The Student Room Group

Is Religious Studies a good option to pick for GCSE?

Just want to know your opinions. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
surprised your school haven't made it compulsory, most schools do. its a ridiculously easy GCSE, you just write a load of waffle in the exam and get a free A*/A
Currently taking on RS GCSE. It's an extremely interesting course for both religious believers and staunch atheists alike (though if you're the latter, the 'Revelation and Enlightenment' topic will make you want to hang yourself :tongue:) and if you have a half decent teacher it can become a lovely subject in terms of debating and learning stuff outside the syllabus. It's not easy, exactly, but if you're naturally good at arguing then you should get through the exams fine. The actual concepts, like the Cosmological and Teleological arguments and certain laws/concepts of Christianity, are pretty easy to pick up.

But Philosophy and Ethics focuses almost solely on Christianity. If you want to experience different religions, do the World Religions course.
I have to agree, its a ridiculously easy GCSE, our class did pretty much no work for two years and the majority of people came out with at least a B grade.
Reply 4
Original post by theywaitalone
Currently taking on RS GCSE. It's an extremely interesting course for both religious believers and staunch atheists alike (though if you're the latter, the 'Revelation and Enlightenment' topic will make you want to hang yourself :tongue:) and if you have a half decent teacher it can become a lovely subject in terms of debating and learning stuff outside the syllabus. It's not easy, exactly, but if you're naturally good at arguing then you should get through the exams fine. The actual concepts, like the Cosmological and Teleological arguments and certain laws/concepts of Christianity, are pretty easy to pick up.

But Philosophy and Ethics focuses almost solely on Christianity. If you want to experience different religions, do the World Religions course.

Thanks, this answer is really helpful. :biggrin:
I would argue against the 'easy GCSE' comments. There is a hell of a lot of work on my course which you have to know, but a lot of things like Catechism, bible, Jesus, all cover loads of topics.
It's a good laugh and really interesting-especially the life and death part of the course (that's less a laugh, more interesting) also, of you do Edexcel unit 3 you watch at least 4 films :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daemonium
Thanks, this answer is really helpful. :biggrin:

Glad to help! :smile: The references to it being 'easy' are slightly correct but not quite. Content is quite low, and, in the case of Ethics (not so much Philosophy), if you watch the news and have even a slight interest in current affairs/politics you can probably bull**** the paper and at least hit a B. But the grade boundaries are ridiculously high - 90% at least.
if you're saying its not an easy gcse that's because your other subjects are probably photography/mediastudies etc. also I always thought it was compulsory said by the government right? iduno ^^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by MusicMaestro97
I would argue against the 'easy GCSE' comments. There is a hell of a lot of work on my course which you have to know, but a lot of things like Catechism, bible, Jesus, all cover loads of topics.
It's a good laugh and really interesting-especially the life and death part of the course (that's less a laugh, more interesting) also, of you do Edexcel unit 3 you watch at least 4 films :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :smile: It sounds quite fun.
Reply 9
I guess so, but I just found it incredibly boring. The one I did (assuming you're doing a different syllabus) was about ethics and what different religions thought about abortion, marriage and so on.

I would rather have discussed the beliefs in god and the arguments for them, but I guess the former syllabus is more useful to learn about.
Reply 10
Glad to help! :smile: The references to it being 'easy' are slightly correct but not quite. Content is quite low, and, in the case of Ethics (not so much Philosophy), if you watch the news and have even a slight interest in current affairs/politics you can probably bull**** the paper and at least hit a B. But the grade boundaries are ridiculously high - 90% at least.

I am interested in Religion despite being an Atheist and like you said, I'm naturally good at arguing. :wink: Haha, so I think its the subject for me. What are you predicted to get in your RE GCSE?
I think you should do it.

In year ten I completely ignored the subject. I didn't bother to revise and scraped along at the back of the class colouring in worksheets with a highlighter pen.

I still managed to do quite well in the year ten exams (an A* and a B) so when I came back in year eleven I decided to try and invest a little time in it.

I was amazed by how open the subject is. Yes, it's quite easy to get a good grade with minimal revision, but you can also really run away with it from a more philosophical perspective. Think about it, the study of religion is probably one of the most ancient subjects you can take!

I retook the B and ended up with full marks in that paper, as well an in my year eleven topics. So, in conclusion, you should take it. Case closed. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by The Good Egg
I think you should do it.

In year ten I completely ignored the subject. I didn't bother to revise and scraped along at the back of the class colouring in worksheets with a highlighter pen.

I still managed to do quite well in the year ten exams (an A* and a B) so when I came back in year eleven I decided to try and invest a little time in it.

I was amazed by how open the subject is. Yes, it's quite easy to get a good grade with minimal revision, but you can also really run away with it from a more philosophical perspective. Think about it, the study of religion is probably one of the most ancient subjects you can take!

I retook the B and ended up with full marks in that paper, as well an in my year eleven topics. So, in conclusion, you should take it. Case closed. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Yes, it's a massive doss.
Original post by daemonium
I am interested in Religion despite being an Atheist and like you said, I'm naturally good at arguing. :wink: Haha, so I think its the subject for me. What are you predicted to get in your RE GCSE?

By all means, go for it! I'm an agnostic atheist, but the course has still interested me - ethics is more interesting than philosophy though, you get topics like drugs, sex and sexuality, discrimination, euthanasia, medical technology...it's awesome.

I'm predicted an A* :biggrin: But English and RS are my subjects - pretty useful for hopeful future journalist! I usually get full marks on the ethics papers, just because I find the topics interesting. Philosophy's more hit and miss - some topics are epic (science and religion, afterlife), others...well...(characteristics of god, revelation and enlightenment).
I'd say go for it :smile: I do OCR Philosophy and Ethics, with a focus on Christianity and whilst I'd like to explore all the religions, I do find the debating and thinking side of it all fascinating, and the Ethics is sooo interesting! Also it's rather amusing at times, and leaves you with a really good insight on life...ik that sounds rather deep haha, but it's true! and it's not soft at all! Philosophy a level is a real brain puncher!
Original post by JessicaGarlai
if you're saying its not an easy gcse that's because your other subjects are probably photography/mediastudies etc. also I always thought it was compulsory said by the government right? iduno ^^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well thanks for that.
Drama was my 'easy' GCSE but triple science plus 3 languages and additional Maths, also all subjects at higher tier, doesn't really add up to photography/media studies. All I was saying was that it involves work as there is a hell of a lot on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
By all means, go for it! I'm an agnostic atheist, but the course has still interested me - ethics is more interesting than philosophy though, you get topics like drugs, sex and sexuality, discrimination, euthanasia, medical technology...it's awesome.

I'm predicted an A* :biggrin: But English and RS are my subjects - pretty useful for hopeful future journalist! I usually get full marks on the ethics papers, just because I find the topics interesting. Philosophy's more hit and miss - some topics are epic (science and religion, afterlife), others...well...(characteristics of god, revelation and enlightenment).

Awesome, best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Acruzen
surprised your school haven't made it compulsory, most schools do. its a ridiculously easy GCSE, you just write a load of waffle in the exam and get a free A*/A

The short course worth half a GCSE is, the full GCSE is harder. Wouldn't say it's easy A*/A- I got A on the full course and E on the half course as the half was the first GCSE I ever did and spent way too long/too much detail on the questions (completed 2 out of 5).

You can't retake it either because you need a year between the two (WJEC exam board).

My GCSE RE averaged out at C because of short course exam O_0

But to answer OP question, it was the best GCSE I ever did and was really interesting. Lots of debate/discussion sessions and videos to watch
Reply 19
Yes it's definitely a good option!
Full course Religious Studies is compulsory at my school (we're a Christian school), and we do the OCR B Philosophy and Applied Ethics course (our school starts us midway through Year 9, I'm now midway through year 10). It's really interesting, and relevant today. I'm not a believer myself but it's widened my views as although the course mainly focusses on Christianity (well ours does anyway) our teacher always covers the same topic but from the viewpoint of another religion. And you get to mention your own viewpoints to access higher marks as well. I would definitely not say it's a free A*/A to whoever said that, because you have to work goddamn hard to get those grades, as boundaries are high. It's a lot of hard work but we were told it will look good in the future as it shows you can argue your points (OCR e) questions require this in essence) and keep a lot of points compacted into a *relatively* short answer. (As in, you have to make sure you back up all your points and don't write too much.) It also adds breadth to your subjects. I think it's a great option, because if it hadn't been compulsory for me I probably wouldn't have picked it as the image of Religious Studies isn't great in the minds of today's young people (including myself) but I'm learning a lot which I wouldn't have gained otherwise. My view of Religious Studies has changed dramatically since January 2012 when I started the course. Pick it, go for it, if you don't like it then just try your best and at the end you'll be able to say you have a GCSE in Religious Studies which is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending