The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Computer Science GCSE b

Hi,
I emailed Nottingham about applying for Computer Science in adjustment without grade b GCSE mathematics (grade c). The reply given to me was a clear no. Although I'd meet all the other requirements and possibly excel in them.

Have Nottingham always been strict with the B in GCSE mathematics, seems a bit steep receiving a straight no when I obtain a c.

Sorry for poor grammar using BlackBerry playbook
Reply 1
Anyone
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
BUMP, Anyone
Reply 3
When I emailed them they said gcse C is fine. What subjects do you do?
Reply 4
Original post by yodawg321
When I emailed them they said gcse C is fine. What subjects do you do?

College course.
http://vvcap.net/db/rC03AEE1oQBgG8KelgIV.htp
Reply 5

Thats weird, on the website it says one science subject OR gcse maths :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Thats weird, on the website it says one science subject OR gcse maths :s-smilie:

Required subjects: one A level science subject (maths or computer science preferred) or GCSE maths grade B

Well if you are doing A levels then you are able to get around it I guess as long as you have chosen either of the above a levels. Unfortunately I'm doing a college course. Therefore that is not applicable for me : (
Reply 7
Original post by Maths94
Required subjects: one A level science subject (maths or computer science preferred) or GCSE maths grade B

Well if you are doing A levels then you are able to get around it I guess as long as you have chosen either of the above a levels. Unfortunately I'm doing a college course. Therefore that is not applicable for me : (

Aw unlucky man, just got an email from then saying I could do it and I don't have B in maths OR alevel maths
Reply 8
Aw unlucky man, just got an email from then saying I could do it and I don't have B in maths OR alevel maths

yo, could you pm me with print screens of the emails you sent and the replies you got. Maybe I got a prick of a replier haha

thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Maths94
yo, could you pm me with print screens of the emails you sent and the replies you got. Maybe I got a prick of a replier haha

thanks

Hi Guys

Just came across your thread and I'm in the exact same situation I also applied at Nottingham for CS and they asked for Grade B GCSE but due to the time-frame of my course it wasn't possible for me to undertake Maths. I have met all other requirements, so what happened with your application.

Many Thanks

Naf
Reply 10
Original post by naf786
Hi Guys

Just came across your thread and I'm in the exact same situation I also applied at Nottingham for CS and they asked for Grade B GCSE but due to the time-frame of my course it wasn't possible for me to undertake Maths. I have met all other requirements, so what happened with your application.

Many Thanks

Naf

Hey,

I also had all other entry requirements, however they had no interest whatsoever in my application since i didn't meet the minimum requirement of grade B in mathematics. It seemed none-negotiable. However, since then i have applied to the University of Newcastle who also require mathematics grade B, but they made an exception of that allowing me in with a C. I may struggle as the course does look pretty mathematical but I'll be doing some revision over the holidays. So, I suggest you give Newcastle a try.
Reply 11
Original post by Maths94
Hey,

I also had all other entry requirements, however they had no interest whatsoever in my application since i didn't meet the minimum requirement of grade B in mathematics. It seemed none-negotiable. However, since then i have applied to the University of Newcastle who also require mathematics grade B, but they made an exception of that allowing me in with a C. I may struggle as the course does look pretty mathematical but I'll be doing some revision over the holidays. So, I suggest you give Newcastle a try.

Thanks for the reply, As I have been out of education for a long time I haven't got GCSE Maths (I'm 23). I was meant to take it as part of my Access course but due to the time-frame is wasn't possible. Currently I have the University of Lincoln as my insurance as they accept GCSE equivalent which I do have. Its a real shame as I wanted to go to Nottingham oh well not the end of the world lol
Reply 12
Original post by naf786
Thanks for the reply, As I have been out of education for a long time I haven't got GCSE Maths (I'm 23). I was meant to take it as part of my Access course but due to the time-frame is wasn't possible. Currently I have the University of Lincoln as my insurance as they accept GCSE equivalent which I do have. Its a real shame as I wanted to go to Nottingham oh well not the end of the world lol

Oh, you're 23 which may be titled as a mature student. The situation may be different for you, if you've been made an offer then you should be fine. They already know your grades. Contact the admissions team via email, they'll inform you of what you want to know.
Reply 13
I know that it's two years ago, but I want to know what happened. Have you settled at your university doing what you wanted (CS) at Newcastle or else where. I'm in exactly the same boat as you, despite achieving mostly B's at GCSEs I didn't get the A in maths due to limited ambition and wanting to follow the law route. I changed my mind and decided to stick with Computer Science. Any kind words of advice to give me please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending