The Student Room Group

Am I really weird for not social networking?

Scroll to see replies

I don't consider it weird. I didn't have any until recently. I begrudgingly have Facebook because I'm now on a university society exec and the other members demanded that I have it. I've been told before that people are suspicious of me for not plastering my personal details over the internet like a diary.
Reply 21
Original post by Jokerjon
Its not weird I actually rate you and find it quite refreshing that as a individual you don't want to be sheep like everyone and jump on the social network hype of facebook and twitter and post silly pictures, status and unnecessary information like most people do.

It's the same reason folks like you and I have a load of neg rep.
Reply 22
Original post by Ladyliesel
I don't consider it weird. I didn't have any until recently. I begrudgingly have Facebook because I'm now on a university society exec and the other members demanded that I have it. I've been told before that people are suspicious of me for not plastering my personal details over the internet like a diary.

Exactly. I think the opposite. It's just normal privacy. I don;t want one person seeing an interaction I have with another, everything would get prejudiced.
Reply 23
Original post by Ladyliesel

It just seems uncaring. I'd rather have better quality real relationships.
It's beomce a personality issue, I think if someones like me regrads it, that they are more a viable partner, this hads proven true but sometimes I've liked girls who are totally exrovert, and on it all, and it puts me off, makes me think they wouldn't be in anything with you, dunno how right that is, but they are probablly unaware of the adverse effects-ie..if I appear popular I will do better.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
It's the same reason folks like you and I have a load of neg rep.

Yeah i know its quite sad vast amount of people cant accept and respect other peoples wishes and they will classify you as weird for jumping on the bandwagon like everyone else.
I think some people can definitely take social networks too seriously and I don't really think it's appropriate for people to publish every single aspect of their lives online, almost like a public diary, but when used in the right way they're pretty useful. I like being able to keep in touch with people I might not speak to everyday, like if someone posts about an interview or something I can send them a good luck text - I mainly talk with my closer friends offline, but for distant friends/relatives/acquaintances, social networks are handy.

They're also useful academically, for example I follow a few psychology related accounts on Twitter and I find all sorts of interesting things to read that I might not have found on my own. My university year group have a page on Facebook where we can ask each other questions and keep up-to-date on things relevant to us, and I recently advertised one of my studies on fb which got me probably ten times as many participants as I would have done advertising in person.

It's all about how you use social networks. It's down to personal preference whether you want to use them or not, but they don't have to be all that bad :smile:
Tbh, it will be viewed as weird. It doesn't necessarily mean you are weird, but I mean, 99% of students have Facebook, so people will definitely view it as a bit odd that you don't.
Nothing wrong with them for some people, but others get quickly pent up about the number of followers/friends they have, how much attention their posts get, what complete strangers think of them and so on. Me, I left Facebook in late 2011 because I straight up wasn't enjoying it any more because of all the pretentiousness on my news feed from people hungry for 'likes'-I could have started up a fresh account but must say I didn't care any more.

Too many people trying to be something they're not.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Tbh, it will be viewed as weird. It doesn't necessarily mean you are weird, but I mean, 99% of students have Facebook, so people will definitely view it as a bit odd that you don't.

I'm sure people found ways to communicate before Mark Zuckerberg told them how to.
Original post by Midlander
I'm sure people found ways to communicate before Mark Zuckerberg told them how to.

Yeah, and people communicated before the mobile phone too. People entertained themselves before the internet etc etc etc.

Generally, something becomes really popular because it's very effective. Most people find Facebook a very effective way to communicate with their friends. I probably use it less than most people though.

There's nothing wrong with not using it if you don't want to, but, rightly or wrongly, people will definitely find it a bit weird.
Reply 30
Original post by Anonymous
It's just that it's sort of public, like twitter. How much do you want to put ona site that your sibling, parents etc can see? And how much self promotion?
Facebook you can do for keeping intouch but it is not very private.
I suppose I just feel I might have missed out on more real social life and freinds by it, maybe i'm too self contained.

I also like to keep myself to myself and vary rarely use social networking, it can initially cause you to miss out socially to some extent. In having this attitude I found that it did hinder my chances somewhat in the first year of uni but on the flipside added to people's curiosity as they couldn't see my details online, which left more room for verbal communication.

Friends who initially applied peer pressure ended up getting adjusted to the idea that I wasn't bothered about self-promotion or other people's business and in my case, now fill me in on what they've done face-to-face. Also, have found that when I go out, I do alot of talking in comparison to most as I have not exhausted myself the conversation prior, via private messaging. Also there is a downside to relying on fb, for instance: I also felt sorry for a girl that I know, turned up to her birthday facebook event last week where 25 people were 'Going' to attend, after 45 mins there were 7 of us. :frown:

Also using social networking less makes you more mysterious as people cannot see what you've been up to and due to not following the flock in my case it's got to the point where the girls that I live with (one of which admits checking under my door to see if the light is on) will regularly ask me where/who I've been/with when I come back from nights out. So, I have found over the course of 1 and a half years that facebook may act as a catalyst in propelling you onto people's screens in the short-term; maybe for a few months, letting you initially acquire a wide range of acquaintances but in the long-term you tend to slot into social groups that you're comfortable with regardless of whether you regularly use social networking or not.

tldr: dw you're not weird :smile:
Yeah, and people communicated before the mobile phone too. People entertained themselves before the internet etc etc etc.

Generally, something becomes really popular because it's very effective. Most people find Facebook a very effective way to communicate with their friends. I probably use it less than most people though.

There's nothing wrong with not using it if you don't want to, but, rightly or wrongly, people will definitely find it a bit weird.

I just find it pathetic when events are organised and the sole reason for not being invited is 'well if you were on Facebook you'd have known about it'-it's almost as though people have forgotten how to physically speak to each other, let alone use a phone.
Original post by Midlander
I just find it pathetic when events are organised and the sole reason for not being invited is 'well if you were on Facebook you'd have known about it'-it's almost as though people have forgotten how to physically speak to each other, let alone use a phone.

Well if you didn't have a phone, would you expect people to write you a letter?

Facebook is the easiest way to arrange things. If you don't have it, I actually think it's a bit unfair of you to expect everyone else to go out of their way to invite you: the easiest solution would be you using facebook, rather than everyone else having to text you.

(This is making me sound like such a facebook fanboy, when I'm genuinely not lol. But it's just the easiest way to arrange events, so it makes sense that people use it for that purpose.)
Well if you didn't have a phone, would you expect people to write you a letter?

Facebook is the easiest way to arrange things. If you don't have it, I actually think it's a bit unfair of you to expect everyone else to go out of their way to invite you: the easiest solution would be you using facebook, rather than everyone else having to text you.

(This is making me sound like such a facebook fanboy, when I'm genuinely not lol. But it's just the easiest way to arrange events, so it makes sense that people use it for that purpose.)

You don't need everyone to text you. You just need one person to physically tell you an event is taking place, and when and where it is. Guess Zuckerberg's got their tongues.
Everyone is slating social networking but it does have its advantages. For example, I live in Scotland and right now we have a lot of snow (and still falling!) and is causing a lot of disruption for us. Our local radio station (as well as saying over the radio obviously) and police force are broadcasting updates regarding road closures, school closures etc via Facebook KNOWING that the majority of people now use this as a tool, a resource of information. Not only that, but locals on Facebook are sharing their own information regarding the roads and school which benefit everyone in the area too.

Its not all about 'me,me,me' all the time!
Reply 35
Youre not weird at all. Ive never really understood the need for social networking. I dont understand why i need to tell people what im doing in my life.
Reply 36
Original post by bssjonny
For me websites like twitter aren't really that sociable. They are basically a stage to show everyone your life. Nobody properly talks to one another on it.

I miss the msn and piczo days. Those were glorious times.

Exactly. It is showing off, I see that folks want to be part of stuff.
But it can put people off them for normal relationships, it just is quite public, isn;t really real, and then people can get preconceptions of people which mess with relationships.
Reply 37
Don't use facebook anymore, have never used twitter.
I use facebook instead of my phone :lol: I just PM someone where to we're meeting and then I go out (this is because I never have credit) and Twitter is for my stalking :colone:
Original post by bssjonny
For me websites like twitter aren't really that sociable. They are basically a stage to show everyone your life. Nobody properly talks to one another on it.

I miss the msn and piczo days. Those were glorious times.

I miss msn :frown: I've still got it on my laptop, lol. Nobody's ever on it now though. It was so much easier to just talk to people. Wish everyone still used it. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending