The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do women over react at 'sexism?'

Probably an unpopular opinion from me, but I think so many people over react on sexism. Just seen an argument on facebook on a picture where there was a guy with a very long maths equation with something along the lines on 'the equation to understanding women' and some girls claimed it was sexist. Now how the hell is that sexist? As a woman myself, even I know that women are hard to understand but I really don't think that's sexist. Then it turned in to 'men who say women should be in the kitchen or should make them a sandwich are sexist and rude'. Is it just me that doesn't find those phrases offensive or sexist in the slightest? All I see it as is banter, it's really not offensive. Women talk about being treated equally but everyday I see stuff that is not equal in the slightest. I saw a girl slap a man across the face then say 'You can't hit me back because I'm a woman'. Is it just me or is there a lot of women that really try and make a big deal out of something that isn't really a problem? I can understand there is real sexism going on in workplaces and the like which is a problem, but pictures which are obviously a joke just don't seem offensive to me. There's certainly worst things to worry about than getting all flustered because a man told you to make a sandwich.

Scroll to see replies

Generally anti-sexism statements are made on the internet - you did mention that this was on facebook. In everyday life if you asked a woman her opinion on sexism she would likely be confused about what you meant (there are many definitions and circumstances related with it i.e. sexist comments compared with actual discrimination) or laugh it off because sexism is often referred to ironically now that it's now accepted as wrong. In my class every now and then, especially when we are in social studies, someone might make a joking comment like 'get back to the kitchen' or something. The teacher will usually repremand them but no-one takes it seriously. So no, I don't think people over react to sexism, complaints on the internet are just people who want to feel as if they are make a difference or look righteous.
Reply 2
The sandwich/kitchen jokes are just an example of institutionalised sexism, so much so that we don't consider why they're sexist anymore and people just use them for 'banter.' The thing is, the gender roles they're trying to mockingly enforce are real. You can see them in the faux-scientific articles popping up all over the place which claim women are biologically suited and predisposed to domestic work, you can see them when you compare maternity and paternity leave statistics, you can see them when you look at the terms used to describe any woman in a high-powered job.

It's great that they don't irritate you or annoy you, but don't be mad because some people are upset by them. They have their reasons. Feminist has become a really dirty word on TSR lately so I'll probably get negged for this, but it had to be said.
Most women don't get that bothered about stuff like 'make me a sandwich'.

Most of them know its just being put out there to bait them into a reaction because the guy wants attention from them.

It's just like when women make fun of us about 'manflu' etc most guys just go LOL yeah and play along with it.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
The sandwich/kitchen jokes are just an example of institutionalised sexism, so much so that we don't consider why they're sexist anymore and people just use them for 'banter.' The thing is, the gender roles they're trying to mockingly enforce are real. You can see them in the faux-scientific articles popping up all over the place which claim women are biologically suited and predisposed to domestic work, you can see them when you compare maternity and paternity leave statistics, you can see them when you look at the terms used to describe any woman in a high-powered job.

It's great that they don't irritate you or annoy you, but don't be mad because some people are upset by them. They have their reasons. Feminist has become a really dirty word on TSR lately so I'll probably get negged for this, but it had to be said.
Feminazi alert.

Nobody with common sense and half a brain actually takes the banter seriously, you need to seriously relax and stop analysing simple banter.
Well now you're just being a hypocrite, if you really are a feminist then wouldn't you argue that women aren't suited for domestic work and should be tough business women/other perceived male roles with independence? and believe that there should be more rights to women and less to men?.

It's a never-ending circle, everytime people like you contradict yourself by saying double standards that USED to exist, that rarely-none exist in our current day.
I don't really appreciate institutionalised sexist 'banter', but I can give as good as I get which usually shuts them up. I really do dislike the school of thought that says women taking the piss out of men is just 'for a laugh', but if a man did the same to them, they'd kick right off. Although I haven't explained this point very well, I suggest Loose Women as an example.

What I really don't like is when I go down to the service yard at work, and the UPS delivery men are all 'oh look he's brought a girl down to help, don't you worry love I'll wheel these heavy boxes up for you'. Er yeah, get lost. Where is the point in wheeling the delivery down a slope for me when I have to carry the entire 20 cartons up two flights of stairs on my own?

I should probably write something more cogent, but I've been up since 5 so meh.
Reply 6
I'm female, and I don't get offended by sexist jokes at all.. I don't see the big deal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Damask-

You're perfectly at liberty to retaliate in kind, you know
Ugly women do, yes. Trying to make up for their gross obesity, or their looks.
Reply 9
Giving a generalising answer to this question - yes or no, would be sexist within itself.

What I can say is that I've met women who not only accept sexist humour, but they advocate it. They are able to take a joke and respond in an equall fashion.

I have also met females that take even the act of simply holding a door open in serious offense.

Who I like more out of these two examples should be obvious!
(edited 11 years ago)
The one thing that annoys me is when a girl says they are equal to a man, i.e. "Don't be sexist.", when other times they deplete themselves as inferior, such as when they say, "Don't hit a woman you're a man." English everyday language is riddled with statements that bat for both sides, although overall it's something that we cannot stop; man's human nature is to survive, so we seek other people's imperfections to come out on top.
Don't think this was a very clever thread. Everyone has different opinions. Some people react more than others. That's always going to happen. I don't think you can judge the way someone reacts to "sexism", because you really don't know the person, and what could have caused them to have this view. All this thread will do is cause arguments and petty insults.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Ugly women do, yes. Trying to make up for their gross obesity, or their looks.

this is soo true, no hot women would give a **** about sexism
in my opinion it's actually girls who are more sexist towards girls than guys are towards girls
but you know what girls are like...
The legendary yahooey feels women do overreact to anything
Yes they do. Everything is sexist these days according to liberal young females, men can't even open their mouths without being assaulted by the PC police.
Reply 16
They don't overreact to sexism but a lot see sexism where it doesn't exist
Why was this ancient thread revived again?
Original post by Damask-

How are jokes which are intended to be shocking or provocative in order to elicit a laugh an example of institutionalised anything? Institutionalised is defined as '

institutionalizeɪnstɪˈtjuːʃ(ə)n(ə)lʌɪz/verbpast tense: institutionalized; past participle: institutionalized

1.establish (something, typically a practice or activity) as a convention or norm in an organization or culture."he institutionalized the practice of collaborative research on a grand scale"

2.place or keep (someone) in a residential institution.

So you would have to demonstrate (a) the practice or activity of jokes exclusively against women is a convention or organisation; and (b) the intent is sexist in so far as sexist opinions are the basis for this behaviour.

(a) Is not true, jokes are made against everyone, it's not exclusively to any one subgroup but even assuming that to be correct (b) is your confirmation bias. You have no idea why people make these jokes, what the intent is or how they view the world yet you'll happily impute intention without sufficient evidence to do so. Prima facie example if they hate women why are they married? Why do they love their daughters so much? I'm sure you will be trying to say 'patriarchy' but that isn't the point I'm getting at - rather the baseline common denominator in so far as why would they optionally volunteer to spend so much time with people they hate? At work or school you avoided people you didn't like, if you hate them why would you optionally agree to spend your life with exclusively one of the group you hate?

'Faux scientific articles'. Demonstrate how they're faux. Every single sexually divided species shows distinct separate traits for the male and female. For example in apes the males are bigger, stronger, more aggressive and the females are more caring towards the young. Conversely in seahorses the male looks after the children, in mantises the woman is much larger and often rips the males head off after sex. My point being its not faux biology to identify objective trends in not just humans as a species but in species throughout the animal kingdom. Science has hundreds of years of observation, chemical research (ie hormones), advanced imaging, detailed studies and careful consideration behind it - what is your counter evidence?

As for the gender roles I'll show this the same way I show stereotypes. Why is it nobody stereotypes Africans as wearing sombreros? Simple answer because that has never been observed - similarly gender roles are a generally observed trend of human interaction (as is true in the other aforementioned instances). That doesn't mean people have to follow them but it does establish a base line as to general behaviour by observation thereof. Does it never seem strange to you how the scientific and social elements slot together to make perfect sense whereas your counter is its a conspiracy for no particular purpose. Men are 90% of workplace deaths, women historically cant be soldiers (ie blown up and/or shot), it used to be 'women and children first', chivalry used to demand you defend your womans honour ie punched someone because they upset her regardless of potential consequence, maternity leave is legally mandated, child support and alimony exist etc etc but yet we live in a society that institutionally hates women? Not a lot of logic there.

To answer the OP some do, some don't. There's never an all or nothing across diverse demographics.
Reply 19
Answering the original post.
Women and men equally overreact at sexism. I'm not saying sexism is an issue that doesn't need resolution, but rather that it doesn't need "radical" resolutions.

Getting angry and overreacting at an issue won't solve it, and will only irritate others.
Women want to be equal, fine. Let's work towards providing them with same rights and opportunities in a calm manner. World isn't a kindergarten, we shouldn't need supervisors to make those changes. Being irate won't help solve the issue.

I don't claim to know much about sexism and feminism, but above is based on what I do know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending