The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Bath Spa Primary PGCE 2013-2014!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Jodie,

The articles are from the TES but some are a few years old so you are unlikely to come across anything that you might have, however reading it can get you used to the style that's used and might give you some ideas. All I would say is have a word with your group before you go in and agree to help each other out, if you are struggling to say something, someone else might chip in a bit and prompt you, then you can roll something off. As much as that is probably the most important part of the interview it was quite relaxed and enjoyable, it's always good to hear other's opinions and experiences.

No idea how many places are available but someone asked about that at our interview and they said there are plenty, they would have been notified if they were running low. That was something I worried about but I don't think I needed to, they wouldn't have invited you to the interview if they didn't think you had a chance of getting in.

Hope this helps!
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Reply 21
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the help.

Original post by JWright23
Hi guys,

first, congratulations for getting an interview.

Don't panic, the "essay" and maths tests are simply to see where you may need extra support before you start if you get offered a place.
The essay is actually just a piece of writing, about a side and a half to two sides of A4, with the title exactly the same as in the email. They are not looking for a strong essay structure or knowledge of sources, they are simply looking at your ability to use written English correctly and to see that you can communicate effectively.
For the maths, if you have been studying for the Pearson Test it will be fine, make sure you know your percentages/decimals/fractions and you should find it ok. There is no "pass" mark and you won't even be told what you scored on it, as I say it's just to check your current knowledge and to see what extra support you may need should you get offered a place.

The most important part of the day is when you are split into smaller groups, about 6, you read a random educational article each, have to summarise it to the rest of your group and listen to the other summaries, then lead a discussion on your article and partake in others discussions. Be yourself, being your own experience into it, encourage each other, listen well, relax and keep it natural and informal and you will be fine.

Good luck!
Reply 22
Original post by Hannah-White
Ah yep we were in the same interview group :smile: I'm the girl with the curly dark hair who was sat next to the course leader lady! I agree, I think everyone in our group did well so hopefully they all got in :smile:

Have you worked out what you're going to do about accommodation yet then? It's good that they can get placements for you anywhere. I live about an hour away in north Wiltshire so I'm hoping to get placements nearer to me than Bath as I'll be commuting to uni.

Hannah

Ah yeh I remember! Did you have a good day after? We all seemed to lose track of each other after the interview, though I caught the bus back to Bath with Steve randomly lol.

Not yet, I've been waiting to see if the uni sends us anything in the post, but apart from my confirmation letter I've not had anything. I asked the uni about PGCE accom a little while ago and they have a leaflet especially for it, which basically says private sector or renting a room with a family with contracts for no more than 6 months. It does say though that they will cover the cost of moving if your first pllacement isn't near to where you live, which is useful. I just live in Swansea for work so will be leaving to go to Bath when the course starts. There's a few months yet though so I'm not worried. That's really useful you already live quite close, hopefully they take our location into account when placing us, at least a little. Personally I'm hoping for Devon or Cornwall!

Alun
Reply 23
I was wondering how long you get to prepare for the discussion and what the process is? Do you read your article and lead a discussion on it without everyone else reading it? does everyone just rely on how you sum up the article and then join in? or do you all read each others articles and go from there?
and can you make notes and use them as you go along?

Sorry for all the questions.
Reply 24
Hi Jimmy,

You read your article for about 3 minutes, turn it over and give a summary to the rest of your group (if you are last to give your summary I think they let you take a quick peek if you need to). Then you get another 5 minutes to read your article and you can make some notes prior to starting your discussion - which you can have your article in front of you for, although I wouldn't recommend just looking at that rather than the people you are discussing it with. You are the only one who reads your article.
It isn't too hard, the articles are all about the same length and aren't too big so don't panic, you will be fine!
Reply 25
Congratulations to everyone who got offered places so far! I had my interview on 6th December and got offered a place the following week but only just passed my QTS numeracy test so am happy to say that I'll be starting in September! So excited.

My advise to anyone with upcoming interviews is to not worry at all about the written essay and maths test. They called it a 'celebration' of our knowledge to relax us a bit; It really isn't anything to stress over. Never mind the content of the written essay, they just want to see your handwriting, sentence construction, punctuation spelling etc. I took my time and only filled one side of A4 but that was enough.

I failed my first Pearson QTS maths test but did really well in the maths test at the uni on the day - I know because she told us straight afterwards that everyone in our group almost got full marks! The fact that it is multiple choice really helps take the pressure off.

The main part of the day to prepare for is the group interview. I'd say the best thing to do is practice articulating yourself well, stay calm, link in some of your own experience from the time you've spent with children/in schools, and have a good sense of humor! They mainly want to see how you communicate with the others by getting your points across clearly and responding to others in a mature and friendly manner.

I would basically recommend having a berocca on the day :wink:

Hope this helps!

Aimee
Reply 26
p.s. I think the course start date is 9th Sept.
Reply 27
Hi

Just found out I am on the PGCE course starting in September providing I pass my tests, very excited!! Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Reply 28
Has anyone received any information from the University other than their acceptance on gttr?
Reply 29
No not yet. I checked the website a few days ago and it said that it'd be early March before any info gets sent out to new students. I don't know what kind of info though and whether this applies to us. Will just have to wait and see I guess.
Reply 30
I had my interview at Bath Spa, and I've been told I'm on the waiting list. Anyone else on this too? Any advise on what to do?
I had my interview on Monday. I'm anxiously waiting for the reply!
Just got an email telling me they're offering me a place! Very happy! See you guys in September!
Reply 33
Hello all :smile: I have my interview on Thursday 21st March (and I am absolutely dreading it.) Just wondering if you could tell me how long they will make me suffer for before telling me if I have been successful?!
Thanks, Amy
Original post by amzwoodman
Hello all :smile: I have my interview on Thursday 21st March (and I am absolutely dreading it.) Just wondering if you could tell me how long they will make me suffer for before telling me if I have been successful?!
Thanks, Amy

You've got absolutely nothing to dread. They make you feel very relaxed during it. They tell you at the interview that it can take up to 2 weeks before you get a response from them, for me it was exactly one week. I've heard others got a response in just 3 days!

Good luck in your interview :smile:
Reply 35
Aw thank you Smellslikepie, that fills me with more confidence! I am hoping that nerves wont get the better of me, I have got my rescue remedy all set! Well done you for getting a place, I bet you are well chuffed. Is this your first time of applying?
Amy :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Smellslikepie
You've got absolutely nothing to dread. They make you feel very relaxed during it. They tell you at the interview that it can take up to 2 weeks before you get a response from them, for me it was exactly one week. I've heard others got a response in just 3 days!

Good luck in your interview :smile:

Me again!
The reading task/group interview, do you have a time limit to read the articles? I have been to a similar interview before where they give you a time limit, i found this tricky because of the pressure!
Original post by amzwoodman
Me again!
The reading task/group interview, do you have a time limit to read the articles? I have been to a similar interview before where they give you a time limit, i found this tricky because of the pressure!

You are somewhat limited by time.

For my interview, they put more articles on the table than the people in the group and told us to pick one up and if we really didn't like it at first glance, we could just pick up a different one.

When everyone seemed happy with their choices, they said they were going to give us "a couple of minutes" to read through it because we'd have to provide a summary to the other interviewees and highlight the key points. It seemed like they waited until everyone looked like they were done. We then took it in turns to summarise the article and then we were told we'd have another 5 minutes to read it through again because we'll be leading a discussion on it drawing on our own personal experiences. They gave us plenty of time, the interviewers talked amongst themselves and we all felt like we had enough time to form an opinion on the piece. We were then asked who wanted to go first and we'd give a very brief summary to refresh peoples memory and give our opinion on the article. Mine was on uninspiring lessons and whether it was the fault of the National Curriculum or weak teachers. Try and make sure you have an opinion on everyone's article but don't seem dogmatic. Listen to what other people say and discuss. It sounds obvious but someone I work with got rejected because they seemed "overbearing and dogmatic"

Just relax and it'll be a breeze. :smile:

Does that make sense? I'm quite tired.
Hi :smile: I got offered a place on the PGCE course to start in September, WOOOOO. Does anyone know the date term would start?

thanks
Reply 39
Thanks, thats really helpful. And doesnt sound as bad as my other one! Im worried about getting a space, im travelling from chard so having to leave 2hours for the journey..what time did you arrive and was the carpark ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending