The Student Room Group

How to get full ums in edexcel chemistry as level

Hi there I bombed my January module for this (got a B, 1 raw mark off an A) I know this isn't that bad but I was aiming for full ums. I worked My ass off but it didn't pay off. Any tips? Especially on part A :/ thanks
Reply 1
Original post by originaltitle
Just make sure you know everything you're required to know...

thanks for your ehhh.. original, advice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by madfish
Hi there I bombed my January module for this (got a B, 1 raw mark off an A) I know this isn't that bad but I was aiming for full ums. I worked My ass off but it didn't pay off. Any tips? Especially on part A :/ thanks

I think getting used to the exam style is key as generally the questions (apart from this Jan 2013 paper however) are pretty similar each year.
Make sure you know things like definitions (easy marks) and you can differentiate between equations for enthalpy of atomisation etc as those seem to pop up a lot in Section A.

Learn the topics, then apply to exam-style questions. Plus remember, reading a textbook is never going to be better than sitting down and writing notes/answering questions - the stuff will stick way better with the latter.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by samsimmons
I think getting used to the exam style is key as generally the questions (apart from this Jan 2013 paper however) are pretty similar each year.
Make sure you know things like definitions (easy marks) and you can differentiate between equations for enthalpy of atomisation etc as those seem to pop up a lot in Section A.

Learn the topics, then apply to exam-style questions. Plus remember, reading a textbook is never going to be better than sitting down and writing notes/answering questions - the stuff will stick way better with the latter.
Good luck :smile:

thanks for the helpful advice :smile:

jan 13 paper was so hard ... was not prepared for it at all

Slightly unfair I feel but hey, it's life
Reply 4
Original post by madfish
thanks for the helpful advice :smile:

jan 13 paper was so hard ... was not prepared for it at all

Slightly unfair I feel but hey, it's life

Yeah lots of weird results at my school, some people doing really well who normally would have gotten Cs and vice versa.
To be honest though, it really rewarded the people who had revised the most thoroughly :smile:
Reply 5
Can I ask, which organic mechanisms do we need to know?

I know the electrophilic addition mechanism is needed, as are both (SN1 and SN2) nucleophilic substitution mechanisms. Do we need the elimination mechanism(s)? Esterification? Oxidation of alcohol to aldehyde/ketone/carboxylic acid?
Reply 6
It's difficult to get full UMS (and there isn't much point). I ended up with about 590/600 in Chemistry and really it boiled down to fully understanding the chemistry (obviously).

Quick Reply

Latest