The Student Room Group

MSc Social Research/Sociology

Hello everyone,

I applied for the MRes "Sociology & Research Methods" at the University of Glasgow and for the "Social Research" course at the University of Edinburgh. IF I get offers it would be hard for me to decide which programme to choose.
My question: could anyone tell me something about Sociology at Glasgow or Edinburgh Uni?
I would be very happy for any personal experience / opinion.
My second question: which (other) University is well known for Sociology (except Oxbridge)? I know this is very subjective, but I would just like to "meet" other sociology students.
TIA
Reply 1
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is quite strong in sociology, and off the top of my head Bristol, Bath, Warwick, Durham etc are as well. Have you looked at the various league tables online? They might help too.
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you very much!
Yes, I looked at the guardian ranking in the first place and chose Glasgow because of that. I just don't know how much I can trust the league tables :smile:
I think I am going to apply for Warwick as well (I am late, I know).
Thanks.
Reply 3
No problem, sorry I don't know more about Edinburgh and Glasgow, and good luck with applications! If summer exams go well I'll hopefully be doing BSc in Sociology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by iommi
No problem, sorry I don't know more about Edinburgh and Glasgow, and good luck with applications! If summer exams go well I'll hopefully be doing BSc in Sociology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good luck to you!! I am finishing my BSc in social sciences (in germany) and even though I liked political science, I really enjoyed sociology and social research! Where do you want to go for your Bsc?
Reply 5
Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, why are you studying in Germany? I've got offers from LSE, Bristol and Bath (so may have been a bit biased when recommending them earlier haha!). Yeah, the political side of sociology is one of the most interesting, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Because I am german :smile:
I know LSE has an excellent international reputation for political science and sociology, you must be very happy! It's just freakin' expensive :frown:
Reply 7
That would make sense then haha :ahee:
Yeah LSE/living in London will be expensive enough even with a student loan, must be crazy without one!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending