The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skatealexia
1992. :colone: One day I'll be too old to warrant haunting this forum :'(. I will no longer be a student!
Hopefully one day I can say that after studying Vetmed! :biggrin:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It was you I contacted! :yep: You gave me the contacts for that farm, thanks so much! :biggrin: I just sent you another PM actually, I didn't realise you'd just posted in here :colondollar:

Ohh, those equine vet contacts would be beyond super duper helpful :biggrin: This forum is so great for vetty people :biggrin:

:biggrin:

^
orly? oops, sorry i have a really bad memory :colondollar: i'm pm you the details of the equine vets :smile:
Reply 22
Ahahahaha omg really?! A rock star and a world war in the 90s what fun Ahaha I'm still laughing at them haha I was stalking 2013/14 for months and waited desperately for someone to make a 2015 one but I thought I should take matters into my own hands Ahaha you're welcome to post here till your 2016 one is here :smile: and to answer your cow question earlier about 230 cows Holstein I believe :s-smilie: it's quite a continually process - sticking the machine ok one cow jump to the next aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Hahahaha that made me giggle! A girl in my history thought Martin Luther King was a rockstar, that was pretty interesting! :biggrin:

It made me laugh too, especially after the response from her father; "During the war!? I have FILLINGS older than her!" :lol:

EDIT: Wow, thanks for all the rep guys :jumphug: 4 gems now! :biggrin: I should have poked my head into this forum earlier, you're all lovely people :h:
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
orly? oops, sorry i have a really bad memory :colondollar: i'm pm you the details of the equine vets :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Original post by CanineVet
Ahahahaha omg really?! A rock star and a world war in the 90s what fun Ahaha I'm still laughing at them haha I was stalking 2013/14 for months and waited desperately for someone to make a 2015 one but I thought I should take matters into my own hands Ahaha you're welcome to post here till your 2016 one is here :smile: and to answer your cow question earlier about 230 cows Holstein I believe :s-smilie: it's quite a continually process - sticking the machine ok one cow jump to the next aha

Lightweight, I've been stalking since the 2011 thread :eek: :getmecoat: :lol: . I was waiting anxiously for someone else to start this thread as well. :colondollar:
Reply 25
[QUOTE=
Lightweight, I've been stalking since the 2011 thread :eek: :getmecoat: :lol: . I was waiting anxiously for someone else to start this thread as well. :colondollar:

Oh my grade A stalker right there! Ahaha ko! Hahaha well it's good that this is established because it makes you feel much closer to (hopefully) becoming a vet! :wink: so what universities are yous planning on applying to? Pour moi:
Glasgow
Edinburgh
RVC
Nottingham or Liverpool (still haven't decided)
And my fifth fallback option will be veterinary biosciences at glasgow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Oop quotes came out weird..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my grade A stalker right there! Ahaha ko! Hahaha well it's good that this is established because it makes you feel much closer to (hopefully) becoming a vet! :wink: so what universities are yous planning on applying to? Pour moi:
Glasgow
Edinburgh
RVC
Nottingham or Liverpool (still haven't decided)
And my fifth fallback option will be veterinary biosciences at glasgow :smile:

The 2011 bunch were a crazy bunch :tongue: There was one person who made some really cool vet themed cakes though! :biggrin:

I haven't really thought too much about universities yet, but so far I'm considering:

RVC
Bristol
Liverpool
Nottingham

For some reason I had it in my head that for non Scottish residents tuition fees at Scottish universities were extortionately high, but dizzeedollee just corrected me on that, so I'll look into them. I definitely don't want to apply to Cambridge, simply because of the extra year in the course, and I wouldn't want to be Surrey's second ever cohort for the course :no: . I'm not sure if I'll put a backup, I'll probably just end up taking a gap year and reapplying if I was rejected. :smile:
Reply 28
The 2011 bunch were a crazy bunch :tongue: There was one person who made some really cool vet themed cakes though! :biggrin:

I haven't really thought too much about universities yet, but so far I'm considering:

RVC
Bristol
Liverpool
Nottingham

For some reason I had it in my head that for non Scottish residents tuition fees at Scottish universities were extortionately high, but dizzeedollee just corrected me on that, so I'll look into them. I definitely don't want to apply to Cambridge, simply because of the extra year in the course, and I wouldn't want to be Surrey's second ever cohort for the course :no: . I'm not sure if I'll put a backup, I'll probably just end up taking a gap year and reapplying if I was rejected. :smile:

Hahaha vet cakes sound yummy! Need to make some but cant cook nor bake to save myself ahaha! There just my rough ideas I'm putting the scottish ones first purely because of ease - I don't particularly want to cross half the country however I would if it came to it. How does the fees work for you in Scotland? We thankfully don't have to pay a single penny directly for our first course but if I was in the unfortunate (yet fortunate) position of not getting into vet med but into vet bio and then returned to do vet med as a postgraduate degree apparently it cost £24,000 per year!! :O That is something I couldn't comprehend Ahaha I am going to put it down as my back up but whether I accept it if I have been accepted is a different story. I was considering a gap year but if you are rejected once you may not be accepted at all however that is quite pessimistic and I don't like to be that! Aha I forgot about the Surrey one I wouldn't want to go there purely because its new which means it isn't exactly easy to tell if its worthy or not :s-smilie: I still would like the RVC to be one of my English choices though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm going to apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham and Liverpool. I guess that could change in like 3 years haha!
Hahaha vet cakes sound yummy! Need to make some but cant cook nor bake to save myself ahaha! There just my rough ideas I'm putting the scottish ones first purely because of ease - I don't particularly want to cross half the country however I would if it came to it. How does the fees work for you in Scotland? We thankfully don't have to pay a single penny directly for our first course but if I was in the unfortunate (yet fortunate) position of not getting into vet med but into vet bio and then returned to do vet med as a postgraduate degree apparently it cost £24,000 per year!! :O That is something I couldn't comprehend Ahaha I am going to put it down as my back up but whether I accept it if I have been accepted is a different story. I was considering a gap year but if you are rejected once you may not be accepted at all however that is quite pessimistic and I don't like to be that! Aha I forgot about the Surrey one I wouldn't want to go there purely because its new which means it isn't exactly easy to tell if its worthy or not :s-smilie: I still would like the RVC to be one of my English choices though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes two of us haha. My idea of cooking is sticking a slice of cheese on toast under the grill. :colondollar: I'll see if I can find the cakes, give me a sec! :biggrin:

For me, I'd pay the same amount as I would for English universities (in other words, £9,000 x 5 ... eeek!)

The RVC is my number one choice so far :colondollar:. I'd love to get an offer form ANYWHERE and I know I shouldn't get my heart set on anywhere, but... :love: .

EDIT: Here's one of them! :biggrin:
***LINKY*** (Scroll down to post #5019)

EDIT 2: And more! :tongue:
Kitties (Post #6343)

EDIT 3: And moar! :awesome:
This one is my favourite :biggrin: ( #4989)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Yeah three years is plenty of time to choose and to do more work experience (lucky Ahaha) Holly (I take it that's your name from your username aha) are you from Scotland yourself or any other part of the UK - just wondering since you chose the scottish ones first :smile:

That makes two of us haha. My idea of cooking is sticking a slice of cheese on toast under the grill. :colondollar: I'll see if I can find the cakes, give me a sec! :biggrin:

For me, I'd pay the same amount as I would for English universities (in other words, £9,000 x 5 ... eeek!)

The RVC is my number one choice so far :colondollar:. I'd love to get an offer form ANYWHERE and I know I shouldn't get my heart set on anywhere, but... :love: .

Kitties (Post #6343)

OMG!! They look amazing! I couldn't get the second one up but I got the first and third. How do they do that?!? That rat one is soo good it's so detailed and intricate; emphasises my terrible ability to cook (pierces packet; presses microwave Ahaha) I'm going to get my mum to try and make one aha ko!

That doesn't sound pleasant (about the £45000). That's really unfortunate that you all have to pay down south - absolute pain in the back side to be honest aha. I like the look of the RVC definitely one of my favourites, if not my favourite, universities for veterinary in England. And as you say you can't exactly set your heart on one I just hope that one does actually pick me! Oh well we can live in hope, work hard an we'll all get there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kitties (Post #6343)

The third one is great, feel sorry for whoever had to eat that part of icing though! I made fairy cakes yesterday and they rose, but somehow spilled out the cases and we just had a tray filled with cake.. :confused: Tasted great though! :biggrin:
So, what is everyone doing for A-Levels/Highers?

At least I think they're called Highers? I know nothing of the Scottish education system so I shall have to educate myself. :tongue:
Reply 34
What subjects are you all taking the now and what have yous picked (and plan) to do over the next two years :smile:
Reply 35
So, what is everyone doing for A-Levels/Highers?

At least I think they're called Highers? I know nothing of the Scottish education system so I shall have to educate myself. :tongue:

haha! I sent that at the same time :P yeah there called Highers and Advanced Highers (you do them in sixth year (year 13) if you have completed the appropriate higher). I have chosen English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography (couldn't pick 3 sciences at standard grade or higher! :angry: The school is so stupid that way but then for the year below me (who are going to sit new exams that will take over the current Standard Grades) are suddenly allowed to take 3 sciences! I wasn't pleased especially since my whole career is based around them). Hopefully, in my final year I will take Adv H Chemistry & Biology and Crash Higher Physics and probably one other Higher or Adv Higher. What about you for A-levels (and A2s? Im sorry I don't have a clue about them either you may need to inform me :colondollar: haha) :smile:
Great minds think alike! :tongue:

Nice choices :biggrin: . Although personally I can't wait until I never have to study English again :tongue: . I'm very unoriginal so I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I'm considering Further Maths as well, but I'm not too keen on it as revision for it would take up valuable wex time and from what I have heard an additional AS level won't really benefit my application in any way.

You seem to have it sussed out but in England students take AS Levels and A2s in year 12 and year 13 respectively. Most people take four AS subjects, although five is not uncommon, and then drop a subject at the end of year 12 to end up with three full A-Levels by the end of year 13. :smile:
I wish we were doing standard grades in 3rd year. We are doing ''National 5'' and we are allowed to do 6. I took English, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. It's good that we get to take 3 sciences but then we basically chose subjects in 2nd year and are now dropping them! It's all a bit crazy right now!
National 5? What's that? :smile:

I wish I could do as few as six subjects :tongue: I do 12, but will end up with 13 GCSEs out of it. I guess with your system you have the time to study the subjects which interest you in more detail. :smile:
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it! Well apparently its kinda the same as int 2? To be honest I'm not really sure! In second year we all picked 8, or 9, subjects. Then suddenly at the end of that year they were like "OK now drop it down to 6!" :/ Also we weren't allowed to take 2 sciences, only either 1 or all three! Some people take National 4's and then some people take National 3's and in year 6 you can go back and do more National 5. We still do higher and advanced higher though! Which is good!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending