The Student Room Group

Need help.

Ok, I spoke to Student Finance and from what I have been told, I won't get much of a grant due to what my dad earns.

The pickle is, my dad is single but earns quite a bit, trouble is my mum was a gambling addict and left my family straddled in debt. AKA, he can't help me at all with money. The best he can do is cancel my money that is sent to him every month, which is 80 quid.

What the hell can I do?! The person at Student Finance said they can not help me and that they only work with on how much my dad earns.

I'm going to City university this year and the prices in London I heard are quite stupid, food wise. How can I survive? Thy said they will pay for my course and everything but for the maintenance grant, I won't get much as others.

This happened with EMA when I was at college, I could not qualify due to how much my dad owns, despite he can't afford to pay for my own and sisters bus travel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by Willbean
Ok, I spoke to Student Finance and from what I have been told, I won't get much of a grant due to what my dad earns.

The pickle is, my dad is single but earns quite a bit, trouble is my mum was a gambling addict and left my family straddled in debt. AKA, he can't help me at all with money. The best he can do is cancel my money that is sent to him every month, which is 80 quid.

What the hell can I do?! The person at Student Finance said they can not help me and that they only work with on how much my dad earns.

I'm going to City university this year and the prices in London I heard are quite stupid, food wise. How can I survive? Thy said they will pay for my course and everything but for the maintenance grant, I won't get much as others.

This happened with EMA when I was at college, I could not qualify due to how much my dad owns, despite he can't afford to pay for my own and sisters bus travel.

This is the case for quite a lot of students in the middle income brackets - you'll have to get a part time job to supplement the downfall from your student loan.
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
This is the case for quite a lot of students in the middle income brackets - you'll have to get a part time job to supplement the downfall from your student loan.

Yeah, I'm willing to do that but I don't want to sacrifice my study time.
Yeah, I'm willing to do that but I don't want to sacrifice my study time.

Jobs in retail/bar work are usually pretty flexible, I have a part-time job and my grades haven't suffered, it's definitely doable if you've got a decent boss who allows flexibility so you can still study properly.
Reply 5
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Jobs in retail/bar work are usually pretty flexible, I have a part-time job and my grades haven't suffered, it's definitely doable if you've got a decent boss who allows flexibility so you can still study properly.

Don't you have to be attractive to work in a bar?
Don't you have to be attractive to work in a bar?

Don't think so, but that's entirely subjective anyway.
Reply 7
Don't think so, but that's entirely subjective anyway.

I got told you have to for places like Fever to even be considered and they check your Facebook.
I got told you have to for places like Fever to even be considered and they check your Facebook.

Bit unethical! Could always make everything private to stop them snooping. If bar work isn't for you there's still loads of other opportunities in nearby shops.
Reply 9
Bit unethical! Could always make everything private to stop them snooping. If bar work isn't for you there's still loads of other opportunities in nearby shops.

Unethical? You have any idea how much spyware exists on your computer now?

But yeah, I fancy some jobs outside of public view. Stacking shelves I could tolerate.
Unethical? You have any idea how much spyware exists on your computer now?

But yeah, I fancy some jobs outside of public view. Stacking shelves I could tolerate.

Yup, lots of unethical stuff goes on, doesn't make it right though, especially if it can cost you a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending