The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Case Study

Has anybody looked at the case study that has been issued? About Cavendish Cycles?

what do you guys think about it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sadly, I haven't seen a copy yet as not on OCR site and my school hasn't got...any chance of you posting a copy for me to download and I can comment then...

Thanks
Reply 2
The case study is available on ocr site under pre released materials. I think it's okay, alot of figures.
Reply 3
Hi

I think if you check it's been removed...I've spoken to OCR and they're trying to sort it out...in the meantime I have nothing to look at..so I'm revising key concepts such as investment appraisal and hope I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks, anyway for replying. Will let you know what I think when I finally get it.

]Have just got a copy...apparantly it was only put back a few mins ago as some of it needed tweaking...so suggest you download again just to be on the safe side.......
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mobendall
Hi

I think if you check it's been removed...I've spoken to OCR and they're trying to sort it out...in the meantime I have nothing to look at..so I'm revising key concepts such as investment appraisal and hope I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks, anyway for replying. Will let you know what I think when I finally get it.

]Have just got a copy...apparantly it was only put back a few mins ago as some of it needed tweaking...so suggest you download again just to be on the safe side.......

Oh that is a worry as our school received the official copies a few days back too. Out of interest what investment appraisals was you revising as they are not a massive part of F297
Reply 5
Hi

I was just going over some basic ideas like ROCE, Gearing etc to make sure I could use them if needed but looking at the study...I think my time is best spent looking at decision trees...I'll have another look later tonight/tomorrow and see....
Reply 6
It's an okay case study, not too boring. My teacher thinks it will be silly if decision trees don't come up as the calc, and there are a lot of econ elements to it so best to revise that since it is an almost guaranteed question!
Reply 7
Case study looks alright, loads of numbers so easy to get into the Analysis marks. Number question I'd guess will be decision trees but Investment Appraisal is a potential alternative or maybe Time-Series Analysis considering the seasonal nature of the firm. Agreed on the economics question, HR question about the youth of the employees in stores and importance of staff retention is also a possibility.
Reply 8
What do you think the key topics are to revise for this case study guys?
Reply 9
Just wondering when will a apt analysis be released for this case study? If so were can it be obtained from?

thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Adz1
Just wondering when will a apt analysis be released for this case study? If so were can it be obtained from?

thanks
A company called Tutor2U publish detailed analyses of all OCR pre-seen case studies, the F297 analysis of Cavendish Cycles is due to be released in the next few weeks. Their target market is towards schools however and I believe that one must pay a licence fee and then purchase individual copies on CD at additional cost. Because of the licence fee it is unlikely to financially viable to purchase a single copy, unless there are alternative purchase arrangements that can be made, however it may be something that you could raise with your class teacher or head of department.
Hi

From what I remember, if you ring them directly, they may offer you a one-off student rate for the guide......about £30...
Reply 12
When answering essays and including figures, do you need to reference and say how you got that figure? For example net profit margin = 2.76%. Would I need to show my working out in brackets?
Reply 13
Original post by Devina-S
When answering essays and including figures, do you need to reference and say how you got that figure? For example net profit margin = 2.76%. Would I need to show my working out in brackets?

I sat the January Accounts module (F294) and managed to get a high A without showing any working unless it was explicitly asked for i.e. the first number question. My advice would be that if you are using numbers in an essay then no, don't show your working. If you producing numbers leading to a quantititive answer then you must show your working. In an essay you are also unlikely to be penalised if you make a minor mistake in your answers as long as you analyse and evaluate the figure that you give correctly.
Reply 14
Original post by spud337
I sat the January Accounts module (F294) and managed to get a high A without showing any working unless it was explicitly asked for i.e. the first number question. My advice would be that if you are using numbers in an essay then no, don't show your working. If you producing numbers leading to a quantititive answer then you must show your working. In an essay you are also unlikely to be penalised if you make a minor mistake in your answers as long as you analyse and evaluate the figure that you give correctly.

Thank you so much! Really helpful advice :smile: When you say "leading to a quantitative answer" do you mean only for the first 13 mark calculation q to show your working since that is the only calc that requires an essay around it (the follow on 18 mark)?
Reply 15
Original post by Devina-S
Thank you so much! Really helpful advice :smile: When you say "leading to a quantitative answer" do you mean only for the first 13 mark calculation q to show your working since that is the only calc that requires an essay around it (the follow on 18 mark)?

Yes, only show your working for the 13 mark question regardless of how simple the maths behind the answer is.
Reply 16
I got this revision list from a case study analysis, all this stuff is from the syllabus that is mentioned in the case study. Hopefully it might be of some use to someone :smile:

-Formation of objectives at tactical + strategic levels
-Communication objectives
-Influence of objectives on corporate behaviour
-Extent to which stakeholder objectives (including government macro-economic objectives) may affect behaviour/decisions
-Need/significance for constant review of market/ environmental circumstances
-Data analysis- gathering and summarising info
-Decision Trees
-Employee contribution to objectives
-Business performance through ratios
-Capital structure:gearing
-Unemployment
-Interest/exchange/tax rates and their implications
-Changes of international competitiveness
-Inflation/deflation
-Economic growth
-Moral/ethical/environmental issues
-Role of teamwork/motivation/leadership
-Reasons for changing location
-Strategies for responding to change in market demand/research and development/new product development

P.s I've shortened it a bit, look at the syllabus if something doesn't make sense :P
Reply 17
I would also suggest that there is likely to be a question on brand image and the management of a brand. This will come about from their proposed homogenisation of brands and will raise conflicts of internet pricing and pricing discrimination between their physical profit centres and the virtual e-commerce profit centre. This will ultimately amount to which income stream they deem more important (want to increase online sales but still have high importance on their physical stores) and with whom they aim to compete.
Reply 18
hi does anybody have access to the apt or tutor2u case study analysis? i'm sitting the exam privately and can't afford to pay for the licence myself. am happy to pay for a copy. please help
Reply 19
Original post by hannxo
I got this revision list from a case study analysis, all this stuff is from the syllabus that is mentioned in the case study. Hopefully it might be of some use to someone :smile:

-Formation of objectives at tactical + strategic levels
-Communication objectives
-Influence of objectives on corporate behaviour
-Extent to which stakeholder objectives (including government macro-economic objectives) may affect behaviour/decisions
-Need/significance for constant review of market/ environmental circumstances
-Data analysis- gathering and summarising info
-Decision Trees
-Employee contribution to objectives
-Business performance through ratios
-Capital structure:gearing
-Unemployment
-Interest/exchange/tax rates and their implications
-Changes of international competitiveness
-Inflation/deflation
-Economic growth
-Moral/ethical/environmental issues
-Role of teamwork/motivation/leadership
-Reasons for changing location
-Strategies for responding to change in market demand/research and development/new product development

P.s I've shortened it a bit, look at the syllabus if something doesn't make sense :P

That's helped alot mate! Thankyou!
Is that all it says we should revise regarding this Bicycle Case Study ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending