The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Anybody sitting this exam? A lot of people on TSR seem to be on AQA for Law which surprises me as I always thought OCR were a better board.

I'm sitting on around 92% UMS after AS and the Insanity/Automatism special study, so I'm hoping to keep that up for an A* in summer. I can't help but feel like this exam is more of a memory test than a proper exam though. :rolleyes:

We're coming towards the end of the syllabus now I believe, we are starting the defence of self-defence (in relation to offences against the person) tomorrow and then we have to do property offences and then it's down to revision.

How is everybody finding it? I feel like it's much more interesting than AS. I've already began revision and if anybody is struggling I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Criminal-Law-Jacqueline-Martin/dp/1444164015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363639119&sr=8-1

It's officially endorsed by OCR and my teacher uses a lot of material from it, it's really useful. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jool, any tips on how you did so well in insanity? I was expecting well, but got a d! What did you include to do so well.

We are in the same place on the course, and yes its way better than AS! Any ideas of what will come up in June?
:smile:
Hi I'm doing this exam as well as the insanity/automatism special study as I got a B in that in jan. Currently on 90% ums overall but resitting so I an get that A*. Any tips for the special study as I just scraped a B.
Reply 3
I got an A in the special study exam. What i found quite helpful was the revision guide made buy zig zag education which my law teacher gave us all.It would be expensive for just you but even the preview give you pretty clear guidance. I just made sure that the essay question was very detailed covering most problem with the law. I found that quoting the Law comissions recent scoping paper went well for me or if you dont want to quote it just reading it is good to get an idea of the problems with the law. Also Q1 in June is likely to be on either Quick or Burgess so i'd focus on those seeming as Bratty came up in Jan and they use Sullivan as their example in the special study guide so they won't give you that one. Umm yeahh that pretty much everything.
Original post by sazzle11
I got an A in the special study exam. What i found quite helpful was the revision guide made buy zig zag education which my law teacher gave us all.It would be expensive for just you but even the preview give you pretty clear guidance. I just made sure that the essay question was very detailed covering most problem with the law. I found that quoting the Law comissions recent scoping paper went well for me or if you dont want to quote it just reading it is good to get an idea of the problems with the law. Also Q1 in June is likely to be on either Quick or Burgess so i'd focus on those seeming as Bratty came up in Jan and they use Sullivan as their example in the special study guide so they won't give you that one. Umm yeahh that pretty much everything.

Thanks so much. Good luck with your exams.
Reply 5
Original post by isaac1995
Jool, any tips on how you did so well in insanity? I was expecting well, but got a d! What did you include to do so well.

We are in the same place on the course, and yes its way better than AS! Any ideas of what will come up in June?
:smile:

I didn't do anything different to usual, just revise a lot! Lots of cases to illustrate and justification for your points, treat the examiner as if they don't know anything, presume that they've never heard anything about it before. Also specifically for the special study make sure you make reference back to the source and use quotes. As to what I think might come up in June, I don't tend to really speculate on stuff like that and just revise everything equally so I have an equal chance of anything that may crop up, I'm too cautious to leave things out of my revision. To be honest, I was really surprised I got so high in the special study as I felt as though I really messed up the Bratty Q1 as I was totally unprepared for it.

Original post by ArsenalWenger
Hi I'm doing this exam as well as the insanity/automatism special study as I got a B in that in jan. Currently on 90% ums overall but resitting so I an get that A*. Any tips for the special study as I just scraped a B.

See above! :smile:

Original post by sazzle11

Good advice from sazzle11, however remember for Q1 that it could be asked from a Hennessy point of view, requiring pretty much the same as a Quick Q1 but just reversed. :smile:
Hey guys what are the main topics for this exam. A lot of chapters in the book and I don't think I'd have time to revise them all, I'm aware we have a choice of questions in the exams, so i'm thinking of leaving about 3 chapters out. Basically which topics are most likely to appear?
Reply 7
Hey guys what are the main topics for this exam. A lot of chapters in the book and I don't think I'd have time to revise them all, I'm aware we have a choice of questions in the exams, so i'm thinking of leaving about 3 chapters out. Basically which topics are most likely to appear?

you really can't leave 3 chapters out! The problem is that the problem question and dilemma board will be a mix of the topics so a dilemma board might have one statement to do with non fatal offences and then another for the defence of consent etc so there's no room to miss out chapter unfortunately. Our school miss out strict liability though as they said you can afford to miss out one topic and that one is the one that they've found has least likely to come up and they've done it for years and never had any problems but other than that you really should revise everything.
Reply 8
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can provide help as to how exactly to revise effectively for such a large (and important) exam, as others have pointed out it seems like a bit of a memory test and there certainly is a lot to remember! Mine is split into 17 booklets - 16 if we omit Strict Liability. So, how would you all recommend to revise for it?
Reply 9
Original post by Avvocato
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can provide help as to how exactly to revise effectively for such a large (and important) exam, as others have pointed out it seems like a bit of a memory test and there certainly is a lot to remember! Mine is split into 17 booklets - 16 if we omit Strict Liability. So, how would you all recommend to revise for it?

I'd try to condense your notes, I retype all of my notes from class and then try to shorten them to as little as possible handwritten, so it's effectively like trigger words for cases and knowledge, similar to how public speakers do.
Original post by jool
Anybody sitting this exam? A lot of people on TSR seem to be on AQA for Law which surprises me as I always thought OCR were a better board.

I'm sitting on around 92% UMS after AS and the Insanity/Automatism special study, so I'm hoping to keep that up for an A* in summer. I can't help but feel like this exam is more of a memory test than a proper exam though. :rolleyes:

We're coming towards the end of the syllabus now I believe, we are starting the defence of self-defence (in relation to offences against the person) tomorrow and then we have to do property offences and then it's down to revision.

How is everybody finding it? I feel like it's much more interesting than AS. I've already began revision and if anybody is struggling I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Criminal-Law-Jacqueline-Martin/dp/1444164015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363639119&sr=8-1

It's officially endorsed by OCR and my teacher uses a lot of material from it, it's really useful. :smile:

Hi I'm also on around 92% UMS and got 77/80 on the special study. I'm finding revising for this last exam really difficult especially with the second and third questions in the exam. I was just wondering if anyone knew what topics are likely to come up and if there are any which aren't likely to come up?
Reply 11
Original post by curtisblackham
Hi I'm also on around 92% UMS and got 77/80 on the special study. I'm finding revising for this last exam really difficult especially with the second and third questions in the exam. I was just wondering if anyone knew what topics are likely to come up and if there are any which aren't likely to come up?

You can't really risk not revising for any topics as all of them could come up as rather an essay, a problem question or even part of a question 3, you've got plenty of time so just try to condense your notes as much as possible. :smile: Also if you're not too bothered about an A*, just remember that you don't need to worry too much as if you only want an A you've got quite a bit of pressure taken off for the final exam due to your marks thus far. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

We have been told to only leave one topic out, so I'm leaving strict liability out as it is so dull!

I just need 70% in this exam to get an overall A, I was going for an A* but I missed up the special studies and only got a B 58/80! Can't be bothered doing it again though, too much pressure in the summer. How is everyone revising for this? I'm basically just memorizing the OCR book, going through the different topics, but the reform and problems is the worst bit, but it's like half the marks on the 50 mark essay!
Just as a little help for anyone who is doing G154 special study in the summer: I got an A (80/80) in January and I 100% agree with people above when they say the zigzag book helped them. It costs, but the preview is free which you can get by clicking on the right hand side "preview" button next to "ordering details" on here http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/4802-G154-2013-insanity-automatism.asp and it basically gives a run down of each case. Since Bratty came up in January, Quick/Burgess are the likely cases to be used on Q1 so revise these inside out. Q2 should be focussed on insanity since there's not as much to write 34 marks on for automatism (which makes me think Q1 is more likely to be Quick- a case that should've been automatism- since insanity on Q2 allows you to display more knowledge which is what they want). Q3 was the hardest for me (and most people in my class) so I practised these to death- the zig zag preview has a break down of how to structure them. Unfortunately I wrote my notes by hand in January so can't provide attachments but I hope that has helped. Good luck to everyone! :smile:

As for G153, how is everyone doing? I'm aiming for an A* (need 100/120 as well as 96/120 on my G151 resit I'll be doing) but would be happy with an A (90/120). We've just finished all topics but haven't done any practise essays (set our first one as homework over this Easter half term, so I'm only starting revision as of next week). Our teacher told us that strict liability was a good question to do as it's really easy to get the marks, but I wasn't aware we could miss out topics at all :/ Looking at past papers, and considering the length of the topic, I'm thinking that theft should come up- anybody agree/have their own opinions? :smile:
Reply 14
Totally agree with feeling infinite. i'm really hoping omissions/ intoxication comes up as a essay question as i particularly like those topics but i agree that theft seems likely. does anyone know what came up in jan 2013?
Reply 15
Original post by feelinginfinite
Just as a little help for anyone who is doing G154 special study in the summer: I got an A (80/80) in January and I 100% agree with people above when they say the zigzag book helped them. It costs, but the preview is free which you can get by clicking on the right hand side "preview" button next to "ordering details" on here http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/4802-G154-2013-insanity-automatism.asp and it basically gives a run down of each case. Since Bratty came up in January, Quick/Burgess are the likely cases to be used on Q1 so revise these inside out. Q2 should be focussed on insanity since there's not as much to write 34 marks on for automatism (which makes me think Q1 is more likely to be Quick- a case that should've been automatism- since insanity on Q2 allows you to display more knowledge which is what they want). Q3 was the hardest for me (and most people in my class) so I practised these to death- the zig zag preview has a break down of how to structure them. Unfortunately I wrote my notes by hand in January so can't provide attachments but I hope that has helped. Good luck to everyone! :smile:

As for G153, how is everyone doing? I'm aiming for an A* (need 100/120 as well as 96/120 on my G151 resit I'll be doing) but would be happy with an A (90/120). We've just finished all topics but haven't done any practise essays (set our first one as homework over this Easter half term, so I'm only starting revision as of next week). Our teacher told us that strict liability was a good question to do as it's really easy to get the marks, but I wasn't aware we could miss out topics at all :/ Looking at past papers, and considering the length of the topic, I'm thinking that theft should come up- anybody agree/have their own opinions? :smile:

Do you have your zig zag insanity book for sale?
Original post by isaac1995
Do you have your zig zag insanity book for sale?

Sorry, no. My teacher ordered them for the entire class (the school funded the money for it), so I've gave mine to someone who is resitting already. The "book" is more of a booklet by the way (pieces of paper printed off- not a real book), so the preview is pretty good to use if you can't afford to order the real thing :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by feelinginfinite
Sorry, no. My teacher ordered them for the entire class (the school funded the money for it), so I've gave mine to someone who is resitting already. The "book" is more of a booklet by the way (pieces of paper printed off- not a real book), so the preview is pretty good to use if you can't afford to order the real thing :smile:

Oh ok, thank you!
Reply 18
So anyone have any predictions for what will come up in Q1, Q2 and what the scenarios will be on? Ive been looking but not luck!
Reply 19
I reckon Q1 will be on either Quick or Burgess and Q2 maybe just insanity again or both. but Q3 could really be anything. I didnt really no how to approach Q3 and thats where i lost a few marks. any suggestion from the poeple that did quite well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending