The Student Room Group

Rude Cashiers. WTF Are Wrong With Them?

Hi

I went to Sainsburys today to do some shopping. Bought a lot of Coke since they were on offer and also the fact that I had a party planned for the weekend. I went with my aunt and she too bought some coke.

We abviously went to the same cashier but she was in front of me and I was behind. The cashier served my aunt quite well and then she said to my aunt that she only bought 6 coke. Basically the cashier thought my trolley was my aunts as well (yes the cashiers retarded, I put the divider thing to indicate that my shopping was separate.)

I told the cashier that I never knew the person in front and that I came to do my own shopping. She then had the cheek to ask why my aunt was waiting. I said that I didn't know. Thats not it. This cashier even asked her colleagues if she was allowed to sell 6 bottles of coke even though she served my aunt without fault. After I paid she didn't say thank you or anything like that. I told her she lacked manners.

Who's at fault? I think the cashier. I clearly put a divider on the bay thingy to indicate that my shopping was separate. I also had my own trolley and so on. In addition to this, why should she care if I knew the person in front or not. I told her that I never knew the person in front, in case she did something stupid. I work in retail and always say please and thank you to any customers whether they are aggresive or not. It doesn't matter. A customer is still a customer, and I am very shocked to see that people like her are working there.

Funny thing is, a lot of my family members work there and she obviously doesn't know. I don't blame the Sainsburys branch, I blame the cashier. So rude.

What do you think? Was I at fault or was the cashier?

Scroll to see replies

The cashier has seen that you and your aunt are together and then got the hump when you lied about it.
I don't know who was at fault, but I don't think you're in a position to judge her for what was probably an honest mistake - you don't know what's going on in her life. Although I can see why you would be annoyed and it does seem a bit weird to question it like that :confused:
Reply 3
Why does it matter whose Coke is whose? I mean, yeah, maybe the cashier was having a bad day but seriously why does she need to check if she can sell a certain amount of cola to a person? :lolwut: and why did she need to ask why your aunt was waiting?
Reply 4
We are a polite nation with some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Any sociology students care to elaborate or explain this mind boggling phenomenon? :wink:
This didn't sound that bad?
Reply 6
Original post by madders94
Why does it matter whose Coke is whose? I mean, yeah, maybe the cashier was having a bad day but seriously why does she need to check if she can sell a certain amount of cola to a person? :lolwut: and why did she need to ask why your aunt was waiting?

Because when things are on offer some shops place restrictions on the amount that people can buy.
Reply 7
Why did you lie in the first place? Surely it was obvious that you were together and thus roused the suspicions of the cashier.
Reply 8
is*
This is similar to when you are buying alcohol and you, the customer, have ID but the person you are with doesn't so they don't sell it to you in case you give it to them. GAH! Is there anything more ridiculous?
Reply 10
Original post by Lukev
The cashier has seen that you and your aunt are together and then got the hump when you lied about it.

Why should she care? Is she the manager? Is the owner of the business?

Also, companies should give respect to customers. Personally, I work in retail. My family work in retail. My aunt used to work in sainsburys and now my cousins work there.

I have never had problems at Sainsburys until today. I may have lied, but why does that matter? Wouldn't you want to make some extra money?
Blame Jamie Oliver.
Reply 12
Original post by balloon_parade
This is similar to when you are buying alcohol and you, the customer, have ID but the person you are with doesn't so they don't sell it to you in case you give it to them. GAH! Is there anything more ridiculous?

Yh I know.

In this case, I wasn't buying alcohol. I was buying Coke and clearly theres no age restriction.

I go to that Sainsburys branch on a weekly basis and have never had a problem. This cashiers very rude and she has no right to know what my aunt was doing. She not the owner or manager of the business.

If I ever do become a branch manager the first thing I will teach staff is manners. The nation lacks manners and I feel that manners are very very important in business. You are spending some hard earned cash and as a result you should be treated with manners. Is it that hard to say 'Thank You' LOL
Reply 13
Why did she ask if she was allowed to sell you that much coke?
Because sometimes there are restrictions on the number of items you can buy if they are included in an offer.

Fair enough, she could have been more polite, but honestly, after up to 10 hours sitting on a checkout, dealing with complaints which are usually out of your control (I've been shouted at because someone got a parking fine before, in a car park which doesn't belong to the supermarket...) you do get tired and grumpy. Little things, such as customers lying, can really tick you off when you're in that frame of mind.
Reply 14
Original post by pjm600
Why did you lie in the first place? Surely it was obvious that you were together and thus roused the suspicions of the cashier.

Why does it matter that I lied. Come on, its business. Why would you care if I bought a lot of items? Wouldn't you like to earn some cash LOL.

Furthermore, is she the manager or owner of the business? No.

I could understand if she was.
Reply 15
Original post by Gnome :)
Why did she ask if she was allowed to sell you that much coke?
Because sometimes there are restrictions on the number of items you can buy if they are included in an offer.

Fair enough, she could have been more polite, but honestly, after up to 10 hours sitting on a checkout, dealing with complaints which are usually out of your control (I've been shouted at because someone got a parking fine before, in a car park which doesn't belong to the supermarket...) you do get tired and grumpy. Little things, such as customers lying, can really tick you off when you're in that frame of mind.

Ok. Fair enough. How do you know shes worked there for more than 10 hours?

I have worked 10 hour shifts before and have I ever complained and been grumpy like her. No. Whats funny is that I work alone for 10 hours as I work in an off license. You dont have that protection you do at Sainsburys. Replenishing stock, preventing theft, dealing with customers is all dealt with me. Whats her excuse for being rude?
Why the **** did you lie in the first place? :lolwut: She probably thought something dodgy was going on.
Reply 17
Original post by clubber
Why does it matter that I lied. Come on, its business. Why would you care if I bought a lot of items? Wouldn't you like to earn some cash LOL.

Furthermore, is she the manager or owner of the business? No.

I could understand if she was.

It does matter. Obviously she knew you were together and that you were trying to hide that fact for some unknown reason. She probably noticed you were buying a large amount of coke and so suspected that there might be a limit on the amount of coke purchasable in one transaction.

Why did you lie? She made a mistake so she's retarded? I presume you've never worked.
Original post by madders94

The usuall rule is not to sell to much to one customer in case they tend to sell it on.

There are exceptions of course. One woman came in to the supermarket once and bought 20 tubs of butter. Usually we wouldn't have done this but it turns out she was cooking for Diwali which is why she bought that much.
Original post by clubber
Hi

I went to Sainsburys today to do some shopping. Bought a lot of Coke since they were on offer and also the fact that I had a party planned for the weekend. I went with my aunt and she too bought some coke.

We abviously went to the same cashier but she was in front of me and I was behind. The cashier served my aunt quite well and then she said to my aunt that she only bought 6 coke. Basically the cashier thought my trolley was my aunts as well (yes the cashiers retarded, I put the divider thing to indicate that my shopping was separate.)

I told the cashier that I never knew the person in front and that I came to do my own shopping. She then had the cheek to ask why my aunt was waiting. I said that I didn't know. Thats not it. This cashier even asked her colleagues if she was allowed to sell 6 bottles of coke even though she served my aunt without fault. After I paid she didn't say thank you or anything like that. I told her she lacked manners.

Who's at fault? I think the cashier. I clearly put a divider on the bay thingy to indicate that my shopping was separate. I also had my own trolley and so on. In addition to this, why should she care if I knew the person in front or not. I told her that I never knew the person in front, in case she did something stupid. I work in retail and always say please and thank you to any customers whether they are aggresive or not. It doesn't matter. A customer is still a customer, and I am very shocked to see that people like her are working there.

Funny thing is, a lot of my family members work there and she obviously doesn't know. I don't blame the Sainsburys branch, I blame the cashier. So rude.

What do you think? Was I at fault or was the cashier?

you're at fault.. she did nothing wrong.. she didnt understand who your aunt was since you pretended you didnt know her.. why exactly??.. and then asked why she was waiting there because she obviously thought your aunt was someone not associated with you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending