The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of going to a grammar school?

I go to a grammar school (Kent), and the vast majority of us get good grades (not outstanding). Whenever i tell people i go to a grammar school, some act like its a big deal, but i was wondering why because there are people who go to comprehensive schools and they get just as good grades as we do, some better.
Don't get me wrong, i love going to a grammar school and am extremely grateful for it, i worked incredibly hard for it, my parents also as they had to pay for my tutoring.

So, what are the benefits?
(sensible answers, please)
I can understand why some people might feel uncomfortable with a private school, but I can't see the problem with a grammar school. It's just a matter of preference. Some people want to be in a highly academic environment, others find it easier to be in a more relaxed environment with less pressure. Personally, I'm glad I go to a comprehensive with a very relaxed reputation because that's how I work best but I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone if they told me they go to a grammar school. I know a number of really nice people who go to grammar (and private) schools.

I suppose the principal benefit of a grammar school is that the people tend to be of a higher academic calibre and they tend to be well motivated, so I assume there's a lot less messing about in classes. In a grammar school you're going to be with people who are of a similar intelligence to you whereas in a comprehensive school you mix with people of many intelligence levels. Grammar schools also tend to be better equipped than comprehensive schools since many have wealthy sponsors.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hotter teachers, probably.
Original post by Username97
I go to a grammar school (Kent), and the vast majority of us get good grades (not outstanding). Whenever i tell people i go to a grammar school, some act like its a big deal, but i was wondering why because there are people who go to comprehensive schools and they get just as good grades as we do, some better.
Don't get me wrong, i love going to a grammar school and am extremely grateful for it, i worked incredibly hard for it, my parents also as they had to pay for my tutoring.
So, what are the benefits? (sensible answers, please)

If you go to a grammar school, you should be able to answer this yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Pastaferian

You would think that, but actually some people don't have great GCSEs and are going off to college this year to do non-academic things (grammar schools are meant to encourage people to do well academically). I suppose we DO have good teachers and get pushed to do better, but that's not enough for some people (those not doing so well). For example, the entry requirement to get back into sixth form at my school is 6 Bs, and its 6 Cs at my friend's comprehensive. But some people who go to comprehensive still get better grades than those at grammar (and private) schools.
The teachers are meant to be better and the academic results are meant to be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
You would think that, but actually some people don't have great GCSEs and are going off to college this year to do non-academic things (grammar schools are meant to encourage people to do well academically). I suppose we DO have good teachers and get pushed to do better, but that's not enough for some people (those not doing so well). For example, the entry requirement to get back into sixth form at my school is 6 Bs, and its 6 Cs at my friend's comprehensive. But some people who go to comprehensive still get better grades than those at grammar (and private) schools.

That's interesting. You need As for my comprehensive sixth form. The problem with the whole grammar/comprehensive school divide is that the decision is based upon your academic performance at age 11. Obviously, it's impossible to gauge someone's academic ability properly at such a young age, which will naturally lead to more intelligent pupils not getting into grammar schools (assuming they wanted to in the first place) and less intelligent pupils getting into grammar schools.
Reply 7
I know a few people who went to grammar school (in kent, incidentally). At first we'd take the piss out of them for going to 'posh' school. And they'd take the piss out of me (and others) for being 'northern monkeys'. It's just banter at the end of the day.

In my experience, going to a grammar school doesn't necessarily make you elite. What matters (in my opinion) is your attitude to work, and you don't have to go to a grammar school to know that working hard = high grades in almost every situation.
Reply 8
Original post by Chlorophile
That's interesting. You need As for my comprehensive sixth form. The problem with the whole grammar/comprehensive school divide is that the decision is based upon your academic performance at age 11. Obviously, it's impossible to gauge someone's academic ability properly at such a young age, which will naturally lead to more intelligent pupils not getting into grammar schools (assuming they wanted to in the first place) and less intelligent pupils getting into grammar schools.

I agree. But i think its a good indication. I know people from my primary school who go to comprehensives and they seem fine where they are. I think i definitely do better at school than i did before (primary school), so it worked for me. My friend got in with an appeal- she didnt even pass- and shes among the people getting the best grades in the year.
I agree. But i think its a good indication. I know people from my primary school who go to comprehensives and they seem fine where they are. I think i definitely do better at school than i did before (primary school), so it worked for me. My friend got in with an appeal- she didnt even pass- and shes among the people getting the best grades in the year.

Perhaps, although I'd argue it's near impossible to gauge a person's mathematical ability in Year 6 since most of primary school mathematics is devoted towards the memorisation of times tables.
Reply 10
But he/she don't go to Comprehensive School
Reply 11
Original post by Pastaferian

But he/she does not go to Comprehensive school.
Reply 12
I passed my 11 plus, got into two grammer schools and turned them down for my comprehensive. Although it was because at each grammar school you had to wear a skirt until year 10, (although this has changed these days, for obvious reason). Anyway, I largely regret not going, not that I did bad, but I feel I would have done better.

And idk which grammar school in Kent you go too, but there's only one (I think?! 80 something.. i wanna say 8? And it's in Chatham....) with below 90% 5 A*-C. Even then, a large deal are 98/99 (I think something like 22 out of 32? It's been about a year since I studied the different outcomes of comprehensive vs grammar). Virtually all get 5 A* - C.

Basically, they clearly produce exceptional results.
Reply 13
I went to a comprehensive school and sixth form and achieved pretty much straight A's and B's. Im not a naturally clever person in the sense I can just walk into an exam with very little revision and do well, I have to work really hard for it. Yet I know people who go to grammar schools who dont put the effort in despite the expense and do quite badly therefore I think it depends on your drive, motivation and the effort you put in first off rather than the environment you're in. Parents paying your tuition fees arent going to fill your brain with knowledge if you're lazy. But saying that, it shouldn't matter what school you go to. As long as education has the option to be free, it doesnt matter :smile:
Reply 14

I go to a grammar school too! Advantages I can think of are...
It's basically free private school
Academic sets will have people closer to your ability as all sets aiming for A/A*
Everyone is very willing to learn and generally more well behaved than elsewhere
Because there are so many people of above average intelligence packed close together, we freak eachother out about exams so revise harder and despite hating life, get better grades than we would have otherwise :wink:

At comprehensive there's the number of people who don't care about their education, less departments and just not all the opportunities we can get. There's also, well I won't say "bad" because that's kinda rude, but those kinds of people you see at comprehensive that are just rebels and you can get into bad things. And I don't think grammar schools pay as much attention to counselling and that kinda stuff than comprehensive (we have a separate building in our school).
Reply 16
This is a really interesting discussion.

At age 11, I didn't do the 11 plus (wasn't particularly smart in primary school, larked around a lot), and went to the local comprehensive.

Did well in my GCSEs and got into one of the best grammar schools in the country.

I've had very mixed experiences with both, for my detailed breakdown of both and my entire story, I wrote a length blog post you can visit here: https://socialdilemmasblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/in-defence-of-grammar-schools/

All in all, I am in favour of both grammar schools and comprehensive schools, because they both fit different student's needs. I think the real problems arise when misinformation occurs (about the differences in quality of teaching), and when students end up at the wrong school for their needs, and end up blaming the school when they don't get the grades they thought they should have gotten.

Please leave a comment on my blog as to your thoughts on the topic!!
1. Learning English grammar :wink:
I’m in the exact same situation! I never used to be at all bothered about my education but worked so hard for my GCSEs and got into a really good grammar school for my A levels. And I have to say, I love it. Good grades is certainly not the only benefit of a grammar school. The teachers care SO much about our welfare and pay attention to us as individuals. The rest of the students are so kind and accepting. I haven’t known a single person be bullied at my school. The whole place is one little community, it is so humble and I really feel like I never want to leave. It’s not just about academic achievement- my school has matured me to be respectful, humble and hard working. I didn’t mind my comprehensive school but there were so many people with bad values. Nobody enjoyed or wanted to be there.
Original post by Chlorophile
I can understand why some people might feel uncomfortable with a private school, but I can't see the problem with a grammar school. It's just a matter of preference. Some people want to be in a highly academic environment, others find it easier to be in a more relaxed environment with less pressure. Personally, I'm glad I go to a comprehensive with a very relaxed reputation because that's how I work best but I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone if they told me they go to a grammar school. I know a number of really nice people who go to grammar (and private) schools.

I suppose the principal benefit of a grammar school is that the people tend to be of a higher academic calibre and they tend to be well motivated, so I assume there's a lot less messing about in classes. In a grammar school you're going to be with people who are of a similar intelligence to you whereas in a comprehensive school you mix with people of many intelligence levels. Grammar schools also tend to be better equipped than comprehensive schools since many have wealthy sponsors.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending