The Student Room Group

Why do everyone wants to become a "Teacher"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vibenation
Wait:mad::mad::confused:

I wasn't expecting an argument, its an opinion and I wanted to find out about people motivation or passion on why they want to become teachers. Do you expect every thread to be about arguments because I am tired of that approach. Your first post sound offensive and was clearly to insult me, with the usual grammar/spelling mistake. This is a forum, I can make all the spelling mistake/grammar that I like, why should I expect some bookworm to use the old grammar mistake on me. I do what I like.:colondollar::angry::angry:

Er, I guess you didn't read the part of my last post that said 'sorry'. I thought your opening post sounded argumentative. Then you cleared it up, and I apologised and I thought that was it. :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
Er, I guess you didn't read the part of my last post that said 'sorry'. I thought your opening post sounded argumentative. Then you cleared it up, and I apologised and I thought that was it. :s-smilie:

Really but to use grammar mistake on me, It hurted my feelings. I just to let it slide for now and vent out my anger. Consider this, letting my feelings out on this issue. Sorry on my part, I like to know that if I have a child, that he/she will get a decent education by teachers that have real passion. I hate it when people say all I want to do is become a teacher for money.

PS: Sorry, sometimes isn't enough. I sawed it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry on my part, I like to know that if I have a child, that he/she will get a decent education by teachers that have real passion. I hate it when people say all I want to do is become a teacher for money.

But that has nothing to do with the reason you were angry at me. You said earlier:
At least you can have legit reasons to do it
I have real passion for teaching, and I don't just want to be a teacher for money. And, also, why do you presume that I would change my mind if I worked in a special school? I want to be a SENCO, ta.
Really but to use grammar mistake on me, It hurted my feelings. I just to let it slide for now and vent out my anger. Consider this, letting my feelings out on this issue. Sorry on my part, I like to know that if I have a child, that he/she will get a decent education by teachers that have real passion. I hate it when people say all I want to do is become a teacher for money.

I don't blame them; money is the primary driving factor behind most jobs, and for some graduates, the only alternate to teaching is working in retail/sales/other non-grad roles. Sure, they may not be fully involved with their career, but they're meeting a crucial societal demand, especially for STEM subjects.
Reply 24
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
But that has nothing to do with the reason you were angry at me. You said earlier: I have real passion for teaching, and I don't just want to be a teacher for money. And, also, why do you presume that I would change my mind if I worked in a special school? I want to be a SENCO, ta.

Ignore my post, I wasn't mean't to sound angry. I said it the wrong way. I was angry on the grammar/spelling mistake you said eariler. Ignore that. It sound like I am a bad guy and sorry for sounding angry. I ain't a bad person in real life. Forums can bring annoying arguments that starts from misunderstanding.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Topmanfaz
I don't blame them; money is the primary driving factor behind most jobs, and for some graduates, the only alternate to teaching is working in retail/sales/other non-grad roles. Sure, they may not be fully involved with their career, but they're meeting a crucial societal demand, especially for STEM subjects.

Ok thanks for that.
Ignore my post, I wasn't mean't to sound angry. I said it the wrong way. I was angry on the grammar/spelling mistake you said eariler. Ignore that. It sound like I am a bad guy and sorry for sounding angry. I ain't a bad person in real life. Forums can bring annoying arguments that starts from misunderstanding.

A misunderstanding is exactly what it was :smile: sorry if I jumped a little too quickly!
Summer holidays...

But in all seriousness, I tried some lecturing at university as part of a volunteering scheme and really got a buzz out of it. After completing some work experience, I found something I was good at for a change and got some great feedback. Nothing gets you more motivated than a real feeling of success :smile:
I never wanted to be a teacher. Regurgitating the same old textbook crap to class after class of bored and arsey teenagers?

Then I got a job in a school (non-teaching), and after 6 months literally fell into teaching roles and ended up applying. It was the only ambition I ever had for longer than a year (didn't get in first time round :frown: ).

However, other people I know got into teaching because:

After leaving a previous job with a leading role it was a logical (and do-able) transition.
They had run groups and clubs since year dot and decided to pursue a similar role within their degree area.
They gained experience either intentionally or unintentionally and found a new passion.
It was one of the only jobs they could find to apply to with their degree.
They had worked in a menial job since doing postgrad study and colleagues pushed them towards it.
They didn't know what else to do, and almost any discipline can apply for teaching.

Does this mean that teaching is getting competitive?

Primary teaching courses have been competitive for at least the last 5 years, the entry requirements have rocketed. Primary PGCE is probably one of the most competitive courses there is, some people apply for 2 or 3 years before they are successful. And that is just getting on the course, the primary jobs market is absolutely saturated with good unemployed qualified teachers. Good luck getting a job without a passion for teaching, it's just not going to happen.

People in college probably say teaching because they aren't aware of all the possible jobs that are out there yet. By the time they finish their degree in 3 or 4 years time there will probably be brand new jobs/career routes. I don't think all the people that SAY they want to be a teacher in college will eventually become one, perhaps it is just a safe option at that point.
I hate it when people say all I want to do is become a teacher for money.

I wish the money was good enough to be in it only for the money!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
So that there are less people who write things like "why do everyone wants to".
Reply 32
Original post by infairverona
So that there are less people who write things like "why do everyone wants to".

Best opinion of the day. :blah::blah:
Reply 33
Relatively safe career, decent pay, rewarding(helping to educated and improve people), good amount of regular time off too. Can also get to work with your passion on a daily basis(not everyone but if you love Maths you can teach it most of the day 5 times a week).
Reply 34
You get paid a decent salary for a degree (and PGCE) and you also get a lot of holidays!

The pay structure is very attractive. If you have ambition and willing to work hard in a few years you can get deputy or head of department, that will get you around £45k then once you enter the management system within the schools you can get around £60k.

Then get to head teacher and well anything from £90k+

You can progress very quick if you are dedicated too
True, but really this can happen in other colleges. You honestly think that there is just 1 bad further education institution. This can happen in any school or college in Sheffield. Wow, there like five main colleges. Most people go to the one that is most close to them.

As far as I'm aware, unless things have changed, you don't have to be qualified as a teacher to teach certain things in college (or if you do, you don't have to go down the BEd/PGCE route). My web design/digital graphics teacher certainly wasn't, and I don't think many others were when I was at college. That said, maybe I just went to a dodgy college haha.
Reply 36
Having trained last year and been in a job since September, I cannot imagine for one second how someone who does not want to teach manages to stumble through if they don't have that basic desire there. I don't even really know why I like my job some days but there's something somewhere that's keeping me going.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app
It's something I've wanted to do since about 15-16. I'm looking forward to the day where I'll have my OWN classroom - I'll design it to my liking! Plus I always want to remain involved in education. I was taught and now I will teach. It's one of the best cycles of life.
It's a pity you can't measure enthusiasm. I know a couple of people who are doing the PGCE because there was nothing else to do - the same people who in second year questioned my decision to go into teaching. I hope people who enter the profession do take a like for it because it wouldn't be fair on the kids they teach if their heart is not in it.
Original post by becki1982
You get paid a decent salary for a degree (and PGCE) and you also get a lot of holidays!

The pay structure is very attractive. If you have ambition and willing to work hard in a few years you can get deputy or head of department, that will get you around £45k then once you enter the management system within the schools you can get around £60k.

Then get to head teacher and well anything from £90k+

You can progress very quick if you are dedicated too

Would you say the opportunities of progressing in such a way is the same for primary teachers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending