The Student Room Group

Am I really weird for not social networking?

I just feel it is not real and cheapens studd, it seems supperficial. It could work for or against me, but I have no social networking.

Bad for finding a partner and all? Weird?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, could even feel insecure about potential relationships etc because of it. I think it's too distorting and envy producing.
Reply 2
Ignore him, he had too much hand lubing today.
Reply 3
I dont really understand it.

To me it seems like a bunch of people trying to convince a bunch of people, only a minority of whom they actually like, that they're really enjoying life.

If you're enjoying life good for you but just smoke the pipe and enjoy it dont spoil it by checking for status updates and counting 'likes'
Original post by Choristers
I dont really understand it.

To me it seems like a bunch of people trying to convince a bunch of people, only a minority of whom they actually like, that they're really enjoying life.

If you're enjoying life good for you but just smoke the pipe and enjoy it dont spoil it by checking for status updates and counting 'likes'

Well I must be the exception to this rule. I dont always post or blag or 'convince' people how perfect my life is, far from it. I do whinge, moan, bitch, be angry, sad, upset, confused, excited, delighted, neutral etc...people seem to see social networking as a popularity contest imo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Gladbags2012
Well I must be the exception to this rule. I dont always post or blag or 'convince' people how perfect my life is, far from it. I do whinge, moan, bitch, be angry, sad, upset, confused, excited, delighted, neutral etc...people seem to see social networking as a popularity contest imo.

It's just that it's sort of public, like twitter. How much do you want to put ona site that your sibling, parents etc can see? And how much self promotion?
Facebook you can do for keeping intouch but it is not very private.
I suppose I just feel I might have missed out on more real social life and freinds by it, maybe i'm too self contained.
Original post by Anonymous
C'mon it is serious.

Yeah, very.
Reply 7
I just feel it is not real and cheapens studd, it seems supperficial. It could work for or against me, but I have no social networking.

Bad for finding a partner and all? Weird?

Also, could even feel insecure about potential relationships etc because of it. I think it's too distorting and envy producing.

No, not at all plenty of people don't
Reply 8
Original post by ed11e
No, not at all plenty of people don't

I think some people are compromising real relationships because of it, but also seemingly don;t mind this.
The obsession with social networks is worrying. Newspapers are reporting on Twitter status updates all the time now.

It's only a matter of time before Facebook accounts are issued to babies like birth certificates are.
Original post by Wilfred Little
The obsession with social networks is worrying. Newspapers are reporting on Twitter status updates all the time now.

It's only a matter of time before Facebook accounts are issued to babies like birth certificates are.

#thisistrue
Reply 11
Also, anyone like a doctor, or a real sportsman, doesn;t tend to have much time to do it.
I know docs not on facebook and defo not twitter. Tbh I wouldn;t trust my doc if they were.
Reply 12
The vast majority of people our age do facebook, etc, so it is abnormal not to have any, but not weird.

I don't do social networking either. You're as cool as me, op.
Reply 13
I'm older tbh, a bit. Also, the thing that sucks about iti s that if you have a new freind or something valuable to you, then all old ones, and everyone can see it and i'd rather it was private.
Reply 14
I am not using my Facebook or Twitter account :smile: no regrets!
Reply 15
I agree with you, I have tried to use social networking but if I really want to talk to real friends, not some random i've met online, I will phone / email / text them. Social networking causes too much problems
Yeah, I would say it is.

And I don't use social networking either :smile:
Reply 17
For me websites like twitter aren't really that sociable. They are basically a stage to show everyone your life. Nobody properly talks to one another on it.

I miss the msn and piczo days. Those were glorious times.
It's just that it's sort of public, like twitter. How much do you want to put o na site that your sibling, parents etc can see? And how much self promotion?
Facebook you can do for keeping intouch but it is not very private.
I suppose I just feel I might have missed out on more real social life and freinds by it, maybe i'm too self contained.

I don't post everything about my life. I can be very selective about what I post. For example I keep my professional life off Social Networking completely. How many people have been sacked because they blagged on their wall about how much they hate their work and colleague for example? Also, I have some health issues which I don't want to share with family (or anyone else for that matter - on or offline.
Reply 19
Its not weird I actually rate you and find it quite refreshing that as a individual you don't want to be sheep like everyone and jump on the social network hype of facebook and twitter and post silly pictures, status and unnecessary information like most people do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending