The Student Room Group

The Medics Gap Year Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Due to various reasons, I recently found out my application to Medicine for 2013 entry was unsuccessful... I admit I hadn't really prepared for this situation ( It was a sort of "ignore it and hopefully it won't happen" thing) but now I am faced with the reality of taking a year out of education I think I'm looking forward to it. Just wondering if there's anyone out there in the same position or anyone with suggestions on how to fill it in order to be a bit more successful next year?
Hi everyone just wanted a bit of advice about applying for a HCA job.

I've heard it's best to apply early but was wondering whether now would be 'too early' to start applying for a job that I would hope to start in September?

On the job description it says that the interview will be on the 12th of April. Theoretically, I could start in July but I'm going on holiday for a week in July and again in August.

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 42
Original post by z_2j96
Thanks for the reply. I'll post the ward details as soon as I find out. I already have 6 months experience as a carer which I'll put down when I apply. I'm applying for graduate entry btw. I think my current job as a carer will be very similar to a HCA in a normal ward. Just wondering will choosing the mental health HCA role hinder my application or experience... as its still commitment to a caring role. I'll make a firm decision on Monday. Whatever role gives me the best experience really in Medicine. :smile:

Hi, just browsing over these threads as i'm going to be a re-applicant for 2014 entry and just thought id give my opinion in that I would definitely go with the mental health HCA! I think it would show that you are capable of dealing with more difficult and distressed patients and show you have had an insight into some difficult situations which you may be faced with. There would also be many ethical, confidentiality and health and safety aspects of this that would prepare you for what to expect as a jr doctor. It would also be very interesting to talk about at interview as I can imagine it would stand out from the majority of work experiences.

just my personal view but good luck with whatever you choose! Can I ask how you applied for it? I'd love to get some experience like that to back up my application!

hope that helps
Original post by grace56
Due to various reasons, I recently found out my application to Medicine for 2013 entry was unsuccessful... I admit I hadn't really prepared for this situation ( It was a sort of "ignore it and hopefully it won't happen" thing) but now I am faced with the reality of taking a year out of education I think I'm looking forward to it. Just wondering if there's anyone out there in the same position or anyone with suggestions on how to fill it in order to be a bit more successful next year?

Hi,

I am in the same situation!

I've decided to get a job in a care home, been interviewing already actually and I am doing a medical training placement with Pulse Asia.

I was absolutely gutted, but I'm determined so I just have to pick myself up and try again. I'm hoping going on a placement will give me a boost and I think they really like a decent amount of work experience, so the care home work should help!

What have you decided to do?
Hi all,

Just found out I have 4 rejections for medicine (cue sobbing), so I have been applying for HCA type work to to do while I take a gap year.

I've been offered 2 jobs and just wondered if you could help me decide which would be best with my suture goal in mind.

1) Care Assistant in a christian nursing home, full time. Dealing with dementia, difficult behaviour, personal routines etc.

2) Healthcare Assistant in a community setting, travelling to people's homes, assisting with personal routines and facilitating independent living. Full time, pays slightly more.

Any advice appreciated, or suggestions of other job types. (There are no NHS HCA vacancies in my area unfortunately).
Id go for the nursing home, i currently work in a care home on a gap year and from what people say its better than the domiciliary stuff where you spend a lot of time driving from place to place.
also the fact that its a nursing home means (i imagine) you will be able to experience more on the clinical side of things...
I received 4 rejections this year for medicine :frown:

What are my options now?

I don't really want to take a gap year, nor do I 'really' want to do my 5th choice

What if I smash A-levels, and apply to something different through UCAS extra or clearing? (Something completely different like econ, law or finance)

Any help would be great!
In all honesty, you cannot apply through UCAS Extra / Clearing & realistically get into medicine.

Best options are:

1. Take a gap year & re-apply for medicine

2. A 5th choice of e.g. biomedical sciences

3. Apply abroad (but it's a bit late now)

The main problem is, most applicants smash their A-levels, so that is not what differentiates you. They treat the academics as a given....It's all down to extra-curricular (to a lesser extent) / work experience / personal statement / interviews

And you can work on all those if you take a gap year - which would be my overall recommendation :smile:

Good luck whatever you decide to do
Reply 48
Original post by Lionheartat20
In all honesty, you cannot apply through UCAS Extra / Clearing & realistically get into medicine.

Best options are:

1. Take a gap year & re-apply for medicine

2. A 5th choice of e.g. biomedical sciences

3. Apply abroad (but it's a bit late now)

The main problem is, most applicants smash their A-levels, so that is not what differentiates you. They treat the academics as a given....It's all down to extra-curricular (to a lesser extent) / work experience / personal statement / interviews

And you can work on all those if you take a gap year - which would be my overall recommendation :smile:

Good luck whatever you decide to do

He said apply to something else through clearing not Medicine.
Original post by Paddy S
He said apply to something else through clearing not Medicine.

Sorry !

That's really up to yourself to decide how you feel about studying something else apart from medicine I guess :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by ProRunner123
I received 4 rejections this year for medicine :frown:

What are my options now?

I don't really want to take a gap year, nor do I 'really' want to do my 5th choice

What if I smash A-levels, and apply to something different through UCAS extra or clearing? (Something completely different like econ, law or finance)

Any help would be great!

I understand you don't want to take a gap year (I would feel the same!) but it could be the best option for you. Perfect your personal statement, work experience and interview questions over that time, maybe even become an HCA for a year!
It's NEVER too late! I'm going into biomedical science at the age of 20, and I want to apply to graduate medicine.
I felt the same about not getting in but believe me, if you want to be a doctor that badly, what's a year? You may benefit from it.
Medicine is incredibly over subscribed so down beat yourself up... Please!

Also, perhaps try and apply to Clinical Sciences at Leeds through clearing or extra. They have space every year. It has a possible transfer to Leeds.

Best of luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Got 4 rejections, and will go on a gap year!

I know a doctor in a hospital, more specifically a surgeon, and I asked him if I could in any way get work experience in that hospital. He said that he was willing and could take me there everyday I wanted, and shadow him when he is operating other people.

I am seeing many people applying for HCA, but there's no such thing as gap year students working in such jobs in my country...

So my doubt is that is shadowing a doctor as relevant as being a HCA, or does being a HCA bring more advantages in terms of work experience?

I do think that it all comes to what you can reflect from those two roles, but university's mind can sometimes be very picky in what they want...
Original post by becky1237
I understand you don't want to take a gap year (I would feel the same!) but it could be the best option for you. Perfect your personal statement, work experience and interview questions over that time, maybe even become an HCA for a year!
It's NEVER too late! I'm going into biomedical science at the age of 20, and I want to apply to graduate medicine.
I felt the same about not getting in but believe me, if you want to be a doctor that badly, what's a year? You may benefit from it.
Medicine is incredibly over subscribed so down beat yourself up... Please!

Also, perhaps try and apply to Clinical Sciences at Leeds through clearing or extra. They have space every year. It has a possible transfer to Leeds.

Best of luck!

Don't bother with bradford it would be safer to reapply, everybody on that course is fighting for those spots.
Reply 53
Original post by jinye
Got 4 rejections, and will go on a gap year!

I know a doctor in a hospital, more specifically a surgeon, and I asked him if I could in any way get work experience in that hospital. He said that he was willing and could take me there everyday I wanted, and shadow him when he is operating other people.

I am seeing many people applying for HCA, but there's no such thing as gap year students working in such jobs in my country...

So my doubt is that is shadowing a doctor as relevant as being a HCA, or does being a HCA bring more advantages in terms of work experience?

I do think that it all comes to what you can reflect from those two roles, but university's mind can sometimes be very picky in what they want...

Working as a HCA is different to getting work experience because you have responsibility for caring for people (where as workexperience you'll most likely be shadowing and learning without being fully involved).

I think HCA work is good but I reckon that some good long term voluntary work is equally as worthwhile doing, like you say its more about what you've learnt from the experiences and how you demonstrate what you've learnt.
Reply 54
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
Hi,

I am in the same situation!

I've decided to get a job in a care home, been interviewing already actually and I am doing a medical training placement with Pulse Asia.

I was absolutely gutted, but I'm determined so I just have to pick myself up and try again. I'm hoping going on a placement will give me a boost and I think they really like a decent amount of work experience, so the care home work should help!

What have you decided to do?

Still not sure, I've got Biology and chemistry coursework going on so I haven't really had time to think things through!
I have a few things lined up, hopefully qualifying as a First Responder in the summer and some work experience with an orthopaedic consultant. Also, since I'll have a bit of time on my hands I may do a scuba diving course then go volunteering on a marine conservation project! Not very medicine related i know, but I really want to do something completely different. I think I will try and do a hospital placement in another country but its all so expensive! so maybe some working to save up first..
Reply 55
Original post by Hippokrates
Don't bother with bradford it would be safer to reapply, everybody on that course is fighting for those spots.

In all honesty, I have to agree. The course leader is apparently a complete dragon too.
Reply 56
Hi, :smile:

I would like some advice about getting into medical school second time round and what is the best course of action after rejections:

I am in year 13 and have applied to medicine this year. I have had 3 rejections (Exeter, Sheffield and Nottingham) and BSMS have put me on the PREinterview reserve list where they have emphasised that any chance with this is low.:s-smilie: The good news is that I have offers for Clinical science at Exeter (AAB) and Medical Pharamcology at Cardiff (AAB).

I am faced with dilema:confused:, (as I am sure many others are)of what to do next year: Gap year or take my insurance. I was wondering people's opinions and what did you choose? what did you do in the gap year? What would you reccomend? How was applying second time round etc? Really would love some advice.:colondollar:

Thank youxxx

Here is just a general brief background on results etc on application:
GCSEs- 4A* 7A
AS levels- aaaab
A2 predicted - AAA
UKCAT - 625
Experience: work every sat at mencap (disabled persons charity), 4 week research project, 1 week at kings college hospital, deputy head girl....
Reply 57
Original post by Siani94
Hi, :smile:

I would like some advice about getting into medical school second time round and what is the best course of action after rejections:

I am in year 13 and have applied to medicine this year. I have had 3 rejections (Exeter, Sheffield and Nottingham) and BSMS have put me on the PREinterview reserve list where they have emphasised that any chance with this is low.:s-smilie: The good news is that I have offers for Clinical science at Exeter (AAB) and Medical Pharamcology at Cardiff (AAB).

I am faced with dilema:confused:, (as I am sure many others are)of what to do next year: Gap year or take my insurance. I was wondering people's opinions and what did you choose? what did you do in the gap year? What would you reccomend? How was applying second time round etc? Really would love some advice.:colondollar:

Thank youxxx

Here is just a general brief background on results etc on application:
GCSEs- 4A* 7A
AS levels- aaaab
A2 predicted - AAA
UKCAT - 625
Experience: work every sat at mencap (disabled persons charity), 4 week research project, 1 week at kings college hospital, deputy head girl....

Your in the same position as alot of people and as I was last year I wrote a long post about this on my blog have a look in the end the decisions your and mostly its down to your grades.
Reply 58
If you really want to do medicine you would be best advised to take a gap year, get some really good vounteering and work experience, and work hard to improve your UKCAT - aiming for 700+. You need to really research options to work out where you can maximise your chances of interview. Most importantly of all, start your PS early and circulate it widely for feedback, but defintiely use the PS advisors on TSR.
Reply 59
Original post by aggie30
Your in the same position as alot of people and as I was last year I wrote a long post about this on my blog have a look in the end the decisions your and mostly its down to your grades.

Hi, thank you I took a look at your blog page :smile: I will take your advice. Is there any more advice on getting a job as a HCA, did u apply for a job via NHS jobs? Also did you go abroad anywhere or do any volunteering on top of your job?

Thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending