The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London - postgraduate offer holders 2013

Thought it would be useful to start a separate thread for postgraduate offer holders (Masters, PhD's etc.) starting September to discuss all things postgrad... applications, accommodation, open days, course mate finding...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,
I will be firming Kings (M.Sc Physics) if I don't get s call from Cambridge. :smile:
Just on the lookout for funds. Any scholarships or grants for international students would be highly helpful. :smile:

P.S : I am from India. :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Received an offer for MA in International Relations :biggrin: Will likely be firming it, just waiting to see what happens with LSE.
Reply 3
Brilliant thread.

Accepting my offer for MSc Public Services Policy & Management, I have till the end of this month to pay the deposit so just waiting for the exchange rate to get a bit more favourable.

Looking forward to Sept '13 :biggrin:
Reply 4
Does everyone have to pay a deposit? And if yes then what is the last date?
Reply 5
Original post by romil
Does everyone have to pay a deposit? And if yes then what is the last date?

I'm not sure about everyone, but I think you have to for most programmes. My last date is the 31st of March.
Reply 6
In my offer, there is no mention about the fee thing. Course - M.Sc Physics.
By the way, does anyone have any clue about employment prospects of M.Sc Physics, I mean if I opt for financial mathematics modules.
Reply 7
Just got an unconditional offer for the Intelligence and International Security course. I need to decide between that and Diplomacy at SOAS
Reply 8
GUys I need your help. What do you think, which one is better for KING's Master in International Relations or Internationla Public Policy at UCL
Original post by Applyer
GUys I need your help. What do you think, which one is better for KING's Master in International Relations or Internationla Public Policy at UCL

Nobody can tell you that as it entirely depends on what you want out of the course. You should really know that by now at postgraduate level.
MA Classics.

concerning deposits:
"In the School of Social Science and Public Policy, all applicants holding offers for admission to a postgraduate diploma or Master’s degree in 2013/14 are required to pay a deposit against the first year’s fee. Whether your offer is conditional or unconditional, this is payable when you accept the offer of a place."
Msc China & Globalization at the China Lau Institute. Hoping to get accom at either Stamford Street Apartments or The Rectory.

Where are you looking at for accom?
Original post by seniorcitizen
Msc China & Globalization at the China Lau Institute. Hoping to get accom at either Stamford Street Apartments or The Rectory.

Where are you looking at for accom?

reserved at gradpad, just in case I dont get into any of king's residences
Reply 13
Original post by Socto
Just got an unconditional offer for the Intelligence and International Security course. I need to decide between that and Diplomacy at SOAS

Hi Socto,
I received an offer for the Intelligence and International Security course as well. Thought I'd introduce myself! Have you made your decision yet?
Reply 14
Hey Guys-

I'm an international student from America; just received an offer for the Intel. and International Security program (M.A.). Anyone else doing the same program? If I am interested in living off-campus, where would ya'll recommend? Any specific areas to stay away from?
Reply 15
Original post by gspofford
Hi Socto,
I received an offer for the Intelligence and International Security course as well. Thought I'd introduce myself! Have you made your decision yet?

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the Intel course at KCL. I've messaged the department to see if it would be possible to speak to someone and have a look around the department as I went to an Open Day for SOAS last month but there isn't one scheduled for Kings. After that then I'll make my decision for definite.

About your accommodation question, I'm from London and I don't know if you have any knowledge of the workings of London but I live in far East London (Zone 5) near a Central Line station so its only 1 train and then a 5 minute walk from Holborn station to reach the Strand campus. The university is so centrally located (there are 7 different tube lines that have stops close to the university) that you can live in just about most of (North of the River) London and only have to take one train to get to classes. I don't know what your accommodation budget may be, but living close to the University will not be cheap, so I would heartily recommend moving to somewhere in Zones 2 or 3. Looking at the tube map, areas like Bethnal Green/Whitechapel/Mile End to the East or Stockwell/Oval/Kennington to the South would be where I would move to as they have decent enough rental prices, easy 1 train access to the university and a lively area with Stockwell being Little Portugal (great cafes and restaurants) and Bethnal Green being up the road from Shoreditch and Hoxton with some decent clubs and bars.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Socto

About your accommodation question, I'm from London and I don't know if you have any knowledge of the workings of London but I live in far East London (Zone 5) near a Central Line station so its only 1 train and then a 5 minute walk from Holborn station to reach the Strand campus. The university is so centrally located (there are 7 different tube lines that have stops close to the university) that you can live in just about most of (North of the River) London and only have to take one train to get to classes. I don't know what your accommodation budget may be, but living close to the University will not be cheap, so I would heartily recommend moving to somewhere in Zones 2 or 3. Looking at the tube map, areas like Bethnal Green/Whitechapel/Mile End to the East or Stockwell/Oval/Kennington to the South would be where I would move to as they have decent enough rental prices, easy 1 train access to the university and a lively area with Stockwell being Little Portugal (great cafes and restaurants) and Bethnal Green being up the road from Shoreditch and Hoxton with some decent clubs and bars.

Hey Socto,

Would the cost savings be significant if someone stays at Zone 2/3 instead of 1? I'm not too sure about this as I'm not from London or UK and have no clue how much transport will cost. For example, if Stamford Street Apartments and The Rectory costs £157/week
£120/week respectively, and say a Zone 2/3 room costs within £90-£120 with transportation being approximately £25/week (assuming £5 X 5 days), that means the net cost savings might not seem that significant given the extra time spent on commute.

On another note, how reliable is public transport? As a gauge, I wouldn't want a 30min commute to go upwards of 45min due to train/bus delays etc.

Apologies if my questions seem daft! Had no choice but to ask it here since I have no one else to turn to. Thanks loads for your assistance and I wouldn't mind meeting up for a drink or two when the time comes!
Reply 17
Original post by Socto
At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the Intel course at KCL. I've messaged the department to see if it would be possible to speak to someone and have a look around the department as I went to an Open Day for SOAS last month but there isn't one scheduled for Kings. After that then I'll make my decision for definite.

Thanks for the great info! Yeah, I've traveled Europe, but have never been to the UK before, so I'm pretty much clueless. I need to check out the locations that you described. Also, would you recommend living on or off-campus? I'm leaning toward off-campus living, but, I don't know what the "norm" is in London.

Thanks!
G
Original post by gspofford
Thanks for the great info! Yeah, I've traveled Europe, but have never been to the UK before, so I'm pretty much clueless. I need to check out the locations that you described. Also, would you recommend living on or off-campus? I'm leaning toward off-campus living, but, I don't know what the "norm" is in London.

Thanks!
G

There isn't really a 'campus' to speak of, but you'll probably want to try and find halls so you're with other students rather than finding somewhere to be alone or share with total strangers!

edit: unless you want to hook up with other users here :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by seniorcitizen
Hey Socto,

Would the cost savings be significant if someone stays at Zone 2/3 instead of 1? I'm not too sure about this as I'm not from London or UK and have no clue how much transport will cost. For example, if Stamford Street Apartments and The Rectory costs £157/week
£120/week respectively, and say a Zone 2/3 room costs within £90-£120 with transportation being approximately £25/week (assuming £5 X 5 days), that means the net cost savings might not seem that significant given the extra time spent on commute.

On another note, how reliable is public transport? As a gauge, I wouldn't want a 30min commute to go upwards of 45min due to train/bus delays etc.

Apologies if my questions seem daft! Had no choice but to ask it here since I have no one else to turn to. Thanks loads for your assistance and I wouldn't mind meeting up for a drink or two when the time comes!

Questions are always welcome, it's why we're all at TSR, to learn more about the choices we're gonna make and hopefully make the correct ones.

My earlier advice was tailored towards Gspofford asking about living privately off campus. That's why I recommended Zone 2/3 for living as you can commute in a short time without having to be in zone 5 like I am (40 minute tube in and 5 minute walk to get to the Strand) The Northern Line train takes less than 10 minutes to get from Stockwell to central and the District line takes 15 minutes from Mile End.

Transport is more reliable than it has ever been. The tube works great and gone are the days of having only 3 out of 13 lines working due to engineering works. I can't remember the last time my train was delayed by more than 5 minutes MAX. It just isn't that common. Buses on the other hand are subject to the whims of roadworks and breakdowns so are a little less reliable, but even they have improved from the days before the congestion charge where it was actually quicker to walk down Oxford Street than it was to take a bus.

The price of living is drastically higher in central for example

-chewing gum will cost you 75p when it costs 40p everywhere else
- a tube trip between only 1 station in zone 1 costs 2.10 but costs 1.60 in zone 2 and beyond
- there are no massive supermarkets within central London as there's no space so they are all small express stores, limiting what groceries you can buy.
- you cant buy a ticket on the bus in central London, you have to buy one before you get on, which can be massively inconvenient if you're running late anywhere, whilst outside central you can just hop on and pay right there.

But, in saying all that, halls are always gonna be cheaper than living privately, especially in Central London so if you want to live in halls by all means go for it, you'll meet loads of KCL students and be able to make an instant connection, save money on travel (if you walk or bike to uni) and accommodation, have a safe, reliable environment and will live close to the university. If I had to, I really wouldn't mind living in halls as to use myself as an example I study best at home, lcoked in my room with my books, if I need a book desperately come essay and exam revision time, then I'm pretty much screwed without having to take 2 hours out of my day to get it, whereas living in halls its a brief jog down to the library and back home again. But I would still prefer private accomodation as I'm pretty much past the stage of fire extinguisher races, burnt toast setting off the fire alarms every day and impromptu excuses to wear costumes and get drunk lol...

I'd be more than up for a drink sometime when we all start

Quick Reply

Latest