I signed up with William Hill after I had enjoyed watching a friend play poker. I've been playing roulette over the last couple of days. To start with I made £30 and walked away and then the next morning I lost a bit of that and left. Later that I day I won more until I was about £60 on top. However I don't know what has happened to me today, Since I had such large winnings I was betting higher amounts of money. I started with £20 bets and ended up with nearly £50 bets to cover the bets that I lost.

However my bets have become out of hand and I have now ended up £500 down. I still have money in my bank so i'm not likely to go into debt with my bank but I just feel so depressed that I let this happen to me as i'm usually very, very careful with my money. I have contacted William Hill to see if there is anything they would do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I'm not after much from anyone reading this thread - I feel like I need to tell people as I would be too embarrassed to tell my parents or girlfriend but they don't see my bank statements so they won't find out.

It will take me about 2 months to earn this money back but I realise my mistake and plan on closing my account with William Hill and not gambling again.

Long story short, gambling could easily ruin your life. Just leave it at £500 and not £500k mate. for your own good.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Most people are riding their luck during the match.

But with things like 'cash in', you can make money during live play in at william hill, and you can also make a really good educated guess if you actually watch the match rather then have a punt blindly.

Besides, as long as I win, I don't care.

I think Paddy Power, are good, they make so many mistakes when it comes down to "Off times for sports" etc its about keeping an eye on certain events and markets. They also auto settle pay out and if they make a mistake they demand the money back.....Just withdraw the money when it settles :rolleyes:
At least he isn't a reckless gambler, he is structured to some extent in his stakes compared to some people who put multiple £1/5 accumulators every week expecting them to win.

I think people take this **** to seriously, as long as you win, and are ahead, who cares what system you use.
Original post by venenecinema
You made a nonsensical statement and were promptly given a clear and accurate explanation for why you were wrong. You then tried to change what you were saying and attacked the guy who had tried to help you. You're making yourself look a tool.

Another simpleton to join the bunch :smile:
Original post by JediArron
Another simpleton to join the bunch :smile:

You're really not doing yourself any favours.
Original post by OllieLeake93
A couple of days ago I signed up with William Hill after I had enjoyed watching a friend play poker. I've been playing roulette over the last couple of days. To start with I made £30 and walked away and then the next morning I lost a bit of that and left. Later that I day I won more until I was about £60 on top. However I don't know what has happened to me today, Since I had such large winnings I was betting higher amounts of money. I started with £20 bets and ended up with nearly £50 bets to cover the bets that I lost.

However my bets have become out of hand and I have now ended up £500 down. I still have money in my bank so i'm not likely to go into debt with my bank but I just feel so depressed that I let this happen to me as i'm usually very, very careful with my money. I have contacted William Hill to see if there is anything they would do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I'm not after much from anyone reading this thread - I feel like I need to tell people as I would be too embarrassed to tell my parents or girlfriend but they don't see my bank statements so they won't find out.

It will take me about 2 months to earn this money back but I realise my mistake and plan on closing my account with William Hill and not gambling again.

You mug!!! see bolded bit. YOU MUG!!! hahahaha. Welcome to the world of addiction. Believe it or not but William Hill won your money FAIR AND SQUARE. You don't stand a chance getting a single penny back...

If you never gamble again then fair play for escaping, but a £500 hit is wounding and chances are that you will be back for another shot. You might get the money back or you might go broke. My money is on you going broke. You clearly have a gambling problem if you spew £500 away which seems to mean something to you. You really need to curb it otherwise you will become consumed with gambling.

A note;

Roulette is a house game = odds are fixed and in favour of william hill

Poker is a skill game = odds are in favour of disciplined people who know how to play cards over large samples (maybe 5000+ hands a week at the very least!)
I have won 45 bets, and lost 27. For example lost on norwich, but then won it back with Milan:

17 Mar 13 / 14:12 Single 1 AC Milan v Palermo AC Milan Clean Sheet Live Yes @ 10/11 Won £50.00 £95.45
17 Mar 13 / 13:58 Single 1 Sunderland v Norwich Match Betting Live Norwich @ 19/20 Lost £10.00 £1.19
17 Mar 13 / 13:57 Single 1 Sunderland v Norwich Match Betting Live Norwich @ 10/11 Lost £20.00 £2.33

Everyone loses when betting. It's the nature of the beast, as long as you are ahead, that is all that matters. And yes I cherry pick.

You also need a bit of luck.

Using your data provided we could assume that a 10/11 is basically an even money shot (worked in a bookies for a few years and they used to offer these on completely even money markets)

Thus a 45-27 ratio, using a chi squared test (two tailed), would be P = 0.0339 which is statistically significant.

44-28 would be P = 0.0593 which is slightly significant

43-29 is P = 0.99 (not really significant)

42 - 30 is P = 0.15 (not significant)

So, assuming your prices fall within the 10/11 range overall (with consideration made for shorter or longer odds and averages used) then there is a statistical significance in your results which could have been proved non significant had the figure been more around the 42-30 mark.

Therefore I wonder whether you have just simply been the recipient of a good run of luck, or whether all of your selections have been around the 50% mark (which would be represented by 10/11 in the bookies) to make your figure statistically significant!

Example, if you back teams which are expected, by going off the odds, to win 55% of the time then your 45-27 ratio would be NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT with a P value of 0.2

IN FACT, to quote the calculator I used... if your teams are expected to win just 51% of the time (which is an improvement to the 50% I quoted for a 10/11 shot) then; The two-tailed P value equals 0.0509
By conventional criteria, this difference is considered to be not quite statistically significant.

therefore, unless you provide us with raw data then I can only conclude that, despite a 45-27 winning ratio sounding impressive, it might not actually be statistically significant and thus you might just be experiencing a good run of luck!

The maths is sound, and the source is; http://graphpad.com/quickcalcs/chisquared2/ You seem precariously on the edge of delusional territory which is easily debunked by a nice statistical analysis but not otherwise picked up by someone experiencing a good run of fortune.

For a debate, please submit the odds of every winning and losing bet out of the 72 that you have placed and maybe then I could make a more accurate analysis, for better or worse!!

As it stands though, despite your record sounding good there is no reason to discount statistical insignificance and thus void your entire objective in your post. As they say in poker, you are value betting REALLY thin atm :biggrin:

I do admit that your 19/20 bet does alter the stats in your favour slightly but by extrapolation would only affect it in a ratio of 1:2. Would still love to see your raw data on all 72 bets placed tho :smile: I really don't think your **** shines any brighter than any other punter though and I think you are one of those people who gamble with absolutely no concept of mathematics. It is sad in a way, I wish they'd make S1 mandatory for students. EVEN IF you prove to be statistically significant then, by virtue of playing poker for a living at one point, you ought to collect a much larger sample of games to analyse! Hell I wouldn't listen to less than 10k poker SnG games for a statistical analysis back in the day :biggrin:

I suppose i'm saying that you need to prove to me/us that of all the 72 bets you have placed you had a less than 51% chance of winning with them all... If you can do that then we can accept you are statistically significant. If you win 45/72 bets when you are likely to win MORE THAN 51% of the time then you are not actually statistically significant!!! A really fine line mate and I really don't think you appreciate that
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
Using your data provided we could assume that a 10/11 is basically an even money shot (worked in a bookies for a few years and they used to offer these on completely even money markets)

Thus a 45-27 ratio, using a chi squared test (two tailed), would be P = 0.0339 which is statistically significant.

44-28 would be P = 0.0593 which is slightly significant

43-29 is P = 0.99 (not really significant)

42 - 30 is P = 0.15 (not significant)

So, assuming your prices fall within the 10/11 range overall (with consideration made for shorter or longer odds and averages used) then there is a statistical significance in your results which could have been proved non significant had the figure been more around the 42-30 mark.

Therefore I wonder whether you have just simply been the recipient of a good run of luck, or whether all of your selections have been around the 50% mark (which would be represented by 10/11 in the bookies) to make your figure statistically significant!

Example, if you back teams which are expected, by going off the odds, to win 55% of the time then your 45-27 ratio would be NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT with a P value of 0.2

IN FACT, to quote the calculator I used... if your teams are expected to win just 51% of the time (which is an improvement to the 50% I quoted for a 10/11 shot) then; The two-tailed P value equals 0.0509
By conventional criteria, this difference is considered to be not quite statistically significant.

therefore, unless you provide us with raw data then I can only conclude that, despite a 45-27 winning ratio sounding impressive, it might not actually be statistically significant and thus you might just be experiencing a good run of luck!

The maths is sound, and the source is; http://graphpad.com/quickcalcs/chisquared2/ You seem precariously on the edge of delusional territory which is easily debunked by a nice statistical analysis but not otherwise picked up by someone experiencing a good run of fortune.

For a debate, please submit the odds of every winning and losing bet out of the 72 that you have placed and maybe then I could make a more accurate analysis, for better or worse!!

As it stands though, despite your record sounding good there is no reason to discount statistical insignificance and thus void your entire objective in your post. As they say in poker, you are value betting REALLY thin atm :biggrin:

I do admit that your 19/20 bet does alter the stats in your favour slightly but by extrapolation would only affect it in a ratio of 1:2. Would still love to see your raw data on all 72 bets placed tho :smile: I really don't think your **** shines any brighter than any other punter though and I think you are one of those people who gamble with absolutely no concept of mathematics. It is sad in a way, I wish they'd make S1 mandatory for students. EVEN IF you prove to be statistically significant then, by virtue of playing poker for a living at one point, you ought to collect a much larger sample of games to analyse! Hell I wouldn't listen to less than 10k poker SnG games for a statistical analysis back in the day :biggrin:

I suppose i'm saying that you need to prove to me/us that of all the 72 bets you have placed you had a less than 51% chance of winning with them all... If you can do that then we can accept you are statistically significant. If you win 45/72 bets when you are likely to win MORE THAN 51% of the time then you are not actually statistically significant!!! A really fine line mate and I really don't think you appreciate that

Forget these odds and statistics......pointless to the average individual, needless to say useless.

You worked in a bookies, wouldn't we be better off looking for avenues of making money at the moment like always there is something incredibly profitable - March Madness - Basketball (minimal risk).

Manually settled aka Alien Bets.

should be:

Spread
Virginia -16.5 to beat Norfolk State 20th march 1am 10/11 both sides of the bet
16.5 is alot in basketball

Money Line
1/20

Walk into local William Hill, avoid ladbrokes there markets are now auto slips now or whatever corals is good, there is no price on screens etc. Moron behind the counter hasnt got a clue and has to call up.. asks you to write down what you want you just write down the teams etc....95% of cashiers are just ignorant £6.08 spicks...... so you just have the teams on slip....never stake your slip beforehand.....and lately alot of places hire girls....who have no clue about gambling etc...all the want to do is a price on slip...without any realisation about a point spread etc......whole concept would be to get that 10/11 on the slip without the spread written on it....once they get off the phone.....stupid cashier gives you the slip to stake you write money line on the top of the slip and stake it......cashier dips the slip you get a receipt provided you dont be a mug and over stake e.g. over £100 etc there not going to PTL it......and security won't be alerted to view it...... Then try to cash it out asap don't they call the results line to get the results bang....you get paid out then, your out before they get that security call and you never step foot in that bookies again...... (just wear a cap and a hoodie to cover your face) most bookies have cameras in corners dont look up. You just need to be clued up what your looking for.

So what are the chances a 1/20 prematch bet loses in the long run of say a sample size of 50? 1/2? your running at a £91 profit each time. I personally have expensive tastes and enjoy the scams - mugs out there need to be cultured that there is more out there then Kempton Park.

P.S Always use cash, never leave a paper trail....i.e. using cards etc.... Inner city bookmakers are the best place to target i.e. The Strand, Covent Garden, full off new trained, high turnover cashiers, that will never amount to anything (simpletons). This isn't me being arrogant simple facts....
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mullah.S
You are making this compare. If you are thinking that being pig is being not becoming damage by gambling, then ok. It is showing very much western culture that restraining from gambling damage is same as being pig. I am choosing to not doing this, i am being better life because of it, and i am happy being. I do not getting gambling damage like this OP. But you are justify by saying if you do damage you from gamble (both emotional and financial) then you are not a pig so be happy.

You having fun hurting you're self, i will not. it is being up to you're self.

Also if you are gamble then you are not doing islam. Gamble and islam are being mutual exclusive. the sentence "i am seeing muslim gamble" is malformed sentence. Is like saying "i hear green smells from you're grandfather". If you gambling you are not being muslim.

Then what is Meydan Racecourse, Dubai......it holds the Dubai World Cup Night, which is just one of the events it holds throughout the year... So do the arabs just like to watch the "little horsies" go round and round without wondering whose going to win..... Dubai is considered to be pretty strict in being an islamic state, but if you really wanted to have a bet you can....your money just goes overseas.....same as Saudia Arabia/Qatar/etc.....Gambling happens a lot in islam, people are just not very vocal as in the western world.
Btw you just gambled by crossing the road, there is no certainty you were going to make it unscathed - fact. Still the odds of not making were there - Gambler.
Original post by Mullah.S
In islam there is no of this problem. This is why gamble is being haraam. You see how is been damaging you? This would not have happening if you were being muslim.

I know of many Muslims who gamble.
I think people take this **** to seriously, as long as you win, and are ahead, who cares what system you use.

because you will eventually lose?
Forget these odds and statistics......pointless to the average individual, needless to say useless.

Those statistics are probably the single most important bits of information that user will ever receive in his life on the subject of gambling. The statistics clearly say that HE MAY HAVE GOTTEN LUCKY to end up with a 45-27 winning ratio! Especially if he backs teams which have a 55% chance of being successful!

If you would like me to explain the statistics further then feel free to pm me. That aside, it wasn't addressed to you and if you don't get why they are important then I can't help you :rolleyes:

You worked in a bookies, wouldn't we be better off looking for avenues of making money at the moment like always there is something incredibly profitable - March Madness - Basketball (minimal risk).

Manually settled aka Alien Bets.

should be:

Spread
Virginia -16.5 to beat Norfolk State 20th march 1am 10/11 both sides of the bet
16.5 is alot in basketball

Money Line
1/20

Walk into local William Hill, avoid ladbrokes there markets are now auto slips now or whatever corals is good, there is no price on screens etc. Moron behind the counter hasnt got a clue and has to call up.. asks you to write down what you want you just write down the teams etc....95% of cashiers are just ignorant £6.08 spicks...... so you just have the teams on slip....never stake your slip beforehand.....and lately alot of places hire girls....who have no clue about gambling etc...all the want to do is a price on slip...without any realisation about a point spread etc......whole concept would be to get that 10/11 on the slip without the spread written on it....once they get off the phone.....stupid cashier gives you the slip to stake you write money line on the top of the slip and stake it......cashier dips the slip you get a receipt provided you dont be a mug and over stake e.g. over £100 etc there not going to PTL it......and security won't be alerted to view it...... Then try to cash it out asap don't they call the results line to get the results bang....you get paid out then, your out before they get that security call and you never step foot in that bookies again...... (just wear a cap and a hoodie to cover your face) most bookies have cameras in corners dont look up. You just need to be clued up what your looking for.

I do appreciate the ingenuity of this one! Sounds to me like you're more of a chancer and I kinda get why you don't care about statistics haha.

So what are the chances a 1/20 prematch bet loses in the long run of say a sample size of 50? 1/2? your running at a £91 profit each time. I personally have expensive tastes and enjoy the scams - mugs out there need to be cultured that there is more out there then Kempton Park.

P.S Always use cash, never leave a paper trail....i.e. using cards etc.... Inner city bookmakers are the best place to target i.e. The Strand, Covent Garden, full off new trained, high turnover cashiers, that will never amount to anything (simpletons). This isn't me being arrogant simple facts....

I reckon you could be one of those guys they have on the security page in shops hahaha. I wonder if I actually know you....
Reply 119
Yes, it says 'Lost money gambling'. OP has not mentioned anything about his religious beliefs, and you are posting on a predominantly UK based forum which is mostly a secular country. Religion does not need to be brought into the debate - however since it now has been I am free to criticise why religion should not be a factor to consider regarding the choice of whether to gamble.

Just being as much freedom to me for mention religion. go telling moderation if you thinking i am do illegal posting. is not mattering if you doing believe or not to permission me to do mention of religion view on gamble damage <- (again, go doing purchase of eyeglass and look at title of thread)

That's because you live in a part of the world where Islam is by far the majority religion and promoted by the state. You may think you have freedom of choice to believe in Islam. In reality there's massive bias towards choosing it because you have been taught an Islamic education from an early age and it is normal in your family.

same as being you living not in islam world. your education and state is bias you to thinking what you think and not thinking. both is not able to be justification on if is good or not.
but i am say my bias is stop me from gamble damage and i am be happier. OP bias is say they 'freedom of choice' do gamble damage and if you calling OP happy then i am not going to do prove you are lie.

Similarly if you get brought up in a conservative Jewish society and attend a Jewish school, you will learn the ways of Judaism from an early age and learn to accept them. The odds are that when your older you will continue to follow the religion that you have been brought up with.

This is effectively brainwashing - you are not able to make an unbiased choice of your religious beliefs. You will be far more likely to believe the teachings which you were brought up with.

is just show that your bias is differ from my bias. this is end of conversating. is simple to understanding if you do not attempt do pseudo-wisdom.

I do not believe in Islam because I have been brought up in a secular society with real freedom of religious choice. This is partially due to the fact most western media publications are secular and write without bias to certain religions and state control. They are free to criticise Islam as well as Christianity, Atheism and any other beliefs.

Similarly if you get brought up in a secular society society and attend a secular school, you will learn the ways of secular from an early age and learn to accept them. The odds are that when your older you will continue to follow the secular society that you have been brought up with.

This is effectively brainwashing - you are not able to make an unbiased choice of your secular beliefs. You will be far more likely to believe the secular society which you were brought up with.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending