The Student Room Group

A level choices dilemma

The A level choices I have made are:
Psychology
English Literature
Biology
Geography
So I was thinking of taking up a fifth A level, I don't really like the topics in A level history, so maybe I should do history of art. Is this a good idea, or should I just leave my choices! Please, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Only do a fifth if you really like the subject. If you don't feel challenged with four A-Levels, but don't know what to do for a fifth subject, do the EPQ.
Reply 2
Obviously i don't know how smart or capable you are. If you feel you can do this then sure go for it, but that is A LOT of work! You usually only need 3 A levels. I'm currently doing 4 but i think any more than 4 is unnecessary unless you want to go to cambridge/oxford. Just don't take on too many and risk failing them all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Reply 4
Did exactly the same choices except for English lit I had English Language... Anyway English Biology and Psych both interlink and go really well together! I'm at A2 now and I've dropped Geography, I did like it, kinda regret dropping it since my English teacher this year is so ****... Anyway, if I were you I'd stick to 4 and get good grades in those than stretch out to 5 it's already gonna be more work than you imagine and most unis would prefer 3 good grades than 5 mediocre ones.
Feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What would be your opinion on choosing between history of art and geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SEanYY
What would be your opinion on choosing between history of art and geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally geography - just cause I enjoyed it and I'd think it sounds more academic. But my opinion doesn't matter, it should be the subject you enjoy so that you can willingly spend your evenings revising etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The workload of 5 A levels is great, unless you really like or need the 5th subjects (you really want to do it, rather than i could do) don't.
Reply 8
I am really siding towards history of art for an A level.
But would it look as good as geography on a UCAS form?
I want to go to a Russell Group university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SEanYY
I am really siding towards history of art for an A level.
But would it look as good as geography on a U-cast form?
I want to go to a Russell Group university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case I'd say take the one which you think you'd get a better grade in. Look at where'd your strengths are, I'd imagine history of art is an essay based subject (I never took it) so if you're an essay person then there's your answer. Geography is more of a science subject (not really but kind of) and for me it made a nice addition to my UCAS as Ive applied for a science course (Bsc Psychology) - plus at AS its quite easy in comparison to what youll be doing in Biology and Psychology.
Reading uni (my lowest choice at the moment) even lowered my offer conditions from AAB to ABB because i have an A at AS geography. Some russel group unis want a 4th AS (like UCL, I've applied there too) while other russel groups only want 3 A levels.
So last advice, I'd say look at the potential unis you'd like to apply to (hopefully) and read their requirements about qualifications (read the small print too!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Was AS Geography not difficult to learn with psychology and biology due to the amount of case studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by SEanYY
Was AS Geography not difficult to learn with psychology and biology due to the amount of case studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think the way our teacher hammered everything in our brain it was impossible to forget anything :biggrin: (i still hear his voice echoing in my head :eek:)
i personally dont think it was that difficult, even when i didnt do geo at GCSE (if you did, then people tell me its more or less the same) and kind of a relief from bio and psychology which require a more logical and analytical brain. geo was mostly memorising, and doing papers over and over and over over again till they were perfect, but then again i think that was my teachers hardcore method that got me my A
plus, im geography (edexcel at least) you only had one main case study for each topic and that was enough for me to know (but i knew them well) only unit 2 was more difficult with all the investigation techniques (since our field trip didnt go as planned...)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Psychology is by far the best subject I took. It is so much fun. As for English Lit I would chose photography instead as unis don't really see english as a proper subject.
Reply 13
Original post by Brazzers
Psychology is by far the best subject I took. It is so much fun. As for English Lit I would chose photography instead as unis don't really see english as a proper subject.

I've heard they like English lit (over language) and overall because its a a heavy written/essay subject and requires a critical mind... Plus... Photography is a 'proper' subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Orenjichan
I've heard they like English lit (over language) and overall because its a a heavy written/essay subject and requires a critical mind... Plus... Photography is a 'proper' subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like your elitist attitude. However, in recent years photography has been ascending through the ranks of the prestigious subjects and is now recognised as one of the more admirable choices such as physics, maths and chemistry. This is predominantly due to the fact that it does require huge amounts of concentration, time and creativity which is exactly what employers are looking for, making it a perfect choice of course if you are looking to get into a decent uni.
Reply 15
Original post by Brazzers
I don't like your elitist attitude. However, in recent years photography has been ascending through the ranks of the prestigious subjects and is now recognised as one of the more admirable choices such as physics, maths and chemistry. This is predominantly due to the fact that it does require huge amounts of concentration, time and creativity which is exactly what employers are looking for, making it a perfect choice of course if you are looking to get into a decent uni.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound elitist :P I've always thought that English = essays and Unis = a lot of essays (maybe not as useful when working strictly), plus having good writing skills is always good.
Apart from that I was just wondering how it'd fit with OPs other choices (Bio and Psych especially). But I think you're right in the extent that I'd make a good 4th subject, maybe even better if combined with history of art if OP wants to head in that direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest