The Student Room Group

Integration Question!

Question: Integrate x^2 dx /((x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1))

(in words) (x squared dx) divided by (x + 1) times (x squared + x + 1)

I'm not really sure how I should start this, would I need to make a substitution or use "completing the square" on (x^2 + x + 1) then express in terms of partial fractions?
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
Question: Integrate x^2 dx /((x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1))

(in words) (x squared dx) divided by (x + 1) times (x squared + x + 1)

I'm not really sure how I should start this, would I need to make a substitution or use "completing the square" on (x^2 + x + 1) then express in terms of partial fractions?

Observe that x2(x2+x+1)(x+1)x^2 \equiv (x^2 +x + 1) - (x+1). Completing the square after a bit of manipulation from there is a good idea.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Observe that x2(x2+x+1)(x+1)x^2 \equiv (x^2 +x + 1) - (x+1). Completing the square after a bit of manipulation from there is a good idea.

I'm assuming then you would use partial fractions since you would get a product on the denominator?
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
I'm assuming then you would use partial fractions since you would get a product on the denominator?

Nope. Note that a+bcac+bc\dfrac{a+b}{c} \equiv \dfrac{a}{c} + \dfrac{b}{c}; after cancelling down, once of the terms can be integrated directly and the other can be tackled with completing the square (namely the one with x^2+x+1 in it's denominator).
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Nope. Note that a+bcac+bc\dfrac{a+b}{c} \equiv \dfrac{a}{c} + \dfrac{b}{c}; after cancelling down, once of the terms can be integrated directly and the other can be tackled with completing the square (namely the one with x^2+x+1 in it's denominator).

Oh I understand now, I didn't think of expressing x^2 like that. Thanks so much for your help! + rep :smile:

Quick Reply