The Student Room Group

Isa practise question

Hey guyss,

just practising for my ISA and I came across a past question a teacher gave me saying...

What precautions did you take when counting guard cells in a leaf?

What do you think? Would doing repeats count?
Reply 1
Original post by aspiringmedic1
Hey guyss,

just practising for my ISA and I came across a past question a teacher gave me saying...

What precautions did you take when counting guard cells in a leaf?

What do you think? Would doing repeats count?

Performing repeats wouldn't really be a precaution, but more of a measure of reliability and validity of your results. Precautions would be simple safe guard measures you can use to optimise the results you gather. I'm assuming you'll be using a light microscope so simple measures would be to properly calibrate and cleanse the microscope, and also proper use of isolating a sample without damaging the cells. If you're using staining techniques, then a simple "correct staining measures must be applied" would do, although I doubt you need to stain the guard cells.
Original post by Eloades11
Performing repeats wouldn't really be a precaution, but more of a measure of reliability and validity of your results. Precautions would be simple safe guard measures you can use to optimise the results you gather. I'm assuming you'll be using a light microscope so simple measures would be to properly calibrate and cleanse the microscope, and also proper use of isolating a sample without damaging the cells. If you're using staining techniques, then a simple "correct staining measures must be applied" would do, although I doubt you need to stain the guard cells.

Ahh okay. The sample experiment doesn't involve stains though. It involves placing a piece of tape on the lower side of the lea to make an impression, then putting that piece of tape under the microscope to count the number of guard cells.

So would 'taking extra care that air bubbles don't occur' be one?

Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aspiringmedic1
Ahh okay. The sample experiment doesn't involve stains though. It involves placing a piece of tape on the lower side of the lea to make an impression, then putting that piece of tape under the microscope to count the number of guard cells.

So would 'taking extra care that air bubbles don't occur' be one?

Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right, I haven't done A-levels in a while so it's a little difficult to distinguish between A-level material and uni content. I don't think at A-level they would except you to avoid 'air bubbles' in microscope slides, so it would be an answer (I believe) but I doubt they'd expect you to perform it.
Reply 4
Yeah air bubbles would be the catch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending